Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore MD
Vessel Name: Little Wing
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Boat Maintenance in Beaufort - Morehead City, NC

Does anyone have any recommendations for a marina - maintenance in this area? I bought a boat there in here inDecember and I have it temporarily docked at the previous owners private dock and need to move it. Trying to get anything done to your boat in this area is a nightmare. People don't return calls or e-mails. I have worked with one area mechanic for a month now and so far he has covered one item on my list. The company that did the haul out, bottom cleaning and engine survey was prompt and returned calls but charged double the hours it should have and I found out after the fact that they sent their outboard mechanic to do the survey on my diesel engine. I did take take my boat to one boatyard that seemed promising but their electric hookups weren't working and their fixed docks were so rickety that you had to be named Wallenda to balance on the tiny finger docks. It's a nice area and the people are friendly but for a boater that doesn't know the area it's a hell-hole. Can't wait to get the boat out of here and up to the Chesapeake this Spring but I need a decent place to get the windlass repaired, Diesel engine, generator, transmission service and a few other odds and ends done. Surely with all the marinas around here somebody can do the job! Any leads would be appreciated!
evansrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi,
Recommend you put a couple of hours on the engine and head up to Sailcraft Marine in Oriental. Prompt professional service in a great little town.
Roger
roger howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
That area has some good marine techs around. I think that at least part of the problem is that you were not in a marina, but at a private dock. Being in the marina has the advantage of getting referrals from the marina staff and tenants. Many are local people that have boated around there for years. They know the secrets. The charter skippers can be tight lipped until you get to know them. A marina with charter boats is usually a good place. The staff usually knows who comes and goes in the marina, and also who has a good reputation. We kept our boat at Morehead City Yacht Basin, and it was a really good place for that. Don't know about now. Good luck, but don't give up. If all else fails run the boat up to Jarret Bay Boat Works, and let them handle it.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #4

City: SOBX North Carolina
I have no idea of your work list or your to do list. But to be fair, while having your boat at a private dock may come into play, mobile services for general assorted work is pretty limited. The engine mechanics or electrical folks are pretty targeted to particular makes, and or dependent upon previous jobs taking place. But during dec and even early Jan, many of these types take this time completely off. Its always historically the slow time. Even boatyards have done this too.

I am not making any excuses for anyone. But while there are a lot of boats in that area, demand for mobile services outside of your basic cosmetic stuff is stull fairly limited, because the area does not have a lot of private docks by comparison to many of areas along the ICW>

Normally if the better and more qualified people do have a truck set up for remote work, they also have a shop with work going on. So portable stuff is a fill in in most all cases.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I will disagree with Roger, as our experiences was Sailcraft was less than optimal. They do good work there for sure (or used to... they have lost a large portion of their old crew since our last visit), but their billing practices are widely known for their inaccuracy. Every time I hauled out there, I had to dispute my bill. The place is kind of rundown too. Docks and bathrooms are lousy.

I understand your frustration, however. Eastern NC businesses are in their own little bubble. We have yet to find a real stand-out service provider. Either they don't return call, don't use or return emails, or don't show up for appointments. It's all very hit-or-miss. Nevertheless, here are a few tips for you... (FYI-these are more centralized to the area around the Neuse River, but there are some down your way)

• For diesel repair, we have had a lot of great results with Coastal Diesel in New Bern. Prompt, on-time scheduling and a team of very good mechanics. They are basically a mobile service and will come to you. It can be pricey, but once it's done, it's done. They just rebuilt my mechanical injector pump last week and rebuilt my genset last year. Good bunch of guys.
  • Deaton Yachts in Oriental is a good all-around yard. The complaints we've heard from there was that their time management isn't that great. They have trouble meeting work deadlines. In disclosure, we have used their mobile service, but have not hauled out there. They have an onsite parts department and that's a huge plus.
  • Wayfarer's Cove in Arapahoe, NC is a good general yard. It's a bit isolated from civilization and the yard, with its dirt lot instead of gravel, leaves you boat very dirty, plus, power hook-us are spotty. They have one of the best fiberglass guys in the area that works there. Tom runs the place quite well and is an honest guy. He will quote you a price and stick to it. If he falls short anywhere, it's that he's a bit edgy and sometimes hard to get in touch with. No email either.
  • I have called Bach Marine on several occasions, but have never used them. They always came in with the highest quotes and Kenny, while very knowledgeable, I have felt that I would have the same issues that I have with Sailcraft. Just a bit too "old school" with billing and communication.
  • Our new guys are True World Marine and Lightning Yachts. Both are boat builders (or former). They are both located in the marine industrial park where Jarret Bay is. True World is a very neat and well kept yard with good power and new facilities. Lightning Yachts is a repair place just up the road that can do about anything with boats. Both respond quickly to emails and will take the time needed on the phone to make sure all bases are covered.
  • Chuck Courtney is a mobile guy (Power and Sailboat Repair). He's a good honest guy, but is very busy. I have used him a couple of times and he's been good. I don't think he's the best engine guy (I would use Coastal for that), but he's an good electrical guy.
If you want to do some snooping around, go visit Morehead City Yacht Basin and see who's working on the boats there. Ask Mike (dockmaster) and ask for some recos.

I am at work now, so I need to stop this long post. If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to elaborate. Maybe I'll think of more to add later, but now, I have this job thing to deal with.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #6

City: SOBX North Carolina
Lightning has a really cool new 39 foot project going on right now. He is a good guy and they do incredible work.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: Here
I have a very good friend in Beaufort, ex-cruiser, ex yachtbroker (don't hold that against him), ex-Canadian and has managed several boats in that area.

PM me if interested and I'll give you his email address. This guy is totally responsible and honest ..... as I said he's Canadian
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Can you get your boat as far as Charleston, SC (about 60 miles)?

There are several good repair facilities in and around Charleston.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Can you get your boat as far as Charleston, SC (about 60 miles)? There are several good repair facilities in and around Charleston.
Hehe... He's in Beaufort, NC :-D
Old 02-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Hehe... He's in Beaufort, NC :-D
Yep, probably over 250 miles.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
pretty close to 60 leagues...maybe that?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Never mind then.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Serious Q. Which Beaufort is best?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
for boating repairs I would have to say NC....not that much around Beaufort, SC but Ross Marine just south on the ICW from Charleston is excellent.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: Here
NC has the Back Street Pub, they let my dog have a beer under the table.
very civilized
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Serious Q. Which Beaufort is best?
Drinking is better in NC, and food is better in SC.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Kent Island, MD
Vessel Name: M.V. LOTTIE
Vessel Model: Lien Hwa/Pilothouse LRC
A little late to the thread, but Jarrett Bay did a decent job for me in December. Delivered on time, under the estimate, and since I was at work went the extra mile and took great care of the boat when the cold snap came in, placed heaters and check on the boat regularly. Heck my car is still in the parking lot. Not a marina, so haul out is the way to go, bathrooms were clean and there were at least three boats being lived in while on the hard. My profile pic is from there. You will need a car if you need to go shopping or into town as they are a ways out....
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Also late to the thread, but as someone who has used this area as a base for a large boat for several years, and has cruised it extensively along the entire eastern seaboard, I have to say this is one of the very BEST places to have a boat serviced and maintained. I have also had the boat based in and worked on in Massachusetts/Rhode Island, Baltimore, Savannah and Fort Lauderdale, so have a good basis of comparison, both direct and through other boaters' experiences. Far more people come down here from the Chesapeake and points north to have work done than vice versa (can think of several examples of the former, but none of the latter). A variety of excellent independents, professional captains, boat yards and boat builders.

A little pre-planning and it would have been easy to get hooked with any number of good folks. Tom's suggestion to spend a day or two docked at Morehead City Yacht Basin marina, talk to the excellent staff there (especially Dwayne and Mike) and other boaters, is an excellent one. They have all the business cards of the right people but get advice first. Unless requiring haul out or a major paint job, there is no need to go to a yard, a world class "virtual yard" can be assembled using mobile tradesmen and services at very reasonable rates.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore MD
Vessel Name: Little Wing
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Also late to the thread, but as someone who has used this area as a base for a large boat for several years, and has cruised it extensively along the entire eastern seaboard, I have to say this is one of the very BEST places to have a boat serviced and maintained. I have also had the boat based in and worked on in Massachusetts/Rhode Island, Baltimore, Savannah and Fort Lauderdale, so have a good basis of comparison, both direct and through other boaters' experiences. Far more people come down here from the Chesapeake and points north to have work done than vice versa (can think of several examples of the former, but none of the latter). A variety of excellent independents, professional captains, boat yards and boat builders. A little pre-planning and it would have been easy to get hooked with any number of good folks. Tom's suggestion to spend a day or two docked at Morehead City Yacht Basin marina, talk to the excellent staff there (especially Dwayne and Mike) and other boaters, is an excellent one. They have all the business cards of the right people but get advice first. Unless requiring haul out or a major paint job, there is no need to go to a yard, a world class "virtual yard" can be assembled using mobile tradesmen and services at very reasonable rates.

Thanks for your feedback and glad that you have a good experience in the area. For me, however I'll be glad when April comes and I see the Beaufort area sink below the horizon and my wake.
evansrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. e. Just noticed your boat name...