Cleaning Up Teak Plywood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDuff

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Cape Dory Trawler 28 #18
I'm looking for advice to clean up some old (1985) teak plywood. No water stains or rot, just grim from over the years. Never been varnished, just oiled.

Hi Mac,

I would start with TSP available at any hardware store. Follow the directions and wear gloves. Rinse with clear water after.

Rob

Depending type and state of the plywood you risk to delaminate the veneer if using water.
I would use a bunch of rag with solvent to wipe out the dirt. Don't over wipe and use a clean part each time or you risk the dissolved dirt ti impregnate the wood veneer.
Cleaning wood while preserving it is not an easy thing...

L

Lou,

Washing with TSP will not delaminate plywood. You would have to soak it for a long period of time. The solvent wash is a good idea and one I have used many times.

Rob

What type of solvent do you recommend?

Don't know what kind of gunk you want to clean but I would try first something gentle like denatured alcohol, and move to something more "aggressive" like naphtha if not doing it and so on.
More volatile is the solvent less chance it will soak the dirt into the wood.
However some solvent can have adverse effect on some finish like whitening varnish, dissolving shellac etc.

L

Howard Products "Restor a Finish" https://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish/ might work.
I have used mineral turpentine to remove heavy wax buildup,and dirt, from a small mahogany table(a Pembroke) I bought, the finish survived my efforts.
Alcohol might dissolve the finish. Are you sure it`s just oiled, no finish. I doubt shellac was used on boat interiors in 1985.
Golden rule,try it somewhere inconspicuous first.

Mac,

If using a solvent my first try like Lou would be alcohol. From there I usually go to lacquer thinner. Wear a respirator.

I would still try the TSP first as it will release dirt rather than drive it in. If you use solvent change rags often as Lou said.

Rob

My wife has used Murphy's Oil Soap aboard our boat from time to time.
THe interior is oiled teak veneer with solid trim, now 40 yrs.

Thanks everybody. I'll try in this order TSP, Alcohol, Murphy's all in out of the way areas.

" I'll try in this order TSP," good choice,,

If you live in an area where purchasing TSP is restricted , machine dish washing powder is usually TSP.

Housecleaning / repainting is not considered essential but dish washing machines are.

Murphy's will leave a residue that may keep finish from adhering. If you want to coat after cleaning with Murphy's you will have to remove the "oil". However the look after Murphy's may be the look you want.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on re finishing.

Rob

Murphy's will leave a residue that may keep finish from adhering. If you want to coat after cleaning with Murphy's you will have to remove the "oil". However the look after Murphy's may be the look you want.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on re finishing.

Rob

That may be why it works for us. We only oil the interior wood. The varnish stays outside.

Scrub a dub

My interior is oiled teak. I had pretty good results using Guardsman Lemon oil (brand probably not crucial) and a nylon scrubber, followed by a teak oil rub.

A couple spots that are really dark didn’t completely clean up, but it mostly glows.

I’ve had good success with “Clorox” wipes and the parallel products. They do remove the oil and get to a reasonably clean surface on my cabinets. For buildups on hand rails and fiddles where the oil finish is long gone, they cut most of the grime that’s going to clog sandpaper and get me to a surface I can work easily.

I'm looking for advice to clean up some old (1985) teak plywood. No water stains or rot, just grim from over the years. Never been varnished, just oiled.

I've cleaned some built up crud successfully on several occasions with either lemon or orange oil, moisturizes, cleans and smells great when you are done...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom