Old 03-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #1

City: Nahant, MA
Vessel Name: Easy Wind
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Cork floating floor?

Hi, folks.
We will be replacing the 20-year-old carpeting in our Pacific Trawler. I have read in other places that cork floating floors such as those sold by Lumber Liquidators (the click lock kind) are possibly a good choice for the saloon/galley/pilothouse floors.

We used this flooring in a house and really loved it. It would be great if we could use it in the boat, particularly the way it dampens sound.

Does anybody here have any experience with this kind of flooring in a trawler?

thanks.

ex-sailor
ex-sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I've had the same idea. I have it in my kitchen. I am interested in the responses too.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #3

City: Port Hope
Haven't used it in a boat but did in 2 houses. First one was a success, the second time, where it was installed on an uneven floor, large gaps appeared in the seams, despite the click system. Not sure if the constant movement of a boat floor would result in the same issue. Perhaps adding glue to the joints would help. btw, not suitable if you have dogs with long nails.
John R M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
My guess is that it would work fine. It does not like having liquid spilled on it. I had some in a bathroom in my dirt home. The area near the shower got wet occasionally and didn't hold up very well.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #5

City: Anacortes
I did pre-finished click together floating cork floor in my house and it faded like crazy wherever it was in the sun. Stupid choice, it went from love to hate in 3 years, to replace in 5.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Maybe look at the vinyl floating flooring. It wonít be damaged by water and id supposed to be very durable.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-sailor View Post
Hi, folks.
We will be replacing the 20-year-old carpeting in our Pacific Trawler. I have read in other places that cork floating floors such as those sold by Lumber Liquidators (the click lock kind) are possibly a good choice for the saloon/galley/pilothouse floors.

We used this flooring in a house and really loved it. It would be great if we could use it in the boat, particularly the way it dampens sound.

Does anybody here have any experience with this kind of flooring in a trawler?

thanks.

ex-sailor

do a glue down cork floor, we had it on Volunteer for 6 years in the galley and the bridge and glue down doesn't care about water.. it can be done in the walls of a shower.. if it works on the deck of a boat as a teak alt. it will work inside great. And its great underfoot. just look for glue down solid cork tiles, then add an additional coat of varnish afterward
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #8
Guru

City: South Florida
No hard floor will be quieter than carpeting, even with a layer of mass loaded vinyl or lead. Will not even come close to carpeting with an acoustic carpet underlayment.

I have wood laminate in two rooms of the house, and they were so sensitive to water that I put vinyl planking in the other bedroom. Looks and wears great, no water issues, I see no reason they would not work in a boat. I had some small pieces that I did glue, just because the "click" connection was short, used regular elmers type glue, seemed to work, still connected.

For noise I would add a layer of mass loaded vinyl under, 1/8" thick that will reduce noise inexpensively.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'd love to do a floating floor in my saloon, probably a vinyl plank product held together by adhesive, not click-together.

But my problem is the two engine room hatches in the middle. I'd need some sort of 90-degree angle edging, but I don't want something that will stick up to high above the floor. It would also have to look halfway decent. Haven't found anything yet.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'd love to do a floating floor in my saloon, probably a vinyl plank product held together by adhesive, not click-together.

But my problem is the two engine room hatches in the middle. I'd need some sort of 90-degree angle edging, but I don't want something that will stick up to high above the floor. It would also have to look halfway decent. Haven't found anything yet.
If its held together by adhesive, thats not floating floor is it? I'm under the impression that "floating" means not attached by adhesive ,am I missing something ?
Old 03-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
If its held together by adhesive, thats not floating floor is it? I'm under the impression that "floating" means not attached by adhesive ,am I missing something ?
I'm not describing it well. Each "plank" has an "overhang" on two sides, and a matching recess on the other two. Like ship-lap siding. The adhesive is where they overlap, so they stick together on all four sides, but not to the subfloor.

I found this image at a site which sells them:

I bought mine at the big-box home improvement stores. They've worked great in the house, although I don't know how they'll handle temperature swings in a boat.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Same as you, CaptTom. Haven't figured it out. Maybe aluminum angle polished and screwed around floor opening and a mating same width Al flatbar on the hatch. Brass would be nicer but $.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Same as you, CaptTom. Haven't figured it out. Maybe aluminum angle polished and screwed around floor opening and a mating same width Al flatbar on the hatch. Brass would be nicer but $.
The Admiral nixed the aluminum edging. Brass, or even a dull finish on aluminum, might fly though. Worth a try!

I was even considering the clear vinyl corner protectors they sell for sheetrock corners in a home.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:

I only had 1 small hatch in fwd cabin but on advice from PlasTeak/PlasDeck Pres I did it w/o any trim. I also used the foam underlayment and really like the combination.
I used a sharpie to color the edge of the underlayment to make it much less visible. See...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46119
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #15
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Quote:
The Admiral nixed the aluminum edging. Brass, or even a dull finish on aluminum, might fly though. Worth a try!

I was even considering the clear vinyl corner protectors they sell for sheetrock corners in a home.
I looked at https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-stock - 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 "architectural brass" angle material would run about $170 in material for the deck opening. Another $90 for 1 1/2" flatbar for the hatch. I'm figuring the hatch is a 2'x2' opening on mine. Might reconsider - not as bad as I recalled.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #16

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
I have used cork flooring in my kitchen and found that it does not like water at all. It swells and begins to disintegrate. My suggestion is not to use it in a marine environment.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #17

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Patina
Vessel Model: Skookum 40
Cork flooring

I put self-adhesive, pre-finished 12"x12" cork squares in my galley 10 years ago. Edged around the hatch with oak stained to a similar color. It's been working great for over 10 years. Doesn't do anything more noise.
EricH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exctyengr View Post
I have used cork flooring in my kitchen and found that it does not like water at all. It swells and begins to disintegrate. My suggestion is not to use it in a marine environment.
Ours was laid in 1985, neither of those things have happened. I suppose cork tiles must vary in quality.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #19
Guru

City: Anacortes
Lots of the current cork flooring is shall we say ďengineeredĒ. Which means it is like a lot of engineered flooring material, complete junk.

Iím likely to try a traditional glue down cork in my master head. One year in on my cork countertops, Iíd do them again in a heartbeat. But then that was high density inch and a quarter, so not terribly comparable to flooring.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #20
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Ours was laid in 1985, neither of those things have happened. I suppose cork tiles must vary in quality.
Cork itself is resistant to water.
Beyond this issue can be from underlying layer if "engineered" floor, meaning cork glued onto a layer usually made from cheap material, or from glue used to agglomerate cork chunks when it is not plain sliced cork that is more expensive.
Also cork can be varnished like any hard wood floor what would add protection.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote