Old 07-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #21
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
In South Florida Interlux Micron 66 is the choice for ablative, Pettit Trinidad SR for a hard paint. They both are copper with an extra anti-slime ingredient. I think the anti-slime ingredient is important in extending the life of the paint. Cheaper paints just don’t work as well.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Iím not always a big fan of ďdo what the locals doĒ but in Alaska we used the bottom paint that almost all the locals used. Dirt cheap ($80gal) and it worked quite well. It was Petitt Sea Mate.

Again we are using local as in what the yard uses. It works even better than the Sea Mate.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #23

City: Hilton Head Island
I don't know the paint, but I suspect that it is the ablative type from reading this forum. I have the boat cleaned by divers each month, so maybe that may be too much for this paint. As I am educating myself, I see threads that this paint is supposed to be good for frequent use, but not good for being rubbed each month by divers. When I put it on rack in December to do annual maintenance etc., I will find out, and probably repaint the whole thing and make sure its done right. Thanks
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Hmmm! I just inquired at the border and CBSA informs me that I am unable to bring Pettit Trinidad SR across the border. I havenít purchased the paint yet. Iím not giving up just yet, but anyone have any thoughts? Iím looking for a good quality non ablative paint.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #25

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
By the way, I decided on the Ultima SR60. I bought the older formula for a steal at defender ($135 a gallon) during their big sale. Instead of Irgarol, they have some other additive as a biocide because it's from when Irgarol was off the market for a few years. Most bottom paints don't have a slime biocide anyway, so I figure it's whatever. Pretty pumped on the deal.

The other one I was considering is Micron Extra. Also seems pretty legit.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Hmmm! I just inquired at the border and CBSA informs me that I am unable to bring Pettit Trinidad SR across the border. I havenít purchased the paint yet. Iím not giving up just yet, but anyone have any thoughts? Iím looking for a good quality non ablative paint.

Jim
Any idea why it's prohibited? BTW, put it on my boat last fall and couldn't be happier! My bottom scrubber loves it.

Maybe you should relable the cans.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #27
Guru

Bottom paint type

Ted: I believe the % Cuprous Oxide exceeds Cdn regulation which, according to the local service yard manager, is 45%. Trinidad Pettit SR is 65%. He said I shouldnít have asked! Lol. He also said I could go to Michaels Crafts and buy a bag of Cuprous Oxide and add it to the paint of my choice. Apparently itís cheap. He said heís done that.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I have had the Jotun Seavictor 50 on for a year now. Excellent results, I'll easily get another year and the waterline area is free of growth. So, far superior to Micron Extra. Of course I've been in tropical or sub-tropical waters, and performance may vary for cold waters. Although usually cold water is easier on the AF.

Jotun does have a global spread apparently.
https://www.jotun.com/

The TDS is not that informative, but I found another source that indicates Seavictor 50 has 39.59% cuprous oxide.

https://www.jotun.com/Datasheets/Dow...0__Euk__GB.pdf

JOTUN MARINE COATINGS 60A5000 SEAVICTOR 50 ANTIFOULING RED -- Product Profile
Old 03-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #29
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I have had the Jotun Seavictor 50 on for a year now. Excellent results, I'll easily get another year and the waterline area is free of growth. So, far superior to Micron Extra. Of course I've been in tropical or sub-tropical waters, and performance may vary for cold waters. Although usually cold water is easier on the AF.

Jotun does have a global spread apparently.
https://www.jotun.com/

The TDS is not that informative, but I found another source that indicates Seavictor 50 has 39.59% cuprous oxide.

https://www.jotun.com/Datasheets/Dow...0__Euk__GB.pdf

JOTUN MARINE COATINGS 60A5000 SEAVICTOR 50 ANTIFOULING RED -- Product Profile
Brian...what were you using before SeaVictor...And what colour is it?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:21 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Ted: I believe the % Cuprous Oxide exceeds Cdn regulation which, according to the local service yard manager, is 45%. Trinidad Pettit SR is 65%. He said I shouldnít have asked! Lol. He also said I could go to Michaels Crafts and buy a bag of Cuprous Oxide and add it to the paint of my choice. Apparently itís cheap. He said heís done that.

So let me get this straight, you can buy a 45% Cuprous Oxide ablative paint that slowly desolves into the water as you use the boat, but you can't use a higher content that stays on the hull (hard paint). Don't think I would be adding Cuprous Oxide to another paint. Obviously you loose any warranty for adhesion and effectiveness from the manufacturer. Further, for what the whole cost of a bottom paint job is, I want a proven product, not something that might work.

Ted
Old 03-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Brian...what were you using before SeaVictor...And what colour is it?
I had used Micron Extra for 3 years, both blue and black. I'm using the Seavictor black at present. It might need some activity, as opposed to just sitting at the dock a lot of the time. My 5 month cruise last year was good activity, but I take the boat out every couple of weeks usually.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #32
Guru

I agree Ted! Hereís an update. I have now found out that there are antifouling paints that can be imported into Canada with higher %ís of Cuprous Oxide:

https://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/docu...54/121029E.pdf

For example International Paintís Ultra Kote can be imported into Canada and that varies between 66% (Ultra Kote) and 72% (Ultra Kote extra). So it seems there should be no reason why I would be refused from bringing one of these products across the border...either the International Paint product or the Pettit Trinidad.

Ted, if you happen to have a can of this stuff around how visible/prominent is the % copper content on the label?

Jim
Old 03-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
I agree Ted! Hereís an update. I have now found out that there are antifouling paints that can be imported into Canada with higher %ís of Cuprous Oxide:

https://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/docu...54/121029E.pdf

For example International Paintís Ultra Kote can be imported into Canada and that varies between 66% (Ultra Kote) and 72% (Ultra Kote extra). So it seems there should be no reason why I would be refused from bringing one of these products across the border...either the International Paint product or the Pettit Trinidad.

Ted, if you happen to have a can of this stuff around how visible/prominent is the % copper content on the label?

Jim
It isn't.

Name:  ZZ21851.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  24.8 KB

Doesn't seem to be on the front of the can. I'm sure it's in the mouse type on the back.

Ted
Old 03-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #34
Guru

Yes, I saw that photo. Not sure about the back of the tin.

It seems that paints of this type may be phased out. Not sure. California is bringing in new regs...
https://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/su...copper_afp.pdf

And...
https://www.paint.org/article/use-co...latory-update/

https://www.khlaw.com/Pesticide-Regu...ng-Regulations

Jim
Old 03-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Yes, I saw that photo. Not sure about the back of the tin.

It seems that paints of this type may be phased out. Not sure. California is bringing in new regs...
https://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/su...copper_afp.pdf

And...
https://www.paint.org/article/use-co...latory-update/

https://www.khlaw.com/Pesticide-Regu...ng-Regulations

Jim

This stuff drives me crazy. Nanny state broad brush approach by brain dead politicians. The concept of wanting to reduce copper based contaminants in marinas by lumping all copper based paints in the same category is insane. If you use a paint with a 3 to 5 year life expectancy that isn't ablative, it would seem a reasonable assumption that the amount of contamination from a diver scrubbing it would be exponentially less than a soft ablative with a 1 to 2 year life expectancy.

Well I guess I will need to follow a "Best Practice Approach" by maintaining a future supply of bottom paint in my spares department.

Ted
Old 07-23-2019, 01:13 AM   #36
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Tuna Fin Ity
Vessel Model: CHB Royal Star Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

This stuff drives me crazy. Nanny state broad brush approach by brain dead politicians. The concept of wanting to reduce copper based contaminants in marinas by lumping all copper based paints in the same category is insane. If you use a paint with a 3 to 5 year life expectancy that isn't ablative, it would seem a reasonable assumption that the amount of contamination from a diver scrubbing it would be exponentially less than a soft ablative with a 1 to 2 year life expectancy.

Well I guess I will need to follow a "Best Practice Approach" by maintaining a future supply of bottom paint in my spares department.

Ted
Just had my CHB hauled and bottom painted at Marine Group in San Diego and here's what they used:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5256(1).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	91370
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #37
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Just had my CHB hauled and bottom painted at Marine Group in San Diego and here's what they used:Attachment 91370
That anti fouling paint product exceeds California's maximum allowable copper leach rate and I assume you were only able to use it because the yard is selling its remaining stock. I'd be surprised if you get to use for your next bottom job.