Cleaning chalky paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

folivier

Ok, now that we're all thoroughly confused about teak what about cleaning the chalk from a boat that has had the topside gelcoat painted?
Then after it's cleaned what is the best way to keep it from chalking again?
Some of this is nonskid and other areas are either vertical or horizontal surfaces. The paint appears in good condition, no peeling or flaking.

Sounds like a mild rubbing compound and a buffer should fix and remove the oxidation. After that regular waxing should keep it that way. Just some manual work and part of owning a boat IMO.

I like this 303 protectant. Would be used after you cleaned the surface of paint chalk.
https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/easy-fiberglass-boat-restoration-never-wax-or-buff-again
HOW DOES 303 ® AEROSPACE PROTECTANT™ WORK?
Originally engineered for aerospace and aviation applications, 303® Aerospace Protectant™ is a premium surface treatment that instantly beautifies and provides superior protection against harmful UV rays that can cause loss of mechanical properties such as: discoloration, fading, embrittlement, cracking and/or chalking. Treated surfaces repel dirt, soiling, staining, water spots, salt water and mildew.

Last edited:
Paint eventually dies , and will need to be repainted.

With good paint and a roll&tip process its not a bad deal.

With mu work boat style , its easier to re paint than polish wax ,

Carefully select a wax or surface coating that can be totally REMOVED.

When you finally do repaint , you dont want it falling off!

PPPPP

Are you sure it is the paint that is chalking? I have never seen paint do that, but have seen it numerous times on gelcoat, including my current boat which is headed for a paint job next month.

SOME, Paint is designed to chalk to keep it cleaner and fresher looking .

The UV dead surface washes off in a heavy rain.

Usually with flatter rather than glossy paint.

Back
Top Bottom