Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have not used Tuff Coat, but my concern with it was that it has granules of rubber in the paint. Over time my concern could be that the granules would break out of the paint. I have been using Kiwigrip and so far love it. I have put some on some small vertical surfaces and it worked out well. I used a regular paint roller so that the texture would not be as rough on the vertical surface. I will be painting all the decks with Kiwigrip. I have lots of riberglass work to do before the painting.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:32 AM   #22
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Not to go cheapo down market but a friend of mine who has a steel boat swears by garage floor paint according to him it's a great job for filling small imperfections and hard wearing.
I have no experience first hand, but I'm considering painting my decks this summer so I'm glad to follow comments here from people with practical experience.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
O C Diver,
How is the Kiwi-Grip working out? I was at a local fiberglass supply shop and they are recommending Tuff Coat paint Tuff Coat Marine | Worlds #1 Rubberized Non-Skid
Has anyone used Tuff Coat?
Cheers
HI Henry, Kiwi-grip is holding up great! My only comment is to play with a few squares of cardboard before doing the boat. The more Kiwi you apply and the more aggressive you are with the roller, the more aggressive the cured surface will be. There is some shrinkage when it dries. We did the swim platform first. The dried cured surface is ok, but would have liked it just a little more aggressive. Rest of the boat is great as we went a little thicker and a little more rolling.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #24

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Ted,
Thank you for the information. I am going to the dealer on Friday to see what my options are. We are going with a barely grey color.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I would second the idea of practicing before you paint. We wanted a fairly smooth surface on the top of our sundeck hardtop so I used a regular 3/8" roller and got a little nonskid texture but not really aggressive. On the swim platform, we did the regular 3/8" roller around the edge and then taped it off and went with the regular Kiwigrip roller in the main area. It was very easy to apply and I think it looks great.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #26

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
My cockpit deck needs painting badly. The problem is that when I did my swim platform last winter I used Awlgrip and it came out spectacular. Yes, it's pricey and I did it in a controlled atmosphere and it's toxic, but I will regret using something else when I step onto my platform and then onto a lesser product on my cockpit deck. The bridge needs it too.
I'm not saying that all the above products aren't good enough. But I would like a consistent look throughout. Oh yes, the foredeck needs painting too.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady View Post
My cockpit deck needs painting badly. The problem is that when I did my swim platform last winter I used Awlgrip and it came out spectacular. Yes, it's pricey and I did it in a controlled atmosphere and it's toxic, but I will regret using something else when I step onto my platform and then onto a lesser product on my cockpit deck. The bridge needs it too.
I'm not saying that all the above products aren't good enough. But I would like a consistent look throughout. Oh yes, the foredeck needs painting too.
Not sure what you mean by toxic, it cleans up with soap and water. A quick check from where I purchased it, $126 a gallon including a 4" roller cover and free shipping. For 80 sqft. of coverage, I think that's pretty reasonable.

Ted
Old 01-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #28
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
Went with KiwiGrip with all deck surfaces. Very happy with it. Very very easy to apply and repairs perfectly. Feels just right under foot. Textured, but rubbery. The rubbery-ness makes it pretty darned durable when stuff is dropped on deck. The texture roller is easy to work with. If you want a specific color, you can bring a can of pure white to Home Cheapo or a paint shop for them to add pigment to your liking. Some tips on application include:
1.) Don't... apply when it is too hot (less than 80 degrees is good)
2.) Do... keep an extra roller ready and switch every 20 min or so. You will see the roller start to load up with "boogers".
3.) Always... pull the tape *immediately* after putting down a coat to avoid pulling the paint up wit hit. When I say immediately I mean pull the tape a few feet at a time as you are painting.

My only complaint is it holds dirt more than a 2-part poly with non-skid. The "trick" is... Apply Woody Wax every now and then.
Put Kiwi on my decks last September and it does everything you say but I will not use it again as after only a few weeks it looks years old and holds dirt like nothing I've ever seen and is impossible to get clean. I've heard about the Woody Wax thing but after spending that kind of money on a deck paint I don't think I should have to wax it.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #29

Maybe toxic was the wrong word. Respirator needed, I'll be doing the work in a small enclosed space. I'm one of those guys that follows every manufacturers suggestion and buys the compatible product to ensure the result will be as intended. I tipped and rolled, so I bought, pre cleaner, additives, reducer, converter, primer, non skid, etc. With that being said, I had a few issues that required corrective measures before I arrived at the final product. O C Diver, is that the price of the custom tinted color, or the straight white?
Old 01-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady View Post
Maybe toxic was the wrong word. Respirator needed, I'll be doing the work in a small enclosed space. I'm one of those guys that follows every manufacturers suggestion and buys the compatible product to ensure the result will be as intended. I tipped and rolled, so I bought, pre cleaner, additives, reducer, converter, primer, non skid, etc. With that being said, I had a few issues that required corrective measures before I arrived at the final product. O C Diver, is that the price of the custom tinted color, or the straight white?
Are we talking about the same product?

Prep is lightly sand the surface, wash with soap and water, tape edges as required, apply Kiwi and roll to desired texture. Kiwigrip comes in 5 colors, not aware of being able to custom tint it. The price is the same for all of the available 5 colors.

Ted
Old 01-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Put Kiwi on my decks last September and it does everything you say but I will not use it again as after only a few weeks it looks years old and holds dirt like nothing I've ever seen and is impossible to get clean. I've heard about the Woody Wax thing but after spending that kind of money on a deck paint I don't think I should have to wax it.
Mine does hold dirt in the more textured areas. I use a stiff bristled brush on a broom handle with a little soap and water about once a month to make it look like new again.

Ted
Old 01-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I agree that it does hold dirt more than a 2part poly with non-skid. IMO the cost is not much. Also we wash our boats every 1 to 2 weeks, scrubbing the decks with a medium stiffness brush. We are almost always barefoot or wearing flipflops. There isn't much dirt down here, just the white coral stone dust.

I could imagine in the Pacific Northwest (I'm from Oregon) it would be a little harder. Clay mud and slime mold from the dank weather. But up there everybody has steel/aluminum boats with adhesive "sandpaper" non-skid and they wear boots. So geographic location could be a factor in your non-skid application.
Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
Applied kiwigrip a few weeks ago on the aft deck of my Gulf Star 36 MKII I'm restoring. I posted pics on the other thread: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ect-29367.html
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20161218_164159.jpeg   IMG_20161218_164210.jpeg   IMG_20161218_164217.jpeg   IMG_20161218_164315.jpeg   IMG_20161218_164346.jpeg  

IMG_20161218_170208.jpeg  
Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #34
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
I agree that it does hold dirt more than a 2part poly with non-skid. IMO the cost is not much. Also we wash our boats every 1 to 2 weeks, scrubbing the decks with a medium stiffness brush. We are almost always barefoot or wearing flipflops. There isn't much dirt down here, just the white coral stone dust.

I could imagine in the Pacific Northwest (I'm from Oregon) it would be a little harder. Clay mud and slime mold from the dank weather. But up there everybody has steel/aluminum boats with adhesive "sandpaper" non-skid and they wear boots. So geographic location could be a factor in your non-skid application.
I consider $200US/gal. expensive.

We are currently cruising the Bahamas and Sharon is outside scrubbing the deck again (weekly) .... I can hear her grumbling it just looks dirty all the time. The name of our boat is DIRT FREE, ironic huh?

I applied it with a tight foam roller so there is little texture to hold the dirt. When we get back to Florida in Late spring we will overcoat it with something else.

Glad it works for you but we are not happy with it.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #35

O C Diver,
No, we are not talking about the same product. Reread my first post...I used Awlgrip on my swim platform.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #36
Guru

We've been usin' cheaper than dirt exterior water-based house paint for the 16 years we've owned our boat. Easy touch-up as the Kalifornia sun blends it right in. Bein' water-based, clean-up is a snap.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:45 PM   #37
Guru

What about truck bed liner paint?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 PM   #38
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I've used Kiwi Grip for years, with consistently good results. It's best feature is that you can touch up wear areas and the margins fade into the existing surface. Drys very hard. Great product.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:54 PM   #39

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
We use Interlux Brightside Poly.

Should have put a small bit of anti-skid in or on it.

The light tan is Bright Side in all three pics. Same as the darker reddish tan on the cabin sides. The white deck in the first pic is old ?? but it's BS now. The green is gone. The cabin side is "Sundowner Buff". It has some red in it. It gets lots of compliments.

In the cabin I use "deck and patio" latex. Excellent wear resistance.
Very nice photos.
I totally agree on Brightside, have been using it for twenty five years.
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:58 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Passage Maker Magazine had an article about truck bed liner on the deck over teak. I spoke to the owner several years later about how he liked it and how it held up. He said it held up very well. He would have done it a bit lighter in color, but other than that he was happy with it. There is a Linex franchise in Tampa (maybe) that has done many boats. He uses a slightly different formulation than the standard liner material. It is not cheap. There isn't a franchise near me that has experience with boat decks so I am using Kiwigrip instead.