Old 10-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
Okay, since I started this thread, let me add some more info. Just heard from the Marina, it does need bottom recoat. $2600, including outdrive. Sounds reasonable - about $100/ft of painted surface, includnig the outdrive. I will send pictures when all done. Some thoughts, please: On this 28ft Sea Ray SLX 280, I rarely go over 20mph, although it can go quite a bit faster - is this fast enough to knock of barnacles that have attached? I am not talking slime, these things are attached. I think my problem is that I don't use it enough and it sits at times for 3 weeks, sometimes a month, before i can get back to her and run her out for a while.
Question for FSTBTTMS or Divers on TF: What should I tell my diver to use on the bottom in terms of scrubbing? Or am I just toast because the waters on Hilton Head are so warm the growth will come and attach unless I run it often?
What paint are you using?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #42
Guru

City: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Chrisjs "I guess most of us use ablatives, but also most of us travel slowly at trawler speed. Since this is a (fast) planing boat, is there a case to be made for a hard (non ablative) bottom paint??"

Depends on how fast he cruises. And some ablatives ablate faster than others. I haven't had issues with excessively fast wear with Micron CSC or Micron Extra on my boat that cruises at 17 - 18 kts. Stuff targeted at keeping sailboats clean will ablate more easily, I'd think, so may not be a good choice on a faster boat.
Good question and I'd like to know more also. I was under the impression that ablatives are better for higher speed boats in order to ensure the peeling of layers (at the micro-level of course), thus exposing new biocides. And that hard coatings are better for slow, displacement speed boats which will never reach those speeds, and which can be scrubbed a bit more.

I switched to ablative on one of my past boats and after a season did notice more wear at the waterline than below.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #43
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
On this 28ft Sea Ray SLX 280, I rarely go over 20mph, although it can go quite a bit faster - is this fast enough to knock of barnacles that have attached?
Not a chance.

Quote:
Question for FSTBTTMS or Divers on TF: What should I tell my diver to use on the bottom in terms of scrubbing?
Please don't use the information you garnered from a group of people who do not clean boat bottoms to try to educate your diver about his or her profession. If you have a halfway experienced hull cleaner, he/she is going to know what cleaning media will be necessary to remove the fouling on your hull. And again, what they use is completely dependent upon how foul you let your boat bottom get between cleanings. Know also that relatively frequent, gentle cleanings will add significant time to the lifespan of your expensive anti fouling paint as opposed to less frequent, more abrasive cleanings.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Know also that relatively frequent, gentle cleanings will add significant time to the lifespan of your expensive anti fouling paint as opposed to less frequent, more abrasive cleanings.
Major point. For us, it's every three weeks during half the year, every four the rest of the year but the period of every four has gotten shorter, fewer months. Our diver is charged with the task of not letting it get to the point of requiring abrasive cleaning and does an excellent job. They check conditions starting at two weeks and occasionally clean at two weeks. However, we're averaging 2 1/2 years on bottom paint.

Now, for all you bottom cleaners, I'd toss out to owners, you can make their jobs easier with more frequent cleanings. Yes, it will cost more but they'll give you price breaks and it will pay off in other ways, including fuel and bottom painting. In some areas, bottom cleaning isn't as much an issue but in other areas it may be the most important maintenance item you have. Our bottom cleaner checked once this summer after two weeks and told our engineer they'd be out to clean the following day based on what he saw.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #45
Guru

City: Here
Hard to tell from the photo due to what appears to be marine growth however .... there should be a 1.5" unpainted border around your transom assembly.
This required by drive manufacturers and will be in your manual.

The reason, many (most) bottom paints have some metal component such as carbon, titanium dioxide or cuprous oxide that can cause a galvanic reaction with the aluminum of your drive if in contact and enhance corrosion of the aluminum.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #46

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
What is the best method for removing barnacles, just pulled boat and it is loaded.
larman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #47
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by larman View Post
What is the best method for removing barnacles, just pulled boat and it is loaded.
You know they are edible .... right ?
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #48
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Okay, since I started this thread, let me add some more info. Just heard from the Marina, it does need bottom recoat. $2600, including outdrive. Sounds reasonable - about $100/ft of painted surface, includnig the outdrive. I will send pictures when all done. Some thoughts, please: On this 28ft Sea Ray SLX 280, I rarely go over 20mph, although it can go quite a bit faster - is this fast enough to knock of barnacles that have attached?
That price estimate seems high for a 28' boat. Does the job include old paint removal,adding a barrier coat plus bottom paint? Must be more to the estimate than scrapping old growth and bottom painting. And much of old growth usually succumbs to a high pressure water sprayer. My sprayer (4000psi @3gal/min) started taking the paint off my van until I stopped spraying.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #49

City: Santa Fe, NM
Vessel Name: High Slack
Vessel Model: Selene 43
Is there anybody out there in the PNW who keeps their boat in the water year-round who cares to chime in with how often they get their bottom cleaned? I'm imagining that it's less frequent than in Florida. But, like I say, I'm just imagining.

Assume that the bottom is in good shape and newly painted.
Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #50

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You know they are edible .... right ?
I also hear that you use them on your hemroids., right?
larman is offline   Reply With Quote