Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2022, 11:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Phoenix
Vessel Name: Interim
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 141
Costco oil

Thinking of using the oil sold at Costco for my Ford Lehman, any comments?
Gbinterim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:54 PM   #2
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,186
They are tractor engines, feed them straight 40 weight oil, nothing fancy. Costco reputation for house brands have proven quality products, why not oil??
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Tator's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 435
I have purchased the Costco oil to use in my Lehmans for my oil change at the end of the summer. I did a little bit of research online and decided it met my needs.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #4
Guru
 
IRENE's Avatar
 
City: Sequim, WA, USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,128
I communicated with Blackstone labs about Kirkland 15w-40 diesel engine oil. No derogatory information reported. We have plenty of it on hand now, and in use, but nothing back from analysis to report on.
__________________
Jeff
MV IRENE
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
TF Site Team
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,081
I bought Costco Synthetic oil for my cars (not diesel).
After a close reading of the label I decided against using it in my diesels as it doesn't disclose meeting all of the diesel requirements.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #6
Guru
 
mvweebles's Avatar
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
I bought Costco Synthetic oil for my cars (not diesel).
After a close reading of the label I decided against using it in my diesels as it doesn't disclose meeting all of the diesel requirements.
Blending of oil for API specifications is a highly controlled science that is constantly improving. If an oil is rated as Combustion (C), it will definitely say so. If it isn't rated "C", don't use it in a diesel unless an emergency. Costco or otherwise.

Peter
__________________
M/V Weebles
1970 Willard 36 Sedan Trawler
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:11 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tator's Avatar
 
City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 435
To be clear, the Costco non-synthetic oil that I purchased was rated for diesels.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:06 PM   #8
Guru
 
KnotYet's Avatar
 
City: Los Angeles
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator View Post
To be clear, the Costco non-synthetic oil that I purchased was rated for diesels.

Tator
I'm not a lube oil specialist but I avoid using non-synthetic oil in a
turbo engine.
One of the best features of synthetic oil is its stability at the higher
temperatures that the oil can be exposed to in a turbocharger.
__________________
Science doesn't care what you believe. -Neil deGrasse Tyson
KnotYet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #9
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
They are tractor engines, feed them straight 40 weight oil, nothing fancy. Costco reputation for house brands have proven quality products, why not oil??
No, not straight weight oil. Any 15W-40 is a superior lubricant for the same price.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:45 PM   #10
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,360
Greetings,
Mr. c. IIRC the lehman manual specifies single weight oil. 30 or 40 depending on temperatures.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:51 PM   #11
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 15,776
American Diesel recommends straight weight oil. Depending on temperature in the area either 30 or 40 weight. Our last boat had been using 15W40 in it for the previous 15 years so I went ahead and used the 15W40 in them. Never had any issues.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:48 PM   #12
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. c. IIRC the lehman manual specifies single weight oil. 30 or 40 depending on temperatures.
But does it predate multigrade oils?
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #13
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. c. IIRC the lehman manual specifies single weight oil. 30 or 40 depending on temperatures.
I am aware. The manual is woefully out of date. Lubes have seen multiple iterations of improvements in the last fifty years. Straight grade oils are inferior to today's multi-grades.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #14
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
American Diesel recommends straight weight oil. Depending on temperature in the area either 30 or 40 weight. Our last boat had been using 15W40 in it for the previous 15 years so I went ahead and used the 15W40 in them. Never had any issues.
As to oils American Diesel is living in ancient times. The AD folks are expert in engines, not so much in the science of lubes.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #15
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
But does it predate multigrade oils?
The manual does indeed predate the development of multi-grade oils, by decades.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:49 PM   #16
TF Site Team
 
slowgoesit's Avatar
 
City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1,893
My Gardner manual specifies straight 30 weight . . . . Do you have any idea how hard nowadays it is to find straight 30 weight?!? I had Delo 30w for the last 32 years, after this trip, we're going to Shell Rotella 30w.
__________________
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:07 PM   #17
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,441
My same old song .. just as valad now as in the past.
We don’t need MV oil in boats that are floating in the water. Their engines never get below 40 degrees .. and 40 degrees causes absolutely no problems.

I’ve used Castrol oil in my cars and motorcycles many years. I don’t shop at Costco but do something similar. About two decades ago I discovered NAPA oils are the same as Valvoline brand oil. They just pump Valvoline oil into NAPA bottles. And they do have single vis oil like 30w. But it’s for gas powered cars and trucks. Much less money and other re-branded products are out there.

Re the straight wt. oil Chevron has it and it shouldn’t be hard at all to find a Chevron Dealer where there’s lots of boats. Same I’m sure for Shell Rotella. I used Chevron 30w for about 12 years or so in SE Alaska and started right up cranking smartly but I had a small electric heater in the engine compartment. I just made sure it didn’t get too cold … like below 35-40 degrees. It may have gotten colder but the engine .. Mitsubishi 40hp always cranked easily to start.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #18
Guru
 
KnotYet's Avatar
 
City: Los Angeles
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
My same old song .. just as valad now as in the past.
We don’t need MV oil in boats that are floating in the water. Their engines never get below 40 degrees .. and 40 degrees causes absolutely no problems.

I’ve used Castrol oil in my cars and motorcycles many years. I don’t shop at Costco but do something similar. About two decades ago I discovered NAPA oils are the same as Valvoline brand oil. They just pump Valvoline oil into NAPA bottles. And they do have single vis oil like 30w. But it’s for gas powered cars and trucks. Much less money and other re-branded products are out there.

Re the straight wt. oil Chevron has it and it shouldn’t be hard at all to find a Chevron Dealer where there’s lots of boats. Same I’m sure for Shell Rotella. I used Chevron 30w for about 12 years or so in SE Alaska and started right up cranking smartly but I had a small electric heater in the engine compartment. I just made sure it didn’t get too cold … like below 35-40 degrees. It may have gotten colder but the engine .. Mitsubishi 40hp always cranked easily to start.
And the same old misconstruing. No one has said that marine diesels need
multiviscosity oil. The point is that there is no need to avoid them either.
If someone has difficulty sourcing whatever they believe is better, a
more readily available multiviscosity oil will work as well or better.
__________________
Science doesn't care what you believe. -Neil deGrasse Tyson
KnotYet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:41 PM   #19
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,820
Oil today must have improved. About 1973 I was working mechanical and there was a fleet of trucks. (18 wheeler type) that ran just fine on straight 30w when 10-30 was introduced as the best thing since sliced bread.
Each truck returned after their first foray into the mountain passes and changed back to straight 30. Why, at times they were unsure if they would reach the top of the hill, no kidding. Back on 30 no problems
A boat at sea level does not have that issue, unless over burdened by operator.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 04:26 AM   #20
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Oil today must have improved. About 1973 I was working mechanical and there was a fleet of trucks. (18 wheeler type) that ran just fine on straight 30w when 10-30 was introduced as the best thing since sliced bread.
Each truck returned after their first foray into the mountain passes and changed back to straight 30. Why, at times they were unsure if they would reach the top of the hill, no kidding. Back on 30 no problems
A boat at sea level does not have that issue, unless over burdened by operator.
I think, sir, that there have been some improvements made in the last 50 years or so.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012