Brown mustache

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What!!!?? And have the dock yacht police complain to the manager about my boat being unsightly and a future derelict? :eek:

The people selling special products have to be careful that their product doesn't screw up a boats finish and preforms under allot of different conditions giving the customer the best bang for his dollar

The Brown mustache boat soap product we make ---contains
3 acids so you can use it to clean the hull, teak deck
and neutralizes salt (like Salt A) great for windows and chrome
A wetting agent so it spreads easily and leaves no streaking
A surfactant that is a substitute for solvent that cuts the black soot
A fungicide to control mold on teak
A defoamer so the run off when you rinse it with water doesn't leave a foaming mess around your boat

Contrary to what most people think the stuff on the market is not a simple mix. Toilet bowl cleaner is phosphoric acid and rendered fats "that's simple" and for your toilet. So if you wreck your finish don't expect any warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the expensive stuff from a chandlery, and toilet bowl cleaner. Other than the huge difference in price, I see no difference in performance. In 20 yrs use I haven't detected any further deterioration of my gelcoat, so am not going to change from TBC just yet.
One day I am going to have the time to compound and wax after cleaning the hull, so will then get to see if the stain stays away for any appreciable time. I know a fellow who had a terrible time with the stain on his bows, until he got an Awlgrip paint job. No stain since, suggesting that the stain likes older gelcoat, where it can get a grip.

One day I am going to have the time to compound and wax after cleaning the hull, so will then get to see if the stain stays away for any appreciable time. I know a fellow who had a terrible time with the stain on his bows, until he got an Awlgrip paint job. No stain since, suggesting that the stain likes older gelcoat, where it can get a grip.

My understanding, such as it is, is that gelcoat is porous and oxidation makes it more so. The compound and waxing helps with that keeping the stains at bay.

I am going to pay to have my new/old boat compounded and waxed next week. Likely this will be the first time in its 6 year life. After that is done, I may consider taking on the task myself. However, being the lazy SOB that I am, you never know.

I am not the guy with the right answer.... so hopefully some will help.

Wax seems to be an issue with soot from exhausts and the brown mustache.

I have heard that polish works better but can't recommend anything.

Hold the wax till you hear the tales.....

I am not the guy with the right answer.... so hopefully some will help.

Wax seems to be an issue with soot from exhausts and the brown mustache.

I have heard that polish works better but can't recommend anything.

Hold the wax till you hear the tales.....

Soot and tannin stains love fresh wax.

If you use Zaino, Rejex or some other polymer Sealand the stains not only don't build up as fast they wash off much, much easier in my experience.

I don't actually have problems with the brown mustache. However one advantage of having an off white boat is it is less noticeable.

We have it on the west coast too, all over the place. I cleaned it off my boat when hauled with Starbrite Rust Remover, a guy loaned me his bottle. I read here that tannin is the primary suspect, but what is tannin and how and why is it in the water and why does it cause the stache? Enlighten me please. I was once told it was caused by cedar logs in the water!

The way I understand it is that tannin is released by organic matter in the water. It's the same stuff that gives your cup of tea it's "tea" color I believe.

It gives you the mustache effect because it sticks to gelcoat. I assume it sticks to gelcoat so well and not so well to two part poly paint becsuse the gelcoat surface is more porous than the paint surface.

If "On and Off" or toilet bowl cleaners or other acid product remove the stain, it's not tannins but something else. "Tannic acids" are neutralized and removed by basic products. Stains in stainless coffee carafes and teapots are typically removed by TSP or caustic soda. I suspect the brown stains on boats are iron oxides and are therefore most easily removed by oxalic or nitric acid.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

If "On and Off" or toilet bowl cleaners or other acid product remove the stain, it's not tannins but something else. "Tannic acids" are neutralized and removed by basic products. Stains in stainless coffee carafes and teapots are typically removed by TSP or caustic soda. I suspect the brown stains on boats are iron oxides and are therefore most easily removed by oxalic or nitric acid.

Jim

Here in RI it appears to be mineral and metallic oxides. I use 25% muriatic acid solution home mixed, sprayed or wiped on and left for a few minutes until the stains dissappear and then hosed off. Very cheap and easy. Two coats of Collonite wax goes a long way to reduce the staining.

"And have the dock yacht police complain to the manager about my boat being unsightly and a future derelict? :eek:"

DERELICT boats never move , decade to decade.

Your mustache is proof yours is not a derelict.

Recently hauled Badger and used Starbrite's SeaSafe Hull Cleaner (because it was all I could find locally) and it worked "good enough"...as in from 30 feet away our 30 foot boat looks pretty good :thumb:

Sea Safe Hull Cleaner

Attachments

• Badger bow stain - before.jpg
    Badger bow stain - before.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Badger bow stain - after.jpg
    Badger bow stain - after.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
...and from the arse end;

Attachments

• Badger stern stain - before.jpg
    Badger stern stain - before.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Badger stern stain - after.jpg
    Badger stern stain - after.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 140

Jim

It's tannin here in the South. Or perhaps a combination.

"Color may also be affected by the concentration of natural dissolved organic acids such as tannins and lignins, which give water a tea color."

http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/swamp/docs/cwt/guidance/3159.pdf

Are mustaches only common on white/light-colored hulls? Never had an issue with my dark-hulled boat. But neither did my Dad in the polluted 1960s SF Bay with his egg-shell colored sailboat used in salted water. Is it a fresh-water issue?

Are mustaches only common on white/light-colored hulls? Never had an issue with my dark-hulled boat. But neither did my Dad in the polluted 1960s SF Bay with his egg-shell colored sailboat used in salted water. Is it a fresh-water issue?

It obviously gets on a dark hull. Just rather hard to see.

Over in SW FL we got the stain more during rainy season and when running in the rivers or areas near the rivers. So in some sense it is a fresh water issue there.

Last edited:
I get the stain way more when I go through the Fraser river flow, in crossing between Vancouver and the Gulf Islands. If I go Gabriola Pass or Porlier Pass it is way less than if I go Active Pass, as taking the latter route I have to run up Georgia Strait past Sandheads, and sit in Fraser River water for a couple of hours. On the other routes, I only get a little time in Fraser water off the North Arm jetty.

If I clean up after I arrive in the Gulf Islands, it does come back, but more slowly.

So fresh water seems to have a lot to do with it.

Fresh water stahce . I guess I should clean it up while out .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom