To cover or not to cover varnish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamarks

Vessel Name
MANGO
Vessel Make
Symbol/58 pilothouse
I have high gloss varnish on my aft deck cap boards that was just done.
The question is, do I cover them w. The black canvas covers that came with boat, or leave wood and varnish exposed to UV? I am concerned the black will cause heat to break the varnish Down faster, but UV has to be worse??

The small area cost me considerable money to have maintained so I want to get the best protection I can.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

First welcome aboard. Next, I would cover it to keep the UV off. When it comes time to have new covers made, I would go with a lighter color of canvas.

Cover it with paint.
Problem sorted, use boat instead of varnishing

And welcome

I covered my cap rails with Awlwood two years ago, and have left it uncovered since. In order to get the 5/7 year life of Awlwood, you have to strip, and start over, so that may not be practical right now, but I would consider it next time. I don’t cover my varnish because I like seeing it, but if you must, I would use beige canvas.
Best,
Maldwin

We covered the side rails on our Hatteras 56MY with black Sunbrella covers, courtesy of a PO. Only took them off for special occasions or when we just felt like it. I think in almost 7 years of ownership, touched them up once. Boat was used year around up and down the eastern seaboard.

Thanks for response & the welcome aboard.
I love seeing the wood and it really makes the back deck but I will start covering it up on week days and days I travel...

Attachments

• B134C002-936B-40BE-9261-D3AFE5382662.jpg
    B134C002-936B-40BE-9261-D3AFE5382662.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 101
UV is the bad guy. If you're in FL I would have 10 coats and cover when not in use.

Cover it w a material that breaths well. Condensation under the cover and other sources of moisture will promote mildew and similar.

Maldwin wrote;
“I covered my cap rails with Awlwood”
What on earth is Awlwood?

Thanks for response & the welcome aboard.
I love seeing the wood and it really makes the back deck but I will start covering it up on week days and days I travel...

Welcome! As mentioned, uv is the bad guy. Keep them covered to get the longest life. In my opinion, varnish looks superior to paint on cap rails and other trim. Yours looks great!

Welcome! As mentioned, uv is the bad guy. Keep them covered to get the longest life. In my opinion, varnish looks superior to paint on cap rails and other trim. Yours looks great!

Do you have covers for yours? Pics? Describe? Thinking of making some for my 36.

Yes. I cover all the outside varnish with Sunbrella canvas professionally made locally. Attaches mostly with DOT Snap fasteners. I also use DOT Twist Lock fasteners as well as Lift-the-DOT studs. No photos. However, I can post photos next week if this thread is still active.

Edit: found this photo.

Attachments

• 6BD2708A-780B-4586-B1C0-87E2C2A0376B.jpg
    6BD2708A-780B-4586-B1C0-87E2C2A0376B.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Gig,
Do you go cruising w them on like Marin did?

Eric,

Nope! I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the varnish ��. However, that’s a great idea. I could leave the canvas on all the time and never varnish again. Wouldn’t even have the cost of paint!

Yes. I cover all the outside varnish with Sunbrella canvas professionally made locally. Attaches mostly with DOT Snap fasteners. I also use DOT Twist Lock fasteners as well as Lift-the-DOT studs. No photos. However, I can post photos next week if this thread is still active.

Edit: found this photo.

I do the same with my wife to protect her when we get out:

black-plain-burka-500x500.jpg

:rofl:

L

Back
Top Bottom