Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Cap rails re varnish ? oil ? 2 pak ?

For what it's worth, there are many references on the web to boaters successfully using Cetol over epoxy. However, some mention that certain types of epoxy, such as West Systems, could present a problem.

I asked the guy who did my cap rails and he said he used Smith's epoxy.

They've been sitting exposed to the sun in the Bay Area for a year and show zero signs of wear nevermind failure, so I'm not too worried about it.

Also, as a tip for extending the life of the finish, I put a coat of Paint Guard Plus on them every couple of months. If you aren't familiar, it's a synthetic paint sealant that has the consistency of water, and does NOT require that you wipe it off. It's sort of like using Windex...that easy. I use it on my cars and it lasts an absurd amount of time. Takes me less than 5 minutes to coat my cap rails. Highly recommended!

I also use Paint Guard Plus on the gelcoat but it didn't last as long as on the cars. I thought it wasn't working great but since then I used the 3M paste wax as it gets rave reviews and it turns out the Paint Guard Plus actually lasted longer than the paste wax. I may try the Paint Guard Plus again, or try Collonite next time. Not sure yet. Anyways, getting off topic, sorry!
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #22
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
or "rail cap"...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2680.jpg  
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
I am thinking of using Semco on my 30 year old decks. Plenty of meat left on them, bungs are good, but teak is too grainy in some places for my liking and... they are 30 years old. Thinking that at 30 years some protection that is harmless (except to my wallet and knees) might be wise. As far as I can tell they have been left to silver for many years. I just think there has to be something to give some partial protection from the Florida sun. If Semco is a bad choice it sounds like I can just let it go back to natural with no harm.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
....I may try the Paint Guard Plus again, or try Collonite next time.....
I made the mistake (at least a mistake to me on this particular occasion) to use Collonite on the hull of my Pursuit 25" CC. Decided never again. It was extremely hard to get off. Not sure if I let it dry too long or not enough but if I remember correctly I experimented both ways. Ugh! Maybe one day someone can clue me in on what my User Error was as I read about it being an awesome product.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
....I may try the Paint Guard Plus again, or try Collonite next time.....
I made the mistake (at least a mistake to me on this particular occasion) to use Collonite on the hull of my Pursuit 25" CC. Decided never again. It was extremely hard to get off. Not sure if I let it dry too long or not enough but if I remember correctly I experimented both ways. Ugh! Maybe one day someone can clue me in on what my User Error was as I read about it being an awesome product.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
78 per post #22,
I suspect that rail cap was on old ships w steel railings. To make them fancy w a bit or more bling sculptured wood cap boards were employed. And to make them fancier yet (as on a yacht) ...oiled or varnished rail caps and fancier yet w exotic woods .. teak ect.

I was introduced to “cap rail” on TF as a result of all the yachts their-in.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:51 PM   #27
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Has anyone tired a light coat of Aerospace 303 as for UV protection over varnished rails? I've been tempted to try it but keeping backing down.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #28

City: flordia
Vessel Name: USCHI
Vessel Model: 1976 Gulfstar 43 MK II Trawler
I stripped to bare wood. Two coats of west with 207 clear. Light sand. Five coats of Bristol 2 part..wil let you know how it works out. Yard manager told me they use that system on all Fleming yachts...time will tell...Gulfstar 43 mark II...
restless484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
The most consistently good varnish of a rail I have seen is on San Juan Yachts. I don't have certain knowledge, but their rep, when I was speaking with him, said epoxy with varnish over for UV protection.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:23 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Has anyone tired a light coat of Aerospace 303 as for UV protection over varnished rails? I've been tempted to try it but keeping backing down.

I have used 303 for many years and regardless of the compatibility, I can't see how it would last long enough on the rails to make any meaningful difference.

I'd give my recommendation of Paint Guard Plus a try, which lasts a long time and has UV inhibitors.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #31
Guru

This is the cap rail I'd want! It's a fiberglass cap rail that looks like wood and is an option on Fleming yachts. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	75430
Old 04-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
The 'Burrwood' rails on Flemings might be ok in some places. But here we have high UV and a lot of sunshine in general. They don't always last very well. A 65 here had them replaced.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
The 'Burrwood' rails on Flemings might be ok in some places. But here we have high UV and a lot of sunshine in general. They don't always last very well. A 65 here had them replaced.

Darn, thought it was the unicorn of cap rails.

Maybe a good solution would be a UV blocking tarp bigger than the footprint of the boat that was somehow suspended from above, shielding it from harm.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #34
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
78 per post #22,
I suspect that rail cap was on old ships w steel railings. To make them fancy w a bit or more bling sculptured wood cap boards were employed. And to make them fancier yet (as on a yacht) ...oiled or varnished rail caps and fancier yet w exotic woods .. teak ect.

I was introduced to “cap rail” on TF as a result of all the yachts their-in.
No, not really, its just the proper name for it. The wood that "caps" the rail, doesn't matter what the rail is made of or how old. That picture is from a boatbuilding book of mine, a modern one, by Robert Stewart. I realize most people say cap rail and will not move from that no matter what, I just prefer the proper terminology. And stir the pot a little, lol.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Barnegat Bay
Vessel Name: Hey Jude
Vessel Model: KK42-94
Quote:
This is the cap rail I'd want! It's a fiberglass cap rail that looks like wood and is an option on Fleming yachts. Attachment 75430
I can't afford the Fleming, never mind the fiberglass cap rail option... but that would likely be my choice if that dang money tree would just take root.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #36
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
I agree. I don't think Semco is a good fit for a cap rail. It doesn't last that long and doesn't offer much protection at all since, as you suggested, it doesn't build up in layers on top of the wood. At least not significantly enough to offer any protection.
Could be. Semco is an experiment for our boat. I was just at the Sun Coast Boat Show this weekend and again, outfits like Beneteau and Menorquin were using Semco on decks and cap rails. so we’ll try it. I should add that the veranda is covered on our boat so what we have left of the natural cap rail gets about 40-50% sun. I’ll soon be reinstalling the full canvas enclosure, so UV exposure will drop considerably. I’m following this thread closely....some good ideas here.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Larry: Keep us posted on how it works. You couldn’t much ask for anything easier to apply.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Larry: Keep us posted on how it works. You couldn’t much ask for anything easier to apply.
+1 on the results. I need to recaulk and refinish my sundeck teak.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Could be. Semco is an experiment for our boat. I was just at the Sun Coast Boat Show this weekend and again, outfits like Beneteau and Menorquin were using Semco on decks and cap rails. so we’ll try it. I should add that the veranda is covered on our boat so what we have left of the natural cap rail gets about 40-50% sun. I’ll soon be reinstalling the full canvas enclosure, so UV exposure will drop considerably. I’m following this thread closely....some good ideas here.

I should clarify. I don't think there's any reason why Semco won't work on the cap rail. It's just that it will offer minimal protection from nicks and scrapes, and will only last a maximum of one season, or around 6 months in direct sunlight based on my results.

I expect my cap rails, or rail caps, or whatever you want to call them, with epoxy and Cetol to last 3 seasons while protecting the wood from nicks and scratches. There is no way Semco would do the same.

So just depends what you're aiming for.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I used some on my old sailboat caprails(rail caps) a while back. The two part cleaner did a great job cleaning and renewing the color of the teak, although it did seem a bit harsh. I loved the ease of application and the look of the sealer. I sold the boat before I got chance to see how it lasted. I need to renew my teak on the dinghy and might try this again.
Attached Thumbnails
0AE90DA8-6620-4FE5-8496-F896F3AD4145.jpg  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote