Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #21

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Knot Hours
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I am assuming you are talking about your windscreen on your fly bridge?
No, I'm talking about the actual PH L and R curved windshields.
Juliet 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #22

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Knot Hours
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Thanks all. I'm not sure that polishing will work, as it looks like it goes all the way thru, but I'll try it first (cheapest).

If that doesn't work, I'll try looking for a company to make them (I just don't feel manufacturing them myself is my strength).

If those courses of action fail, I'll give it a shot myself.

Thanks for your insights - I sure appreciate our forum.
Juliet 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Ursa Major
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54
There is a guy at Stingraypointe Boatworks that made a plastic window to a custom shape when I was having work done there. He is a skilled woodworker too. stingraypoint boat works | Stingray Point Boat Works

Paul
Sangraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #24
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
In his 60s and 70s, my father, who had spent 30 years in the Navy maintaining aircraft from Seaman to Commander, built a couple of airplanes in his garage which had full bubble canopies. One was a half-scale P-51 Mustang; so you get the idea of the complexity involved. He built an "oven" out of plywood with oven heating rods placed here and there and connected to individual rheostats in which to melt the Plexiglas over a form. I am sure making the form was the hardest part of the whole process because the "oven" was certainly a slapped-together looking hot mess. In the case at hand, the basis for making the form is at hand in the form of the original windshield. I want to remember that Dad used styrofoam or some other such easily worked material covered with felt - not sure because after age 18, the Navy kept me away from home except for a week or so every year which meant I saw the planes and the processes in snapshots as they were fabricated.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #25
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
You might have better luck finding some one to make these windows if you talk to your local glass guys.

You can also call Calsak Plastics https://www.calsakplastics.com/ they are the big supplier of acrylic and polycarbonate in Washington.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Long before I ever thought of this being a problem, I broke one of the curved Lexan (or maybe Plexiglass ) pieces of the Venturi screen on my flybridge.

I took the broken piece and all the unbroken pieces to my local auto glass shop and asked for a replacement. A week later I go the replacement, curved to exactly the right curvature and in a Bronze tint, so eliminating the purple that the original had faded to.

That was 24 yrs ago and the new is still the colour it started out.
I asked the glass shop guy how he did it. He used the warm and droop method, as set out in some detail above.

That cost me $500Cdn in 1995 for a Venturi approx 12 ft wide by 1 ft high.

Find a good Auto Glass shop.