Old 01-31-2017, 11:04 PM   #41
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
Applied kiwigrip a few weeks ago on the aft deck of my Gulf Star 36 MKII I'm restoring. I posted pics on the other thread: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ect-29367.html

That looks GREAT!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Valdez, Alaska
Vessel Name: M/V Infinity
Vessel Model: Universal Litton 36
I've purchased a couple gallons of Kiwigrip for my rebuilt upper decks, currently I think that's the route I'm going to go although I still can't quite decide. The previous owner used Durabak after they tore the teak off and presumably rolled a coat of epoxy over it (yep, it leaks.) I didn't mind the Durabak too much until it came time to remove it, that was a nightmare of slow grinding to re-glass the front cabin.

Anyone had to remove Kiwigrip? It seems like it'd be tough to get off, versus most paints could be sanded and deck repairs done. Maybe I'm just being paranoid after my flybridge roof rebuild. I'd just hate to put something down I don't like then have to grind it all off an inch at a time like I did the Durabak.. With that said, my new DIY bare fiberglass roof/decks I've redone aren't a perfect flat finish, so I'm probably best staying with a more rubbery Kiwigrip/Durabak type finish than a glossier poyurethane or something.

Anyone with major regrets on the Kiwigrip? Maybe try to minimize texture for cleaning? Anyone tried to remove Kiwigrip?
Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I just put Kiwigrip on my decks. Haven't had to remove it yet since it is only 2 weeks old. I suspect it would involve a lot of sanding. I did sand off the non skid texture on the decks first so I am experienced in sanding the decks. I think that if I had to sand a large area of Kiwigrip, I would look into a commercial sander like what is used on hardwood floors to sand around the edges, not the large belt sanders. That would get the large open areas and I would have to use a D/A sander in close quarters. I used a regular roller cover on the top of my sundeck hardtop since I was not looking for large texture. It worked ok, but I did need 2 coats since it went on thinner than normal. Overall I am very happy with the Kiwigrip so far.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote