Old 03-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Broken Swim Step Bolts

Removed swim step to haul back to my shop for re-finishing. It has several bronze threaded studs underneath that bolt through the swim step bracket. While removing, 4 of the studs broke off from corrosion. Didn't take much pressure from the socket to just twist off.
So, now need to remove the studs and replace. These are bunged in from the top.
Would appreciate any guidance or suggestions before I start drilling these out. I had thought about through-bolting, but would still have to deal with the bungs and existing studs. And after some consideration, I like the cleaner look with out exposed bolts on top.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
You do not mention if the swim set is wood or composite?

You're going to have to replace the bungs anyway so split the bungs and dig them out. There may be a screw head under the bung which could be turned out - maybe using an impact driver. If that is not possible, turn the stepd over and drive the broken studs out with a nail set and hammer. I have a flat head nail set but you could use a bolt or the same size or smaller to drive the broken bolt out.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
When I extended my swimgrid 10 to 15 yrs ago, I found the Stainless bolts that held the brackets onto the transom either corroded away or were getting there, in that portion that extended through the transom. It was definitely time to replace those bolts, which had been there over 20 yrs. The bolts holding the teak to the tops of the brackets had not failed. Those were Brass, into bronze brackets.
I fastened the teak swimgrid to the new Stainless support brackets using SS carriage bolts, so the heads are always visible on the top surface, though not a toe stubber.
I didn't put any bolts into the transom below the waterline, so hopefully eliminated that source of corrosion.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Yup, remove the bungs. Careful when knocking the bolts up so as to not break out the bore farther; clean around the head. My new wood platform, and the original fiberglass, is screwed from underneath. I bolted the swim ladder on to the platform using stainless steel 'elevator' bolts: big, wide, flathead carriage bolts. Flush and neat.

You may choose to bolt your platform down and not bother bunging. Fill the existing counterbores with epoxy and redrill for carriage- or elevator bolts.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
Guru

I use a sheet rock screw to remove the bungs. Cut the head off and chuck it in the cordless drill. Center it on the bung and give it a couple revolutions. Makes fast work of it.
The screw usually lifts both halves of the bung up enough so you can get them out without prying.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #6

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I use a sheet rock screw to remove the bungs. Cut the head off and chuck it in the cordless drill. Center it on the bung and give it a couple revolutions. Makes fast work of it.
The screw usually lifts both halves of the bung up enough so you can get them out without prying.
That is brilliant! I will file that away . . .
Old 03-26-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Since the swim step brackets are Bronze, I should stick with Bronze fasteners, not Stainless?
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
I would use silicon bronze.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote