Old 08-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #21
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I took my 36-foot boat to Mexico to be painted from waterline up. Done right - removal of all hardware (and I mean all, and there was a lot of stuff - handrails, cleats, etc.), plus fiberglass repair of multiple holes from old, obsolete gauges in addition to normal body work/repairs. Multiple coats of hi-build primer and a couple coats of sprayed Alexseal. Base paint job is $22k, the non-skid areas were another $1700 or so (every yard I talked to quoted non-skid separately, which was annoying). Another yard in Mexico quoted close to $50k for same work, but they compete with SoCal yards. I also had the caprail on hull and the flybridge encapsulated in fiberglass - around $2k.

When I lived aboard, a neighboring cruising couple painted their 48-foot sailboat. An industrious couple - they spent many, many months of weekends doing the work. I bumped into them recently - after 10+ years, the paint still looks good. They used a one-part modified epoxy paint (Brightsides or something similar - I forget).
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:25 PM   #22
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Back when US fishermen could fish tuna in Mexican waters, all of us fishing there had our haul outs and other yard work done in Mexico. Generally as good as US yards for about 1/2 the price.

One word in defense of yard costs: It's not easy to paint and end up with a yacht like finish. If you paint your boat, you're willing to overlook minor imperfections. But the yard is expected to be perfect. They have expenses you don't have. Insurance, property tax and employee expenses beyond simple wages.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:33 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I donít begrudge a yard their prices. They have to make a profit in order to stay in business. Boat yards are not usually highly profitable businesses. I love working on my boat so I do it. So boat yard prices rarely effect me. We did have a previous boat painted in SoCal. I am sure they violated many rules but they painted it in the water. The workers balanced on styrofoam rafts while they prepped and sprayed the hull. They did out 46í from the waterline up completely for around $14K back in 2003. They did an incredible job.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #24
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I just got a quote on painting my 32 ft hull only from bottom of cap rail to top of the boot stripe. Prep hull , one coat primer, two coats paint, all new lettering and buffed out. The paint was awl craft . The quote was right at 20k . I had no idea it would be that much. That’s more than half the value of the boat. I’ll have to come up with another plan .
Exactly why we wrapped our hull (caprail to boot stripe).

All in costs, including bailout, prep work- $7k.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ect-29223.html

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:52 AM   #25
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Exactly why we wrapped our hull (caprail to boot stripe).

All in costs, including bailout, prep work- $7k.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ect-29223.html

How is the wrap holding up? Fender chafe, dock bumps, dingy thumps etc.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #26
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
How is the wrap holding up? Fender chafe, dock bumps, dingy thumps etc.
We have fender socks, so no fender rash/chafe (and we havenít babied the wrap- toss the fenders over and let them do their thing). One bump on the bullnose (front below the anchor) which was easily repaired.

Overall- excellent!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote