Old 03-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #21
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
5 days to bottom paint a 33' sportfisher?
And remove the swim step, fab new stainless brackets. Remove the exhaust outlets and re-seal. Never done it before, that's why I am asking.
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #22
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
And remove the swim step, fab new stainless brackets. Remove the exhaust outlets and re-seal. Never done it before, that's why I am asking.

You neglected to mention any of this in your initial post. This work is not part of a bottom painting estimate.

It takes an hour to scrape any loose bottom paint and get the paint mixed and the area prepared for painting. It takes me an afternoon (4 hours) to put the first coat of bottom paint on my 34' trawler using a roller and extension. The next afternoon it takes about 2 hours to apply the next coat. I don't have to tape but I do renew the boot stripe. Add an hour.

I have resealed the swim platform brackets and that took an afternoon.

Removing and resealing the single exhaust outlet is harder to estimate. I had to replace the exhaust hose and so renewed the entire system. Popping off the exhaust outlets may include releasing them from the exhaust hose which may break or be very difficult to reach from inside or both.

Unless you have an existing leak I would forgo this job until you are replacing the exhaust hoses. These hoses get old and hard and don't like to be disturbed. And they are expensive. I would think a prudent boatyard would estimate time and materials. Might take an hour. Might take 2 days and hundreds of dollars of material. You decide if it's worth it.

Good luck with your new boat.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #23

City: Miami, FL
Vessel Name: Mermaid Life
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Everyone should do it themselves at least once. You will learn quickly if you want to do it again or pay a professional.
No truer words ever spoken on the subject. I did a 58’ Hatteras motoryacht in Miami in July. Never again.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #24
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
No truer words ever spoken on the subject. I did a 58’ Hatteras motoryacht in Miami in July. Never again.
I walked outside once in Miami in July. Never again.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I'm fully in the never again camp. I'm fully willing to do ANY job on a boat except the bottom.

Mr. DDW. Miami's not so bad. Just a spit and a whistle to the Keys and an easy day to the Bahamas.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We just had Hobo painted. This was in Jacksonville, FL and the local yards are all about the same. They charged for 3 gallons of Trinidad Pro and threw in another 1/2 for 2 full coats. With tax $2,021.62
Attached Thumbnails
D8EA5FDD-F9B9-4874-83FE-95EB4C45DF2D.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I never sand and we always do it ourselves.
But it’s just a money issue and next time I may have someone else do it. Getting old.

With your boat that’s rather flat on the bottom doing it yourself may be a PITA depending on how high off the ground. Add wind, dust ect .... I’d definitely check on local prices.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #28
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Bottom paint is definitely a job I'd like to farm out, as it kinda sucks to do. But I do it myself at this point. I might get the bottom stripped and re-done in the next couple of years, as there's a lot of paint buildup on it and some has chipped. And I've got a couple chips right through the barrier coat and gel coat that I need to touch up. So I'll scrape what I can this year, knock down some of the buildup and rough spots with a sander and see what I get when I throw on a new coat of paint.

In the end, it's all about time vs money. In my case, the boat is already on the hard for winter, so me throwing some time and paint at it is much cheaper. And the less money I spend paying people to do stuff I can do myself, the more money I get to spend on other stuff, like using the boat.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #29
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Based on how I have seen yards paint, in some bad conditions.....and how many paint failures occur..... watch out who you get to do it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Based on how I have seen yards paint, in some bad conditions.....and how many paint failures occur..... watch out who you get to do it.
That is why I do my own.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
As I get older I am less interested in saving money. I did all my own bottom prep the last time because I wanted it done my way. However, the yard only wanted $100 to roll on the bottom paint, my time is worth more than that so I paid them to paint the bottom.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #32
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Our yard is pretty laid back and will let you do the work but will not allow contractors unless they approve. We had the, paint it first year and I felt the job was ok but felt we could do it just as well. Last season I sanded and prepped the bottom and then my wife dond the tyvek suit and did the painting. She did not mind doing it and did a good job. We did 2 coats of Petit Hydrocoat last year when we changed color from black to green. Going to do one coat this year. It is a messy and dirty job but by painting it ourselves we save some dough which can be used for the stuff I am not able to do such as engine work and electrical.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #33
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Money is not the issue for me. Painting the bottom for me is part of owning a boat. If I can't paint the bottom of the boat, time to retire from boating. We bought Sandpiper from an 86 year old gentleman who I met in a boatyard while he was painting it's bottom. It's a good goal to strive for.

I crank up the tunes and get "one with my bottom". It's an opportunity to exam every inch of the bottom and assess it's condition.

If the painting is done properly and if enough coats of ablative paint is applied, the time between haul outs can be stretched. Continuous mixing of the paint is critical during application which an yard worker, irregardless of skill level, will not be as dilligent as me.

And since I'm not motivated by profit, my goal is to get as much ablative paint on the bottom as possible.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #34
Guru

I have always done my own. I'll be honest in that if I had to pay all these years I never would have been able to afford boating. And not just bottom painting....everything.
I never really sand a lot, I would call it scratching or scuffing. And now I use a drywall sanding stick so I don't have to crawl around as much.
Then a quick acetone wipe to remove the dust.
Roll on the paint using a croquet mallet handle for a stick.
Done.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #35

City: Colonial Beach, VA
Vessel Name: Tatoosh
Vessel Model: 1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
Having mine pulled in April. Quoted $2300 for the haul out, blocking, pressure washing, scraping, sanding, bottom paint (4 gallons of Trinidad), new zincs and repack my rudder stuffing boxes. This is for s 49-ft MT.

I used to do it myself. When I couldn't afford to have others do it, and my back worked better.

I did my 1963 36-ft steel hulled CC Roamer once in July in Virginia. Never, ever again will I bottom paint a boat. Between stripping 30 coats of bottom paint off, re-plating part of the steel hull and building new SS rudder stuffing boxes, I almost died (or wanted too).
Old 03-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #36

Redhook, you have an incredible quote, the 4 gal of Trinidad alone are over $1000 (not to mention the cost of anodes). Hard to figure where the yard makes it's profit.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #37

City: Colonial Beach, VA
Vessel Name: Tatoosh
Vessel Model: 1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Redhook, you have an incredible quote, the 4 gal of Trinidad alone are over $1000 (not to mention the cost of anodes). Hard to figure where the yard makes it's profit.

Pretty sure they are a bunch cheaper in bulk, and to Marinas directly. Either way, yes, it is a good deal. Its a five hour cruise there (at 8 knots), but will be a good shake-down. It was painted last April by the same people with Trinidad. I am pulling mostly to assess the zincs and take care of the rudder boxes. The paint is just an addition for me.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #38

City: High Ridge
EPA Restrictions on paint

I inquired about bottom paint whe we were on the hard at our local yard.
Port Charles Harbor St. Charles, MO

Paul told me the EPA regulations are very strict
in the south. Especially FL.
Even the type of sand, media, soda blasting they can do.
Not to mentiion the paint itself.

So, if you may want to look at stateswith less. EPA restrictions when shopping for better paint job. And plan to have it done while doing The Great Loop.

Port charles harbor
cruisedon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Boise
LaConner Maritime is a good place to go. Haul, pressure wash, block, tarp and splash by them. You cannot sand or grind (EPA)but if you are quick you can grind a few blisters. Should not have to sand. My 32 usually cost about $800 including cost of paint. For a laborer I used Labor Ready ( now People Ready) You can replace the zincs yourself.
Begorrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Isleton, CA
Bottom Paint

I haul my boat every 2 or 3 years. I always have the yard do it. As someone mentioned painting is the easy part. Prep is everything, then there is hazaardus waste disposal. I think I paid about $1500 the last time including pressure wash, sanding, new zincs. 36' by 10' semi-displacement.... wood recauking adds another thousand every few years.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0222.jpg   _DSC0185.jpg  
Bill Wells is offline   Reply With Quote