Clear plastic fuel viewing tubes? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hesitated a long time before I decided to post this as I didn't want to offend anyone.

I have "glass" sight glasses as well as a Tank tender system and they both work extremely well! But I drive my boat from the fly bridge and want all that kind of info at my finger tips. I had a Maretron Fuel management installed ($$$) and I don't have the words to accurately describe how I feel about it, other than to say It's possibly the next best thing to s-x! ( come to think of it, at my age, it is the best thing!) :blush:

Attachments

• Fuel Gauge.jpg
    Fuel Gauge.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 56
Donna.
Your are absolutely right, Do it once,Do it right, it's the basic element to hassle free boating.
Sometimes the TF'ers procrastination about tackling some jobs can be very frustrating.

A wee tip, get one of those red or yellow BB gun round pellets and pop it in the fuel tube, it floats on the top of the diesel for easy spotting.

We have to use clear (white diesel) in Europe so makes it easier to see the level.

The cheap clear vinyl hose tends to last about 5 years before it starts hardening up and staining (as long as it is out of the sunlight). Tygon fuel line will likely last longer.

If you want to go the whole hog, you should have fire-safe ball valves to isolate those sight glasses as well.

There are many right ways and many wrong ways.

I'm with Psneeld on this. Assess the risk, and make a judgement call.

Last edited:
I also have a Halon fire suppression system. Hoping to get one of my firefighter friends on board soon to have a look!
The old Halon systems are only verified as full or not. They have been banned for sale and recharge for about 15 years.

I know on my survey the halon was written up as 'deficient' and both the surveyor and insurance company recommended removing/replacing it with the new type. The systems are NOT deficient as long as they are holding a charge. But being unable to maintain them makes them a 'must replace' at some time in the future. Look fwd to spending about 3k on it when it's time.

Clear vinyl is not fuel rated and will go very brittle when exposed to diesel over time and the plasticizers are driven out by the naphthalenes and alkylbenzenes in the diesel.

Yeah, in 10+ years or more it will. Before then it will no longer be very clear and you'd have to change it out to see through it again. :D

Although with all the vinyl sight tube I've changed out over the years, I can't ever say I've seen it get "brittle"' as in break apart when you remove it, just seen it get hard or very stiff.

Yeah, in 10+ years or more it will. Before then it will no longer be very clear and you'd have to change it out to see through it again. :D

Although with all the vinyl sight tube I've changed out over the years, I can't ever say I've seen it get "brittle"' as in break apart when you remove it, just seen it get hard or very stiff.

I've seen it brittle and fracture in less than two years. The problem with buying non-rated stuff is that there are hundreds of formulations of clear plastic hose and you have no idea what they are or are not compatible with and neither does Home Depot or the Chinese factory that made it. Your boat, your choice.

As for newb's, this kind of conversation is good for them, they too can make their own choices.

Back
Top Bottom