Deck paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
I am redoing my deck and I am looking for ideas on deck paint.

Specifically, the primary feature of deck paint is it’s non slip feature. Unfortunately that nonslip feature makes it difficult to keep the deck clean. The non slip features traps dirt. Interlux deck coat, the paint I had on my deck was very hard to keep clean.

What types of paint have you guys used that are easy to clean and have anti slip properties?

I put Kiwigrip on our decks 3 years ago. It is certainly nonskid if you use their roller. On our sundeck hardtop I didn’t want that aggressive nonskid so I used a regular roller cover and it came out with some texture but not as aggressive. We really like the Kiwigrip so far. It is easy to repair, the PO had the deck core replaced in a couple of places and they didn’t glass over the cuts so over time the cuts started moving. I sand the Kiwigrip off with a belt sander using 40 grit paper. Otherwise it is so tough that lesser sandpaper doesn’t do much. In order to help with cleaning it I use Woody Wax (surfboard wax) so stuff doesn’t stick as easily. You just spray the Woody Wax on when the deck is clean and wet, brush it around and let it dry for 30 minutes. Then rinse the deck to get the excess wax off. Very easy to use. The really nice thing about Kiwigrip is that the deck finish before painting doesn’t have to be perfect since the Kiwigrip covers a lot of minor issues. It is also water based so the cleanup is easy. Just don’t let the paint dry before pulling off the tape or the tape will never come off. No affiliation.

I'm not disparaging the use of a non-skid like Kiwi-grip or similar non-slip treatments on a boat if that's what you want but I would never use it on a boat and expect it to look like a professional job. It does a good job of hiding deck imperfections and flaws but it holds dirt and I'm not aware that it can be bought in too many different colors or if it can be tinted. I used it in the bottom of 2 different skiffs that I've owned in the past ,where it was fine, but like I said, it was ok in those applications because I didn't care too much about the appearance and it was an easy way to hide my fiberglass patch job but it would hold dirt and the color changed over time from white to a dingy gray.
It's great for what it is but for me, it's not yacht quality.

Back
Top Bottom