Diesel Exhaust Cleanup - Interior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heap

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 400
Had an exhaust elbow fracture underway. Lots of black smoke and fumes in the interior. Engine room took the brunt of it, but there is still a light oily soot in the cabin. Surprisingly, not much smell though. Anybody have advice on the best way to:
1. Clean the oily soot from the interior?
2. Clean the engines?
3. Clean the interior of the engine room?

Cleaning soot from engine room

Just had same happen to me on Yanmar 240. Cleaned engines and er with bucket of water , shot of dawn dish washing detergent, and roll off. Roll off is great , I order by gallon. Good luck, lots of rubbing, but er looks new now!?

Roll off cleaner. Good for soot and oil.

In ER: Tyvek suit, respirator, krud kutter, hi pressure water sprayer to rinse.

There are a variety of soot and smoke cleaners on the market. Amazon has several.

When we had smoke and soot cover our boat interior after a Magnum inverter meltdown, we used Simple Green as a quick fix since we were still cruising. It worked well.

When we got home, we cleaned the walls again with a spray smoke and soot cleaner.

The really hard to remove soot came off with lacquer solvent.

Super Clean. Buy at Wal-Mart.

I use it in a bug sprayer, then rinse with water. Cleans fuel up real good....:dance:

Attachments

• 3ccde994-866c-41a5-8452-57c6d1e1bd9d_1.e93d5d12ea55d6ee3aaab6714328e654.jpeg
    3ccde994-866c-41a5-8452-57c6d1e1bd9d_1.e93d5d12ea55d6ee3aaab6714328e654.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 39
Had something similar happen in the old boat, you have my sympathies. It's a big job getting in all the books and crannies.

I also vote for roll off and the purple cleaner. Cover your battery charger and alternators when spraying water in the er.

I know you realize this now, and I don't mean to rub it in, but as a warning to others you've really got to watch the elbows on yanmars, they rust out quickly. I replaced mine with stainless after market elbows, I'm hoping they give better life.

Last edited:
Thanks, I just replaced both mine with Stainless also, it was a pain in the butt. Anything else you had problems with?

Back
Top Bottom