Bronze Nipples 1" pipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Anyone in the Vancouver area know where I could source a threaded bronze nipple for 1" pipe? Threaded both ends, close length. Neither Western Marine, Wolff Marine or Steveston Hardware have any. They have brass but no bronze.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Look at that site a little closer,

"Note: We cannot source bronze nipples, and so we offer red brass instead. Due to the difference in corrosion resistance between these two metals, using them together in a below-the-waterline saltwater environment is not recommended. Instead, we recommend using tail pieces and hose."

True bronze fittings are very hard to impossible to find anymore it seems.

I have looked for those as well. Bronze nipples just aren't out there.

Martin Marine North Van. All the nipples any one man could possibly need.

Look at that site a little closer,

"Note: We cannot source bronze nipples, and so we offer red brass instead. Due to the difference in corrosion resistance between these two metals, using them together in a below-the-waterline saltwater environment is not recommended. Instead, we recommend using tail pieces and hose."

True bronze fittings are very hard to impossible to find anymore it seems.

Ooops!

Ahhh! Of course. Thank you. I had forgotten about MM. I'll give them a call. The old man stocked all kinds of stuff. Some of the stock in that store might be 50 years old. The store has since moved from its former location at the bottom of Lonsdale. Hey, speaking of old stuff, has Popeye's "Sex change" started up again.

I saw that West Maine has what I need but I need it ASAP.

Jim

If you're looking for close nipples, you really want machined as opposed to cast. Machined are stronger and close nipples don't have the wall thickness of longer nipples as they are completely threaded.

Ted

Nope! Nada. Martin told me the source for Groco is either Western Marine or Payne and neither show it in stock. I guess I'm going to have to bring it up from Seattle.

Jim

Sorry JD, I was sure they'd have some, I guess I need to make a run down there and update my memory inventory. They've still got lots of good stuff but perhaps less now that they have the fancy store.

Back
Top Bottom