Deck Paint Prep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Restitution

Vessel Name
"Restitution"
Vessel Make
38' Californian
We own a 78 Californian Tri-Cabin. The deck paint was originally white non skid type (perhaps part of fiberglass?) At some juncture, a light blue deck paint was applied over the top of the white (also non skid). The problem is that the blue is pealing up in places and it appears as if the original white was not cleaned and prepared properly before the blue was applied. Some of the blue peals up, some of it is secure. I have a few questions.

1. How do I chip up/remove blue paint so to get to a good solid surface? I
cannot imagine the mess and work involved in either chipping all of the blue
paint off or using a messy paint remover of some type????
2. IF we leave some of the blue paint, should I re-paint the same color, just in
case of future small chips in new paint doesn't reveal a different color, OR
can I paint it tan.

Attachments

• Spring 2012 Boat pics 007.jpg
    Spring 2012 Boat pics 007.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 98
We did the front deck last month. We taped everything then sanded off the old non skid which was Awlgrip. Then repaired any cracks dents, etc with West System and sanded again. We used a varnish roller for the new Awlgrip rolled once, added the non-skid and rolled once again.

Attachments

• deck refin.jpg
    deck refin.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 78
We did the front deck last month. We taped everything then sanded off the old non skid which was Awlgrip. Then repaired any cracks dents, etc with West System and sanded again. We used a varnish roller for the new Awlgrip rolled once, added the non-skid and rolled once again.

+1:thumb:

That's the way to do it. But look at using Moby Deck, its flexible. And use ground rubber for the non-skid part.
Moby Deck Coating System
I can't post any pics until I get back to teh boat in a couple of weeks.

All the reply's are great advise...

Just remember to get some good rubber feet to go on those deck chairs or you will be looking at the blue deck too soon.. no matter what system you use
HOLLYWOOD

clean the surface with a pressure washer to get off loose paint. Roll on thin coat of epoxy as a primer and sealer - with grit mixed in. note that grit comes in several sizes and materials and application varies - match the grit to the coating. Also, some folks want a grit for bare feet, other for serious anti slip in sea boots. Lots of experimentation to get what you want. Over the epoxy apply exterior latex in color you want...

paul

Valuable info. I am also doing my deck hardware, sealing the cracks and painting this month. Sure wish there was another way of doing the non-skid without sanding the old print down. Thanks for the info.

Hey Sam! A-21 here! Your boat is looking great!

Hello there Tom, skipping work and going to the port today. Just acquired new VHF/Hailer and going to install today. Thanks for the compliment. It's been a lot of hard work. Now waiting for temps above 50 and low humidity to begin applying the finish.

Back
Top Bottom