Brass refinishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
I am refinishing some brass in the boat. My question is what do you put on it to keep the shine? I would like to put a coating on that will last a long time. Thanks for all the help.

Brasso ... brass polish.
Every USN sailor knows that.
Shake the can.
Rub it on w a soft cotton cloth for awhile.
Then just use your finger.

Then spray on your favorite clear coating. I think we used lacquer.
Had to polish our brass belt buckles. And a few other brass things if you had parade gear.

Last edited:
I am refinishing some brass in the boat. My question is what do you put on it to keep the shine? I would like to put a coating on that will last a long time. Thanks for all the help.

Lacquer is traditional. Easy to apply, repair, and remove. (acetone)
Brass must be cleaned with acetone prior to application.

Polyurethanes are probably just as good. maybe a little harder to apply but might last a little longer.

In the navy, a long time ago, after polishing the brass, wipe down with acetone to remove any polish residue, and then coated with Varathane clear plastic coating.
We never had to polish and recoat.

I recently attacked a badly oxidized brass cased clock,needed 600 wet & dry in one area to get it back, followed by "Autosol" brand polish, which gets extraordinary results. Next time I`ll do lacquer on top, after acetone.

Whether to top coat brass is always a dilemma for me.
The tougher coatings (urethane) last longer but are more involved to remove to republish. Lacquer easier to remove but not as durable.
Frequently I'll just put a good paste wax on and the repolish is more frequent but very easy not requiring the removal step?
Lots of choices all with +/-!!

Collinite Metal Wax both cleans and coats. I'd start with that as it has many uses on a boat. I'd likely put a polymer sealant on it, like Rejex since I usually have some of that around. Both are easy to use and apply with a cloth.

In the Navy, we used bug juice for general cleanup, then Brasso for the shine. Bug juice is the same as the unsugared Kool-Aid packs. Highly concentrated citric acid. Mix it in water and soak for 24 hours. Will look brand new. Choose your flavor wisely though. Cherry will give it a light reddish tint that looks great. Grape, not so much. Stick with Lemonade for the normal brass look.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom