Old 11-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I suspect Janice's Shucker has a P-trap.
Hi Chris. Neither do now though both had one. I want a clear run to the water when stuff goes down the drain.

There is one unfortunate downfall: In the winter in windy conditions cold air can blow up the sink drain in the head. Brrr. I've got a stopper for that now.

And too I add something to cover the drain anyway. We always used to keep the sink stopper upside down in the hole as ours (40'er) was simply a straight pipe down.

I remember mother dropped a knife down the drain and thought "that didn't happen" so she dropped a second one. Fortunately we weren't in real deep water and I was able to retrieve them though I balked at doing so. It is not fun when you're hunting knives -- and the second drop (deliberate!!) really ticked me off. I knew better than to grumble but five decades later I still remember hunting that second damn knife.

Still, I suppose all kids have their memories of parental authority run amok.

Ah well, it's water under the hull now...
Old 11-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Good point Janice about the cold air...brisk winds and 35 degrees tonight and p traps sound better all the time.

Plus they would make it easier to recover things dropped down the sink. In all my dirt houses p traps were only occasional maintenance items so their benefits could outweigh the negatives, especially if living aboard and wintering aboard.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Gas engines of any sort should not be run while (all are) sleeping on a boat. There are exceptions when in transit and at least one is awake while other[s] sleep. In that case good alarms should be operational and good ventilation utilized too.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #24
Guru

City: AR
There have been several on houseboats on inland lakes. The one I will never forget happened on Lake Mead...several rafted against a cliff, gensets running. One of the women wasn't feeling well...took a float raft out and floated around away from the raft for an hour or so...felt much better. But began feeling sick again soon after returning, so she and her husband broke away from the raft and went back to the slip and then home. The next morning she was feeling fine, so they took their runabout to go back to join their friends...and found all of them dead in their beds from CO.

That one was the most dramatic, but only one of many that were a result of running a gas genset overnight where there was NO breeze to carry exhaust fumes away from the boat.

Since these and other CO deaths occur on INTRAstate lakes that aren't under USCG jurisdiction, they don't make it into CG stats.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:10 AM   #25
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Hi Chris. Neither do now though both had one. I want a clear run to the water when stuff goes down the drain.
It was just a guess.

Surprised you get any "vegetation" in there, though, if there's no trap... I think that's the biggest culprit we have to deal with.

I was just winterizing our fresh water side yesterday, which included plunging and flushing the sink drains... specifically because of the P-traps...

-Chris
Old 11-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #26
FF
Guru

Folks that set up to liveaboard need the sink to drain above the WL or well below it.

When iced in a sink slush is not pretty but does work. If the toilet discharges above the WL, do not use colored toilet paper.

Discharge a foot or so below the WL works fine in New England cool , but the hassle of any grease solidifying exists.

Our solution is a marine flex hose (wire wound) to the seacock from under the sink .

The seacock is located so the hose (sink is above the WL ) can be pulled and a broom stick used to clear any obstruction.

KISS
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
[P traps] I've read it's also about blocking gasses (including CO, as from gensets) from the boat you're rafted to. I guess that sounds slightly plausible...
Put the stopper in.

Sometimes it's not a separate trap, it's a loop in the drain hose. Shorten the hose to remove the loop. You don't need a trap.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote