Cap rails re varnish ? oil ? 2 pak ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the cap rail I'd want! It's a fiberglass cap rail that looks like wood and is an option on Fleming yachts. IMG_0879.JPG

The 'Burrwood' rails on Flemings might be ok in some places. But here we have high UV and a lot of sunshine in general. They don't always last very well. A 65 here had them replaced.

The 'Burrwood' rails on Flemings might be ok in some places. But here we have high UV and a lot of sunshine in general. They don't always last very well. A 65 here had them replaced.

Darn, thought it was the unicorn of cap rails.

Maybe a good solution would be a UV blocking tarp bigger than the footprint of the boat that was somehow suspended from above, shielding it from harm. [emoji274]

78 per post #22,
I suspect that rail cap was on old ships w steel railings. To make them fancy w a bit or more bling sculptured wood cap boards were employed. And to make them fancier yet (as on a yacht) ...oiled or varnished rail caps and fancier yet w exotic woods .. teak ect.

I was introduced to “cap rail” on TF as a result of all the yachts their-in.
No, not really, its just the proper name for it. The wood that "caps" the rail, doesn't matter what the rail is made of or how old. That picture is from a boatbuilding book of mine, a modern one, by Robert Stewart. I realize most people say cap rail and will not move from that no matter what, I just prefer the proper terminology.:dance: And stir the pot a little, lol.:eek::hide:

This is the cap rail I'd want! It's a fiberglass cap rail that looks like wood and is an option on Fleming yachts. View attachment 75430

I can't afford the Fleming, never mind the fiberglass cap rail option... but that would likely be my choice if that dang money tree would just take root.

I agree. I don't think Semco is a good fit for a cap rail. It doesn't last that long and doesn't offer much protection at all since, as you suggested, it doesn't build up in layers on top of the wood. At least not significantly enough to offer any protection.

Could be. Semco is an experiment for our boat. I was just at the Sun Coast Boat Show this weekend and again, outfits like Beneteau and Menorquin were using Semco on decks and cap rails. so we’ll try it. I should add that the veranda is covered on our boat so what we have left of the natural cap rail gets about 40-50% sun. I’ll soon be reinstalling the full canvas enclosure, so UV exposure will drop considerably. I’m following this thread closely....some good ideas here.

Could be. Semco is an experiment for our boat. I was just at the Sun Coast Boat Show this weekend and again, outfits like Beneteau and Menorquin were using Semco on decks and cap rails. so we’ll try it. I should add that the veranda is covered on our boat so what we have left of the natural cap rail gets about 40-50% sun. I’ll soon be reinstalling the full canvas enclosure, so UV exposure will drop considerably. I’m following this thread closely....some good ideas here.

I should clarify. I don't think there's any reason why Semco won't work on the cap rail. It's just that it will offer minimal protection from nicks and scrapes, and will only last a maximum of one season, or around 6 months in direct sunlight based on my results.

I expect my cap rails, or rail caps, or whatever you want to call them, with epoxy and Cetol to last 3 seasons while protecting the wood from nicks and scratches. There is no way Semco would do the same.

So just depends what you're aiming for.

I used some on my old sailboat caprails(rail caps) a while back. The two part cleaner did a great job cleaning and renewing the color of the teak, although it did seem a bit harsh. I loved the ease of application and the look of the sealer. I sold the boat before I got chance to see how it lasted. I need to renew my teak on the dinghy and might try this again.

Attachments

• 0AE90DA8-6620-4FE5-8496-F896F3AD4145.jpg
    0AE90DA8-6620-4FE5-8496-F896F3AD4145.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Thanks all for your suggestions .There seems to be no definitive answer. We have very limited product to choose from in Australia due to the very small market so many brand suggestions are not available here . The previous restoration of my cap rails look to have used floor varnish ???? and Im very nervous how we will remove whats on there without damaging the rails.

We have place a order for one of these on recommendation of a furniture restorer she said its the best method she has ever used .Has any one else used one ??

http://i-strip.com.au/product/speedheater-cobra/

Last edited:
The heater might be great if you had a large area. But a conventional heat gun would also work well on varnish.

If you have 'floor varnish', ie polyurethane, then sanding it will likely be as easy to do as anything else. Cap rails are not that big an area, it won't take very long.

The heater might be great if you had a large area. But a conventional heat gun would also work well on varnish.

If you have 'floor varnish', ie polyurethane, then sanding it will likely be as easy to do as anything else. Cap rails are not that big an area, it won't take very long.
+1 on the heat gun, followed with some sanding. Once you get the blistering right, it`s quick and easy,though I only use it on my nameboards.(Also useful for good crackling on roast pork!)
The nameboards get Cetol TGL Gloss, which I get at Bunnings. It`s clear. I sometimes use a wood stain under it to get "teak" without sanding away lots of wood.
Gaston, the PO of your boat has seen the error of his ways and is oiling the cap rails of his Clipper 40. It looks good.
My main aim is avoiding repeatedly going back to bare wood.I`ll accept a finish that looks "ok to good" rather than "great", as a compromise.

+1 on the heat gun, followed with some sanding. Once you get the blistering right, it`s quick and easy,though I only use it on my nameboards.(Also useful for good crackling on roast pork!)
The nameboards get Cetol TGL Gloss, which I get at Bunnings. It`s clear. I sometimes use a wood stain under it to get "teak" without sanding away lots of wood.
Gaston, the PO of your boat has seen the error of his ways and is oiling the cap rails of his Clipper 40. It looks good.
My main aim is avoiding repeatedly going back to bare wood.I`ll accept a finish that looks "ok to good" rather than "great", as a compromise.

Thanks Bruce I may sneak down this week and have a look at the Clippers rails

Time has come to strip and prep my cap rails to make ready for some form of oil or varnish . At present I'm told they have a 2 pak varnish that's failed the Australian sun in just 14 months so.
I'm calling on the brain trust and ask what they have used in HOT conditions.

We’re just doing the teak on our Albin, and have been told that’s Australian Timber Oil holds up we’ll in our Southern climes. I can’t verify this personally, but the person who told us had a 38’ trawler that looked amazing. Check with me in 6 months, and I’ll let you know how it stands up.

We’re just doing the teak on our Albin, and have been told that’s Australian Timber Oil holds up we’ll in our Southern climes. I can’t verify this personally, but the person who told us had a 38’ trawler that looked amazing. Check with me in 6 months, and I’ll let you know how it stands up.

Do you have a brand name for the oil didnt know there was a Ozz made one

We’re just doing the teak on our Albin, and have been told that Australian Timber Oil holds up well in our Southern climes....
The Feast Watson company here makes a decking oil. What brand you are using?
I`m not sure the country of origin matters, Deks Olje is(?was) Scandinavian manufactured. Oil left as the final finish usually needs replenishing every 3 months or so,but that can be as simple as an oily rag wipe over.

Fleming Caprails "Burrwod" vs. Teak

Hi all - I would love to hear from anyone who has actual experience with Fleming "Burrwood" caprails. Wondering what maintenance looks like (how often, how much $) and how the caprails look after 5+ years of duty.

Thanks!

I first used Cetol (natural), but it was not very durable at all. It may well be a lot better if you use a coat of epoxy first. Despite the warnings!

Whitworths carry a two-part epoxy sealer which has consistency of water, even after mixing, and penetrates quite well. Leave it to dry for 4 days, then apply whatever you wish. Although I just noticed they say to only use a clear finish in permanently shaded areas. So You might need a tinted product, such as Cetol, before a clear gloss.
I have only used it on teak hatch trims, which I decided to paint.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/norglass-norseal-wood-treatment-clear

I have seen very good results for Awlwood. It has several shades, but can be a bit too reddish for some. I think its best left for professional's to apply as there are some tricks to getting it right.

Before I discovered the NorSeal I went the Deks Olje route. You apply multiple coats of #1, wet on wet, until no more can be absorbed. Then wipe off with a cloth. Allow 3 days to dry, then apply multiple coats of #2 with a day between coats. I'm reasonably happy with results. After 6 months a light rub with a green scourer pad using #1 oil. Then a couple of coats of #2. Its all quite painless! I believe #2 is a polyurethane.

What I am testing on one section of rail for the 6mth top-up is a light, dry sand of the rail, then Cabots Exterior Polyurethane 'Marine Grade' (from Bunnings). It seems more durable then the Deks Olje #2. At least a year, perhaps longer. Cabots by itself is durable enough but the wood gets bleached underneath, hence my preference for using Deks Olje first.

For my decks, I first used Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer (light). Its Ok, but not great. Then I used the Teak Wonder system. Teak cleaner, then brightener and then multiple coats of Sealer. It is easy to apply but does no last very long. Worse, it leaches out with rain, and stains the gelcoat beneath the scuppers.

So now I'm using Deks Olje, #1 oil only. I thinks that's what I'll be sticking with.

Hi Brian,

I know this post is a few years old now, but how did that test with the cap rail go- Cabots Exterior Poly over Deks Olje #1?

George

Another data point:

Last year we coated the teak chairs and table on our home deck with Waterlox as a test. We left them exposed to PNW weather and the finish still looks good. Based on that, we undertook refinishing the cap rail.

We washed, dried, then hand sanded with 150. Then using a microfiber cloth rubbed/buffed on one good coat of their Universal Tung Oil Sealer. After a day, wiped it down with another microfiber cloth. Then three coats of the Marine Satin finish applied over three days with foam brushes. This consumed almost all of the quart that I bought.

We are pleased with the initial results. Now the real test begins...how long will it last?

I had never heard of Waterlox before, despite using many different systems/products on various boats over the decades. Im hoping this is the unicorn we've all been waiting for.

Attachments

• rail.jpg
    rail.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi Brian,

I know this post is a few years old now, but how did that test with the cap rail go- Cabots Exterior Poly over Deks Olje #1?

George

George

I'm not doing it anymore....

It may have given a little more life, but not much. I have been using Deks Olje still since I don't have a convenient local supplier of Awlwood. Although its usually available at Coomera https://marinetradesupplies.com.au/?doing_wp_cron=1624920464.9498560428619384765625

I have found that provided I add a couple of additional coats of Deks #2 each year then I don't get the bleaching, suggesting that lots of coats are needed to counter the UV exposure we get here. Which product you use may be less important than the number of coats. I now think its a minimum of 6 for first time, then 2 or 3 annually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom