Cockpit Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tator

Guru
Vessel Name
Oz
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
We've been looking at expandable hoses to replace the harder plastic coiled type for use in our cockpit. My concern in using this type of hose is that it appears that once it is filled with water you have 25-50' of expanded hose filling up your cockpit. Am I correct in assuming this? I only need 6-12' of hose and the coiled type works except it tends to kink.

Tator

Tator,
We bought a Zero-G hose (50') and I like it because it stows flat (it all fits in a small 3 gallon wash bucket we keep in the laz) and it's not an expandable hose. I think they sell them in 25' as well.

My question is what happens when it is being filled under pressure? Do you have a 50' long hose that, in our case, would make it unmanageable in our small cockpit? Even 25' would be hard to manage. We keep our coiled hose under pressure so we just have to grab it and spray when cleaning the fish cleaning station.

Tator

If you only need 6-12’ then just buy a regular hose that is in that length. A regular hose in a short length is easy to store and likely easier to manage. On my boat I have a 5’ and a 12’ regular hose. I also have a 50’ collapsible hose. The long hose is only used from a dock connection for boat washing, water tank filling etc... The shorter hoses are used for rinsing off the anchor chain and rinsing off the boat using dock water.

My question is what happens when it is being filled under pressure? Do you have a 50' long hose that, in our case, would make it unmanageable in our small cockpit? Even 25' would be hard to manage. We keep our coiled hose under pressure so we just have to grab it and spray when cleaning the fish cleaning station.

Tator

I have those hoses. When they are under pressure, they expand to the full length. Even at full length, they are more manageable than normal just because they're so flexible.

I would check first to see of the expanding hoses are rated for potable water , and rated to hold pressure long term.

If ok for drinking , why not just fill your water tanks , and stow the hose away?

This hose would only be used for cleaning with salt water. I think I will keep using the coiled hose. Thanks for the feedback.

Tator

I never get more than one year out of those expandable hoses. So you made the right decision IMO.

Back
Top Bottom