Clogged fuel vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
One of my four tanks' fuel vents has been clogged. Found today it was filled with bees searching for a new home.

Anyone recommend how to maintain clear vent lines?

Use a fine screen behind the vent covers or put a ball of bronze wool wedged in the hole and re-install the vent covers. Either way works very well.?

I recently used a small Shop Vac to check / clear all my vents including diesel tank.

Not to be used w/ gas!!!

Once I wish my vent was plugged.
That was when we flushed one too many times.
Has not happened again.

Bees in a vent line are a new one to me. I was once on a boat that was stopped by mud dabber wasps filling the vent with mud.

I'm a bee keeper in my other life and I can tell you that once bees decide they like a spot, they often return. I doubt you'll have the problem.

Your bees were probably just a swarm looking for a new home. My guess is that the Queen thought that your vent was a good place to hide while her scouts found a new home. The rest of the bees would have clustered around the opening to protect her.

Of course if the tank is empty, they may be going down the vent into the tank and building comb. That's going to bee some really bad tasting honey.:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom