carpet outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
I have carpet on my middle deck. where I exit the main cabin . It is under roof but still exposed to limited sun and rain . I would like to replace it, it is app 10'x12' It will need to be customed cut and the edges bound It is not glued or fastened down in any way Need suggestions as to what to use a replacement The old carpet nice and flat nap but is just old

I have carpet on my middle deck. where I exit the main cabin . It is under roof but still exposed to limited sun and rain . I would like to replace it, it is app 10'x12' It will need to be customed cut and the edges bound It is not glued or fastened down in any way Need suggestions as to what to use a replacement The old carpet nice and flat nap but is just old

Our sundeck and flybridge areas are carpeted. I used thick Home Depot indoor/outdoor with a foam backing to replaced some very thin material that was looking shabby. Tiny perforations in the foam so it drains well, although the sunroof and bimini do help protect it from the elements. Upholstery shop originally bound the edges with a plasticized material...looked awful, sent it back and they redid it with Sunbrella....much nicer and it's holding up very well. Snaps around the edges. Only issue is that we chose a fairly dark charcoal color...which looks very nice, but absorbs a lot of heat. Next time we'll go with a lighter gray. On hot days I wet it down with fresh water deck wash...typically late in the day...evaporation helps the air conditioning system cool down the cabin areas. It's currently about five years old...used for four months during Spring and Summer on Great Lakes, and then the boat goes into indoor storage. Looks like new. Cleans up easily with one of those roller brooms...occasionaly vacuum to get a deeper cleaning. I roll it up every Fall and wash down the non-skid.

Last edited:
Do you have any pontoon boats in the area? I would check to see who works on them, and what type of carpet they use. It's likely designed to withstand UV and handle drainage issues as well as anything you might find in a Big Box.

Overton's is a sporting goods outfit here in eastern NC that has a line of product:
Shaw Coast Line 20-oz. Marine Carpeting 8.5 wide - Overton's

There are probably similar choices in whatever area you are in.

I am in south florida so If anybody know of someone who does this....

Back
Top Bottom