Old 09-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Canvas

I javelin a Grand Banks 36. I need to replace my upper deck canvas. The framework is still in great shape. Has anyone done this? Any idea of the cost for a new Sunbrella covering? The back of the upper deck will remain open.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Rockport, Ontario
Vessel Model: 1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
I just replaced the fly bridge canvas on my 1986 Oceania 35. The canvas guy was the best in our area and works for our Marina. He used sunbrella and risen glass. All panels zippered for easy removal. $11,000 CAD. Using existing hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Our stern canvas is 20+ years old. Each year I have repaired and in necessary sections replaced. Mostly zippers stitching and replace the clear plastic. A lot cheaper than replacing. Also spreads out the cost over many years. I am having 3 panels repaired this year one might have to be replaced.

Each year the canvas is spread with rain repellant. Just the canvas not the plastic. Water beads off.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
It's a simple matter to call one or more canvas shops in your area and have them come to your boat and give you options and pricing. That's what I suggest you do.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #5

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
In the PNW, prices can really vary. Ask friends in you marina or club, especially the ones who have had recent work done. Sometimes your favorite yard may have a suggestion.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
A good canvas shop should be easily able to look at your vessel and discuss the job. For the windows they should have thoughts on the various kinds of vinyl, polycarbonate and acrylic. Not to mention threads and bonding. Then there are pros and cons of Stamoid vs Sunbrella.

We are going through this same activity. So much has changed in the past decade with enclosures and products, lots to learn we have found..
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
"Canvas shops" around here, with a few exceptions, are usually some guy operating mostly by word of mouth. Getting recommendations from boat owners who have done recent canvas work and liked the results is what seems to work best in this area.

The guy that is local to my boat has quite a reputation. He is known for his high quality work and reasonable prices as well as his never even coming close to meeting a completion date.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
I javelin a Grand Banks 36. I need to replace my upper deck canvas. The framework is still in great shape. Has anyone done this? Any idea of the cost for a new Sunbrella covering? The back of the upper deck will remain open.

Are you handy? Have you ever considered doing it yourself? Have you considered all options?

11 years ago I purchased a walking foot sewing machine for about $1500 and canvas and did my own. Zero sewing experience. Replaced all canvas and vinyl over the helm plus curtains around the then new hardtop that covers the stern.

Later did a friends boat in exchange for some cabinet work for my home. His came out much better than mine. He gained from my earlier learning experience Now my helm needs to be redone so I am waiting for a new hardtop from Atlantic Towers (about $5K plus shipping & installation).

So if you're ready to spend $11K as an example given above, maybe worth considering your options to include a hardtop and do your own side curtains.

I learned later that Sailrite has EXCELLENT videos pertaining to canvas work including how to do your own patterns. Any industrial sewing machine with a walking foot will work and there usually a bunch on EBay used in teh $500 or less range.

Sunbrella! I used Sunbrella before but at $25+/yard I intend to look at other manufacturer's similar materials. Just sharing my thoughts and good luck with your project which ever way you go.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I learned later that Sailrite has EXCELLENT videos pertaining to canvas work including how to do your own patterns.
Yup. They do.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
If you are inclined to give DIY a try check out the DIY Canvas Tips thread here on TF...might be helpful to those getting started sewing or thinking about it
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you are inclined to give DIY a try check out the DIY Canvas Tips thread here on TF...might be helpful to those getting started sewing or thinking about it
Concur!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Sailrite sells Sunbrella and other fabrics, for reasonable prices. My son recently bought a Sailrite kit to replace his sail cover on a 32 ft boat. Including Zippers, ties, basting tape, twist fasteners, Sunbrella, instructions, about $250US. We supplied the industrial sewing machine, he had 0 experience, but did a good job in 1 day.

I had a canvas guy replace my worn out tonneau cover on the flybridge of my trawler a few yrs ago. As Dave reported, a local guy, reliant upon word of mouth from boaters, cost me $500 Cdn. Don't know how much more complicated teh Bimini and side curtains would be. Likely not more than 2x as much.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
After paying $100 per hour twice just to have stitching replaced (new thread over old), I bought an old straight stitch Singer sewing machine and began making these repairs myself. It's not worth $100 per hour just to trace existing stitching with new thread. I've also replaced failed zipper and made covers for seats and the helm.

Sewing a new enclosure would be another level entirely. I suppose one could take the old canvas off, cut out the stitching and use it for patterns but in the end, how well is it going to fit and what will it look like?

Considering the cost of the sewing machine and accessories, the canvas, snaps, edging, etc., and your time and effort to learn how to sew and then do the actual sewing, is it worth it? These are the skills we pay $100 per hour for.

Get prices from reputable shops and then compare these to the cost of doing it yourself and the likely results. For many of us, especially if we have decent paying jobs, the shop may turn ot to be the best choice.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
I javelin a Grand Banks 36.
Why does autocorrect software assume that "javelin" comes up in regular conversation so frequently. Maybe once every 4 years.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #15
TF Site Team

Quote:
So if you're ready to spend $11K as an example given above, maybe worth considering your options to include a hardtop and do your own side curtains.

Sunbrella! I used Sunbrella before but at $25+/yard I intend to look at other manufacturer's similar materials.
foggy...

Take a look at Rochford Supply

Prices pretty reasonable and they sometimes have seconds that aren't all that bad... a pretty inexpensive way to get started w/ DIY sewing (I realize you are way beyond that but they can still be bargains)
I've bought a lot of different materials from them and have been pleased.
I have had very good luck w/ Top Notch both regular and seconds.

Post some pics of your bridge enclosure on
DIY Canvas - Show Off Your Projects
Old 09-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
foggy...

Take a look at Rochford Supply

Post some pics of your bridge enclosure on
DIY Canvas - Show Off Your Projects
HI Don--

I have dealt with Rochford since I purchased my Silverton some 11 years ago. And yes, they are one of the best suppliers.

My hardtop...........funny you should ask. I paid for the hardtop way back in May, Atlantic finished it in about 3-4 weeks. Then it was up to me to travel to NJ, pick it up, take it to my boat in Fairhaven, MA and of course install it.

No fault on Atlantic's part, that was what I agreed to. Then I started to put the pieces together on how I was going to get it, the size is 127" X 103". The thing needs to be transported in a vertical position in a pickup truck or whatever. So back to Atlantic----"Please arrange shipping and installation for me." But their installer had no requests for installation here in Massachusetts.

TODAY I TALKED TO THE SHIPPER/INSTALLER! His schedule is to be in this area next week so I should expect to see him on Thursday or Friday. Time is getting SHORT! My boat gets hauled in around 24th of October. I have to confirm that date.

So my Atlantic Tower's hard top over the rear deck has worked supper great, no bitches with them at all. I enclosed that deck with canvas & vinyl for the curtains. I have some Sunbrella (brown) left over but with my luck this year Wifey might surprise me by saying she wants/prefers PINK or whatever color canvas

I'll see if I can find any old pictures and get back to you for help posting.

Happy, easy going Joe here (today only )

Foggy
Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #17
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
Why does autocorrect software assume that "javelin" comes up in regular conversation so frequently. Maybe once every 4 years.
More in "Olympic" years.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
HI Don--

I have dealt with Rochford since I purchased my Silverton some 11 years ago. And yes, they are one of the best suppliers.

My hardtop...........funny you should ask. I paid for the hardtop way back in May, Atlantic finished it in about 3-4 weeks. Then it was up to me to travel to NJ, pick it up, take it to my boat in Fairhaven, MA and of course install it.

No fault on Atlantic's part, that was what I agreed to. Then I started to put the pieces together on how I was going to get it, the size is 127" X 103". The thing needs to be transported in a vertical position in a pickup truck or whatever. So back to Atlantic----"Please arrange shipping and installation for me." But their installer had no requests for installation here in Massachusetts.

TODAY I TALKED TO THE SHIPPER/INSTALLER! His schedule is to be in this area next week so I should expect to see him on Thursday or Friday. Time is getting SHORT! My boat gets hauled in around 24th of October. I have to confirm that date.

So my Atlantic Tower's hard top over the rear deck has worked supper great, no bitches with them at all. I enclosed that deck with canvas & vinyl for the curtains. I have some Sunbrella (brown) left over but with my luck this year Wifey might surprise me by saying she wants/prefers PINK or whatever color canvas

I'll see if I can find any old pictures and get back to you for help posting.

Happy, easy going Joe here (today only )

Foggy

My hardtop arrived and was installed Thursday of this week. AND SURE ENOUGH, WIFEY EXPLAINED/ SUGGESTED (demanded) that the color for the the new canvas needed for the new hardtop along with all the old brown canvas should (putting it mildly) be NAVY BLUE! Tuesday, I will put my order into Sailrite for 30 yards of navy blue.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You might try Great Lakes Skipper for Sunbrella. If they have your color, it is about $15 per yard in 60" width.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #20
TF Site Team

Foggy
I've been very pleased w Top Notch from Rockford.
It's actually heavier than Sunbrella and 60" wide about $20\ yd