Californian rub rail insert replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duvie

I have a 34 Californian LRC built in 1981. I have been looking for the vinyl insert (left photograph) that fits into a pcv rubrail but have not had any luck. I have googled it every way imaginable and there is nothing that comes up that matches it. I posted this earlier this year on the Californian forum and had no luck there so I figured I would try under general maintenance. I have attached pictures below. The PVC section is in great shape but the insert is very tired and in desperate need of replacement. I am hoping that the insert is still manufactured and that someone on the forum can point me in the right direction. Thanks, Leon

Attachments

• IMG00341-20110607-1338.jpg
    IMG00341-20110607-1338.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG00340-20110607-1338.jpg
    IMG00340-20110607-1338.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 112
Duvie,

It looks like we've got the same rubrail. Maybe these folks have it or send you in the right direction. It might help if you have the actual dimensions of the insert and the rail.

http://tacomarine.com/ccp51/media/images/site/RubRailReplacement0911.pdf

Report back on what you find. Mine is rough in spots and a section was missing from the bow when I bought the boat, but I figure it's part of the boat's "patina". I doubt I'll ever replace it, but it would be nice to know a source if I ever change my mind.

Maybe a call to Navigator/Californian Yachts in Perris, California would help.

Last edited:
Your best bet might be to contact the manufacturer of a currently made boat that utilizes this style of rubrail. Find out which supplier(s) they use for theirs and then contact them.

Even the lowly Livingston dinghy uses a setup similar to your photos albeit very scaled down in size. The company that supplies them may well make much larger versions.

Duvie,
Did you find what you were looking for?
I have a 30 Californian that I am restoring and it has the same tired rub rail
Living the Dream

No luck

I have tried all the above suggestions without any luck. I have the Winter cover on right now and think in the Spring I will try messing around with different shapes made out of wood to see if I can make something to snap in. If I am able to mill something out of wood that will work I will try duplicating the shape in some sort of commonly available "plastic" material. If I come up with something I will be sure to post. How long have you had the 30? I looked at a couple of those on Yachtworld a few years back but never got to look at one. I would like to see some pictures.

Purchaced Nov. 30 2012. I have it covered now but will post some photos in the spring. Thanks for the quick reply

Duvie,

It looks like we've got the same rubrail.

Interesting! So you guys share a rubrail, huh?

(Sorry, Al, but I just couldn't stop myself. :D)

Greetings,
Mr. Seahorse. I let that "bounce back" comment slide by in the mattress thread but this apparent eruption of innuendo risks a PG rating for this site. "share a rubrail" indeed! We, at least I, don't want to corrupt the kiddies on this site (I'm talking physical age NOT mental age) and potentially be responsible for producing potty mouthed sailors. We should ALL be concerned with filling our vessels with Semen and encourage the youngsters to do the same. There are enough yahoos out there cruising without protection and overpowered propulsion systems that it should be incumbent on the members to provide a good example. I mean this comment in the most polite sense and do not wish to alienate you but if in fact I have, it's imatesticle to me.

Reactions: JAT
I have tried all the above suggestions without any luck. I have the Winter cover on right now and think in the Spring I will try messing around with different shapes made out of wood to see if I can make something to snap in. If I am able to mill something out of wood that will work I will try duplicating the shape in some sort of commonly available "plastic" material. If I come up with something I will be sure to post. How long have you had the 30? I looked at a couple of those on Yachtworld a few years back but never got to look at one. I would like to see some pictures.

Duvie,
Have you considered replacing the rubrail altogether?
I am finding that that rubrail on my Californian is just not large enough to protect the farthest protruding rails (SS and wooden).

I believe the rubrail would have to protrude far too much to be practical especially forward to protect the areas you have mentioned. I think the main reason it is there is to cover the "hull to deck joint". Also the cost would be a few thousand dollars which I really do not want to throw at the rail right now.

Temporary? solution for rub rail insert

Purchased some 3/4" x 1" x 12" Veranda trim from Home Depot. Rounded the bottom on the 1 inch face in a jig on the radial arm saw and took a notch out of the bottom corner to make a press fit into the base PVC rub rail. Fit was tight enough that the piece would stay in place when tapped into place. Even around 90 % of the bow. Fastened with ss screws made for plastic. No pre-drilling required. The material seems a bit soft but held up to some pretty tough test blows with a 3 pound hammer on the shop floor. If it gets damaged it is only about 12 dollars a stick. Some oval ss trim would dress it right up and make the install a lot stronger but am going to run the boat the way it is this year. Not sure if it will be permanent or temporary fix but it looks good for now. Total cost was about $100.00 and a days work.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg