Butyl Tape Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnO

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tsula
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 42
Hey all - looking for some butyl tape and understand they are not all the same. Seems like the butyl that Compass Marine and Main Sail (mareinhowto.com) offered was considered the best, but Compass is out and Main Sail's online store is offline. Getting ready to rebed a deck plate and add a new washdown spigot as well. Any other recommendations?

That's bad news about Compass. My go to.

This guy has developed some really good butyl tape. I have used it and it is better than what I have used in the past for vintage campers.

https://marinehowto.com/

Yes, marinehowto.com is Compass Maine and he does sell great butyl but unfortunately he has been ill and the website has been down for a while.

I'd like to keep this going in the hope that there's somebody out there who knows a good substitute butyl tape. I'm on my last roll of Rod's excellent stuff. I find his site valuable, so I sent him a few bucks to help maintain it.

I wish him the best.

last time I needed some, I stopped by an auto glass shop and asked. They had some and it was inexpensive.

Fortunately I bought 5 boxes of it from Rod about a year ago…

Sure looks like it, Snap. Thanks. I'll give it a try. Good tip, k.

By the way, TF comes through again! Just remarkable.

I would feel better about this tape if it came in different widths. 1/2, 3/4, 1 inch

I got my roll from a rv store by me.

Greetings,
The tape I recently purchased was from West Marine. It seemed to work well but with no experience of using the Compass Marine stuff, I can't compare.

I believe Rod also sold his tape through Hamilton marine which is where I got mine.

Back
Top Bottom