Canvas and materials sources

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itwasntme

Veteran Member
I thought I would start a new thread with respect to materials supplies for those of you who do your own canvas work or interior furnishings.
I am talking about foam and I am talking about fabric, and also equipment, pretty much.
Just want to share my own experience.
I started out with the Sailrite sewing machine, which works pretty good, although it was pricey. I bought the LZ-1 for somewhere in the $700 range, although now they are almost $1,000. But this machine is really noisy. Easy to use, though. Worked good right out of the box. I also bought all my materials from Sailrite and small tools such as the foam cutter, the hot knife and the grommet, etc. tools. That was my course of action for nearly a decade. Projects turned out pretty good. I learned to sew from my grandmother when I was about 7 years old. The Sailrite videos are fantastic, though, on time saving details. I was living abroad at the time, and I would have things shipped to a friend's address and then take them with me in my luggage on occasional visits.
Last year I needed to do all the canvas work on a sailboat here in California, and had no occasion to fly and retrieve my things which are on the big boat on the hard.
Not wanting to spend a lot of money when I already had a nice machine, I bought a new Singer machine. Big mistake. It was not adjusted properly. Not worth using.
I now have an old Pfaff 360. Nice quality. It can handle thick fabrics like Sunbrella or canvas with ease. The only downside is that stitch length is limited. So it is hard to tack stitch, which is what you have to do when you make a zipper panel. You lay down a tack stitch that you rip open after the zipper is installed. But this sewing machine is one of the best made equipment I have ever used.
Now as for materials. Sailrite's prices are pretty good, and their customer support is excellent.
Because there is a Joann Fabric near where I live, I tried buying there and online. Granted, most of the fabric carried by ordinary fabric stores is not applicable to marine uses. Their notions selection is rather narrow. But their customer service is atrocious. For example, the last time I bought their fabric online, they sent my order in 1 yard increments. Not usable. Their prices are higher than Sailrite although they email 20% off coupons to you every day or so. I won't be ordering from them again.
I have had decent experience from fabricwarehouse.com for online, and downtown LA has some good selections available (although no Sunbrella).
I have been satisfied with foam from Sailrite, but usually can get better deals from a local place in Santa Ana.
I have also just bought foam mattresses on Amazon, and cut them to fit. It is nice to have an 8" or thicker mattress for the v-berth. This also usually costs a lot less than foam. The foam cutter does a good job and I use 3M Super 77 adhesive spray to glue pieces together for those really long pieces.
Something I have also done, when the existing foam is okay, I glue 2" memory foam on top and it really helps to made a more comfortable cushion.
I also love buying from Tandy leather. If there is a store near you, it is the best place to go for leather. The Costa Mesa store has very helpful people. I mostly go there for chafe material.
Anyway, this post is kind of rambling, but I hope it can be helpful. If you have any kind of ability to DIY, this is one area where it is definitely worth it to save some money or even make money.

I sure appreciate your post, very helpful. I've been shopping for a canvas-level sewing machine for quite a while but haven't pulled the trigger. General consensus seems to be Sailrite is the greatest, but boy that's expensive. I was looking at the Singer "heavy duty" but had no idea whether it was really up to the job. Good to know. I might try a Rex or used Juki. We have a Joanne's here too, and I have the same experience. Last time I was the only person in the store and the fabric cutter demanded TAKE A NUMBER!!! I almost burst out laughing. Service aside though, I did try their heaviest "outdoor" canvas as a patching material for our bimini. Our canvas is dark green, so I got matching canvas. In a single season all the patches turned light gray. Sure we get lots of U/V in the summer too, but we're not Florida either and the patches quickly looked ridiculous against the green bimini. Won't do that again. Anyway, thanks again for the post, very helpful.

I sure appreciate your post, very helpful. I've been shopping for a canvas-level sewing machine for quite a while but haven't pulled the trigger. General consensus seems to be Sailrite is the greatest, but boy that's expensive. I was looking at the Singer "heavy duty" but had no idea whether it was really up to the job. Good to know. I might try a Rex or used Juki. We have a Joanne's here too, and I have the same experience. Last time I was the only person in the store and the fabric cutter demanded TAKE A NUMBER!!! I almost burst out laughing. Service aside though, I did try their heaviest "outdoor" canvas as a patching material for our bimini. Our canvas is dark green, so I got matching canvas. In a single season all the patches turned light gray. Sure we get lots of U/V in the summer too, but we're not Florida either and the patches quickly looked ridiculous against the green bimini. Won't do that again. Anyway, thanks again for the post, very helpful.

I'll put in a word for a Singer Heavy Duty. It happened to be what I had on hand, I bought the right needles and Sunbrella + Special thread from Sailrite. The machine and same needle managed to make the following: Fitted cover for a 14' RIB with pedestal ; approx 8'-12' X 14' Bunny Pad cover; Outdoor sink/BBQ cover approx 7' X 4'; Aux Helm approx 5' X 4' and a cover for my windlass. It then started tangling the thread and I had it serviced locally for the grand price of $70.
~A

I've bought a lot over the years from Seattle Fabrics. Made skiing, backpacking, kayaking, boating, biking, etc. gear. Not quite as extensive of inventory as Sailrite, but very convenient for Seattle residents. During Covid, I used their mail order option. It was okay. They are still not open to the public, but now offering will call that works fine.

I've used Amazon for some smaller items like snaps, bungee cord, etc. You have to read the descriptions very carefully and even still I have had to return things. Best to have Amazon Prime with the auto return policy. I just ordered some "aluminum" blind rivets and washers that weren't. Back they go.

I've had a variety of sewing machines over the years, none of them really commercial weight. But my old Singer treadle also has a handcrank and can do heavy stuff like layers of leather (slowly). My mother-in-law just gave me her Brother "quilting" machine. I don't know or care what the quilting aspect is, but the other features (like self threading the needle and automatic thread cutting) are really slick. It has a walking foot attachment (like my vintage Singers), that works okay. It has no problem with 4 layers of Sunbrella. Unfortunately, when I was recently sewing a flying bridge cover with coated poly as a reinforcement for the plexiglass for the venturi, I learned that the walking foot is limited. It sort of "gathered" the material such that on an 8 foot seam I ended up with a 7' 11" width. Frustrating, but I guess I'll just have to remember that in the future.

I have had my Sailrite straight stitch machine for about 20 yrs. Did some of my own projects and friends in the marina. Fir a few yrs I took on more projects and invested the proceeds in improving my set up and equipment. I have stopped taking on new customers but do a few repairs, etc for older customers.
I agree Sailrite has a very broad selection and their videos are great.
I have also bought a lot of material from Rochford Supply
https://rochfordsupply.com/
and been very pleased.
They run specials on close-outs and seconds that have pretty minor problem and are great prices. They recently expanded their foam line but I haven't bought much of that from them. They also haveva good selection of mesh and some at very good prices.

I had the Singer 4423 Heavy duty first. Made several interior cushions with it and it worked good. Very refined and smooth. But it is not a walking foot and I would have to push the fabric though in some areas when it got several layers thick.

I then got the Blue Sailrite LSZ-1 walking foot with zigzag. I bought several binding attachments, Monster wheel and used it to make Sunbrella window covers with the Keter track on the top. Worked great but IMO can be a bit finicky. Its also a bit small.

I recently upgraded to the Seiko STH-8BLD-3 (Consew206RB-5). I then added a $150 Servo motor. Its a much more industrial machine over the sailrite. Night and day, simply amazing by comparison. They can be had for around $1950 new or I have seen them for around $900-$1100 used. I personally would buy the used Seiko or Consew over a new Sailrite. The one caveat would be if you needed portability. Then the Sailrite in the case is a no brainer.

As for material and fabric I actually have had good luck at JoAnns for interior items. But you have to use the coupons and generally need to buy in store. Many times there are 50% off coupons or more commonly 30%.
Next on my list for anything outdoors is just good ole sailrite. Their customer service is pretty good. I just research it on Sailrite and then check the net for prices. If there are no specials or wide price differences I just stick to Sailrite.

I have ordered from other online retailers with mixed results.

I recently sold my Sailrite LSZ1 with table and lots of spare parts to a buddy for $650. He gave me back my Singer 4423 that I previously let him borrow and I am happy to have it back. So Now I have the Seiko and the Singer. Dont overlook the Singer Heavy Duty machines. They are super easy to use as long as it feeds.

Last edited:
I have bought Sunbrella from greatlakesskipper.com.

We buy most of our supplies from either Sailrite or Big Duck Canvas https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/ We sometimes buy snaps, grommets and fasteners from McMaster Carr. After a few years with a Sailrite LSZ-1 we replaced it with a Juki DNU-1541S. The Sailrite was ok and the customer support was good but the Juki is a much more capable machine and well worth the extra cost assuming you don't need a portable machine.

Back
Top Bottom