CAT 3208 engine service manuals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
Bought my boat (GB 42CL) and now I would like to buy engine service manual. They are approx. $200 on line for used hardcopy. An alternative is thumb drive pdf for $80 from Ebay or Etsy. Have any of you purchased these thumb drives? Just wondering if they are the exact copies of the paper books? Also wonder why these are only available from overseas places like Poland - maybe counterfeit copies? If you know of another source please let me know.
Thanks.

Pat
I have Cat 3208NA's
I have been looking for the manuals as well. I have managed to find various info and some manuals. More than willing to share them. Send me your email and i'll look through my files in the next few days and forward them to you. Just changed to a new home desktop and my back up files not reloaded yet.

Pat
I have Cat 3208NA's
I have been looking for the manuals as well. I have managed to find various info and some manuals. More than willing to share them. Send me your email and i'll look through my files in the next few days and forward them to you. Just changed to a new home desktop and my back up files not reloaded yet.

Hi Martin

I’ve just sent you a PM with my email address, I would be certainly interested in anything you have concerning these engines, thank you.

Have you checked the maintenance manual on this forum? Go to upper right corner of home page and click on “Library”. On page two under “Manuals” you’ll find Cat 3208 manual.

Last edited:
Sorry Pat / Ray sorry I forgot i posted the service manual in 2019

Bayview, couldn't find any CAT manuals on the sbmar.com website. Looks like all Cummins stuff. Martin and Ray, thanks for your inputs but there is a more detailed service manual that I am looking for. It is most likely not issued with the boat but to CAT techs.

People confuse CAT service manuals with CAT maintenance manuals. Cat services manuals are expensive and detailed. Maintenance manuals are available on line for free.

I have seen those thumb drives on line. I have been fearful that they are a scam. If any one has bought one let me know how it turned out.

People confuse CAT service manuals with CAT maintenance manuals. Cat services manuals are expensive and detailed. Maintenance manuals are available on line for free.

I have seen those thumb drives on line. I have been fearful that they are a scam. If any one has bought one let me know how it turned out.

Yes, I think that the service/maintenance manual is a point of confusion.
I require the service version.

You have a post on Boatdiesel. Check it out.

Could not come up with anything at boatdiesel.com either. I am tempted to try Ebay. They do offer some sort of guarantee. Will hold off a while. Hope someone else here chimes in.

Maybe expensive, but have tried ordering it from CAT? Have your engine serial number ready.

Pat, I don't see where you have answered ASD's [ post 13 on T.F.] question or mine on Boatdiesel.

Have you actually approached Caterpillar?

I have been amazed sometimes at people who have posted the same question especially on B.D. and they never approached the engine mfgrs..

I assume you have BUT???

C letric, believe I privately answered ASD and I did answer on boatdiesel that there was nothing in the PDF that was useful ( I was able to see all that was there). The actual hard copy manual is out there on EBay for approx. $200 to $300 so I doubt Caterpillar would sell me one for cheaper. CAT is my last resort and forums are a way to try and get some good feedback from the guys in the know.
As always, thanks to all for the help.

I had 2 CAT manuals, but that was a while ago. I would have sent you one for a AA (Alaskan Amber Beer).

Good luck in your search! You may have to bite the bullet and spend the money.

Yes ASD, I'll get the manual eventually.
Had to research the Alaskan Amber - made with glacier fed water! Ok, now I have to go out and hunt some of this stuff down. Should be easier to get than the CAT service manual!

Yes ASD, I'll get the manual eventually.
Had to research the Alaskan Amber - made with glacier fed water! Ok, now I have to go out and hunt some of this stuff down. Should be easier to get than the CAT service manual!
Lol you may be right.

Thanks guys. I do currently have the Operation and Maintenance Manual (CAT # SEBU6090-03 , Oct 1998). It's 118 pages and includes the basics on oil changes & zincs , filters, etc. as well as intervals. I assume this was issued with the vessel. What I am looking for though is this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3732659619...5yUwodfAJO0c0llj6cDhXRGb9cw9DE5IaAqfZEALw_wcB
As you see it fairly expensive .I have not seen this manual in any of the posts yet. Not sure of the CAT number either but if I get it I'll be sure to post.

I have the CAT SENR2131-03 set and it's adequate for my 375HP 3208TAs (01Z16xxxx). I paid 220 bucks for it on ebay. I don't think CAT makes them anymore. I buy my CAT stuff at Milton CAT and they have a great website where you create an account and save your engine serial number(s) in your profile. You can then look up parts. That said, I highly recommend that you procure a parts book for your engine(s), it is quite helpful as they made a zillion different 3208s with all kinds of different parts. My parts book is SEBP1297-04. Ping me if you get one of these books and need help figuring out what parts fit your engine(s). FWIW, serial number references in the parts book are inadequate and misleading, you have to use your engine(s) arrangement number and then look up parts based on the assembly group numbers. It's very unintuitive and cumbersome.

I have the CAT SENR2131-03 set and it's adequate for my 375HP 3208TAs (01Z16xxxx). I paid 220 bucks for it on ebay. I don't think CAT makes them anymore. I buy my CAT stuff at Milton CAT and they have a great website where you create an account and save your engine serial number(s) in your profile. You can then look up parts. That said, I highly recommend that you procure a parts book for your engine(s), it is quite helpful as they made a zillion different 3208s with all kinds of different parts. My parts book is SEBP1297-04. Ping me if you get one of these books and need help figuring out what parts fit your engine(s). FWIW, serial number references in the parts book are inadequate and misleading, you have to use your engine(s) arrangement number and then look up parts based on the assembly group numbers. It's very unintuitive and cumbersome.

Thanks Mischief M. I finally just today, broke down and also bought the Service manual for $225 on Ebay. I was able to get another (electronic) version of the parts manual. It is SEBP1995-25, Oct 2014 for serial #'s 01Z21747-Up. (My engine #'s are 01Z34xxx) I also have a copy of the part manual you have. Not tried using it yet though. I will let you know if I need help, thanks for the offer.

If all else fails, just go to your local Cat dealer with your engine SN (as was previously suggested). I bought a CD from them with all service manuals for about $500. Not cheap but I figure it has paid for itself many times over by enabling me to do services that I'd otherwise have to hire someone to do.

Thanks BCRyan. Good to know you can get the info from CAT if needed. I just today received my paper copy ordered from EBay. Specifically this is the Service Manual for the 3208 Marine Engine 1Z1-Up. CAT # is SENR6595.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom