Cleaning the interior hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNM

Veteran Member
I bought an old boat - '79 Ocean 40+2 trawler - 15 years ago! I've been working on everything else for 15 years:) I recently pressure washed the port engine area and bilge and painted anything that was rusty.

While doing this task, I noticed that, under the plywood floors the hull interior is covered with a very dark - almost black - thick film! This "stuff" is not in areas where water accumulates and runs to the bilge pumps or under the engines.

It doesn't smell like mold. Actually, the engine compartment smells very clean. It is not oily, musty, or moldy.

It is now time to pressure wash the starboard engine area and start the process of cleaning the rest of the hull. Some of the areas, such as under the floors below the 200 gal diesel tanks and under the generator are very hard to get to.

Can you recommend a process or product that can be sprayed - or otherwise applied in hard to get to areas - that will dissolve this "stuff", allowing me to clean the hull to good condition?

I am actually considering taking out the plywood floors, one at a time, and replacing them with a non corroding grid that would allow me to regularly pressure wash the hull interior.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom