Bowsprit work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
When I went for the survey cruise in 2014, the engine overheated and we shut down for a cool off. The boat had two anchors, one with chain and one with rode. Since the windlass did not work, I threw the anchor with the rode over the side. The bow roller just about went with it. Seems it was attached by one #10 screw.

Turned out neither bowroller rolled, and the bowsprit was in pretty rough shape

The first pic is the bowsprit on the Pilgrim 40 Real Mountie. That's what my bow should have looked like (except for a different windlass setup).

The second pic is the original BS moved from the boat and stripped of hardware. Notice that you can still see the holes from the first installation in 1988 of one bow roller in the center of the BS. Also note the lack of "meat" on the sides of the BS where the two bowrollers were attached.

I built a solid BS from scraps that had been hanging around a long time. Some pieces were from my first boat, a 1938 Matthews, some from boat guy's basement that I helped clean out in 1984. I "varnished the BS with seven coats of Total Boat Envy, a two part clear varnish product. The finished product is shown in pic three.

The bowsprit was installed May 2016, was out in the Long Island sun until November then covered until June. Since June the boat has been used in New England in the Summer and northern Florida in the Winter.

The varnish was pretty much shot by June 2019.. Based on the bowsprit and some other Envy application on the boat, I would not recommend Envy as a varnish type product.

I just stripped off the Envy and am now in the process of applying 8 coats of Awlwood Gloss, with a yellow primer base.

Rain this AM so you got this post instead of me doing a third coat.

John

Attachments

• Real Mountie.jpg
    Real Mountie.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Old_BS_5-20-16.jpg
    Old_BS_5-20-16.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 31
  • New_BS_7-17-16.JPG
    New_BS_7-17-16.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 30
  • old_Envy.jpg