Davits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
Hi TF'ers

I'm restoring my swim step but considering real Davits since the Weavers are difficult for us to use with our hard dinghy, and the extra stress on the swim platform caused one of the platform supports to crack.

My research so far has come up with these manufacturers.

Resources

Atkins & Hoyle, Ltd.
www.atkinshoyle.com

Edson
http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinestore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=88

Forespar
http://www.forespar.com/Nova-Stern-Davit-Set-Rails.shtml

Martek
http://www.martekdavits.com

Ocean Marine
https://www.oceanmarinesystems.com

St. Croix
#1 Choice for Davits, Cranes & Lifting Devices - St. Croix Marine Products

There are others and among the above prices vary greatly.

I wonder what king of stress the Edson & St Croix put on the stern bulkhead rail, it seems they are only mounted at one point. I'd be interested in reading folks experiences and/or recommendations.

Cheers

Last edited:
Have you looked at Sea Wise? Had one on a previous boat and loved it.

Ocean Marine. Helpful. Strong enough for our Walker Bay 10.4 + 15 hp Honda. Needed to add a winch for the motor end. I followed their instructions for mounting. They forever gave us the phrase, prominent on their instructions, "Nothing we make floats".

See pics on my posts from 2016.

Don't forget Roskelley-Olsson Davits right here in Seattle. Yes, Sam Olsson is a friend of mine so I'm biased.

If I were buying I'd look at above mentioned Olsson and Nick Jackson style they swing the dinghy out from the transom as it is lowered so it doesn't land onto the swim platform when lowered or get hooked on the swim platform as it is raised. I have never owned either of these so they may have some disadvantage I don't know of.

I know Sam Olsson, he does quality work. I know Nic Jackson as well, he too does quality work. I had a 40year old Nic Jackson davit, it always worked. After forty years sitting on the back of my boat in salt water the finish was worse for the wear. I sent it to Nic and $500 later I got back what looked like a brand new davit.

Highly recommend both of these manufactures.

Before installing a set of davits be sure your dink has a bottom drain (garboard plug) that is automatic or easy to reach.

A dink full of rainwater is heavy!!!!

Garhauer Marine

OP profile says Seattle, so I think it is a good idea to deal locally and directly when you can.

Dave: Forgot to mention these high-quality and versatile davits from Double-Doody!

Attachments

• 6DF0C930-0905-48D7-A30D-BBC2F4F181F2.jpeg
    6DF0C930-0905-48D7-A30D-BBC2F4F181F2.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 463
Double=doody drops it, splat, right onto the swim platform

Someone's leg is being pulled. A Google search for this invention does not reward the effort. If it ain't on the 'net, it cannot be true!

We have the Rosskelly-Olsson transom mounted davits. Love them! Fast and easy launch and retrieve.

Attachments

• IrishLady2014 056.jpg
    IrishLady2014 056.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Homemade.com. A local farmer that builds race cars for a hobby built these for me. I think I have about $600 in them .They're a little crude but they get the job done. They bolt thru the transom.It's too late now but with all the roof space we have I could've spent more time and figured out how build a crane and stored it on the roof .

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Homemade.com. A local farmer that builds race cars for a hobby built these for me. I think I have about $600 in them .They're a little crude but they get the job done. They bolt thru the transom.It's too late now but with all the roof space we have I could've spent more time and figured out how build a crane and stored it on the roof .

Thanks for posting the pic., They look great to me. The commercial stuff is totally outrageous in price and most of them will not even come close in quality. I would love to try something like that when I get too old for my " dinghy ramp " FB

We have a 26 year old Roskelly-Olson that we're happy with, and you can still call the shop and ask questions about it and get useful answers.

There is a new company called Xpose Marine. They have a website xposemarine.com. I haven't personally tried them out. They are located in South Surrey, south of Vancouver B.C.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom