Old 07-01-2021, 09:18 PM   #1
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
A Lesson in Maintenance Approach

Over many years reading topics here, I have observed a profound tendency for assuming and pursuing the worst of causes of problems rather than starting with the simple, the basics. We dive, myself included at times, deep into the complicated and expensive. Well, I succumbed to this tendency myself just two days ago. My reason for relating this story is to suggest to readers to please, start with the basics. Do not assume the worst.

My mechanical problem was with a vehicle, not on a boat but it doesn't matter in principle. My wife and I were 60 miles away from Everett, WA on a road trip from Maryland to visit our son (US Navy lifer). Just after summiting Steven's Pass on US 2, our Chevy Tahoe died. The day before it had become hard to start. We had to get it towed (AAA) 60 miles to a Chevy dealer. My guess the problem was oxygen sensors as the symptoms before it quit completely were consistent with failed sensors.

Well, today I got a call today from the dealer with good news. A $12 repair, a broken clamp which separated the air cleaner and Mass Air Flow Sensor from the engine intake. The engine computer was getting bad info from the MAF sensor and the engine died. Moral of the story? Start simple. Check the obvious, the apparent. I never even opened the hood. What abject stupidy! My only comfort is that, with a broken clamp, I may not have been able to effect a repair but I am probably kidding myself. I may have been able to rig something to get me going.

Anyway, start with the simple and work deeper later.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Over many years reading topics here, I have observed a profound tendency for assuming and pursuing the worst of causes of problems rather than starting with the simple, the basics. We dive, myself included at times, deep into the complicated and expensive. Well, I succumbed to this tendency myself just two days ago. My reason for relating this story is to suggest to readers to please, start with the basics. Do not assume the worst.

My mechanical problem was with a vehicle, not on a boat but it doesn't matter in principle. My wife and I were 60 miles away from Everett, WA on a road trip from Maryland to visit our son (US Navy lifer). Just after summiting Steven's Pass on US 2, our Chevy Tahoe died. The day before it had become hard to start. We had to get it towed (AAA) 60 miles to a Chevy dealer. My guess the problem was oxygen sensors as the symptoms before it quit completely were consistent with failed sensors.

Well, today I got a call today from the dealer with good news. A $12 repair, a broken clamp which separated the air cleaner and Mass Air Flow Sensor from the engine intake. The engine computer was getting bad info from the MAF sensor and the engine died. Moral of the story? Start simple. Check the obvious, the apparent. I never even opened the hood. What abject stupidy! My only comfort is that, with a broken clamp, I may not have been able to effect a repair but I am probably kidding myself. I may have been able to rig something to get me going.

Anyway, start with the simple and work deeper later.
Totally agree, something not working? Start to check if it is plugged. Sounds stupid but this is RCA step 1.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Agree. Windshield washer stopped working. Replaced the pump. no joy. Replaced the level sensor. Nothing. replaced the coolant level sensor. Still dead. Took it to a mechanic for replacement of expensive electronic module.

He tightened a ground screw. (The screw was right next to my hand when I replaced the pump and sensor and to make it worse, I keep a voltmeter in the trunk)
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:55 PM   #4
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Well, today I got a call today from the dealer with good news. A $12 repair,

You're lucky. If I take my diesel pu to the dealer, sensors start at $300. So I bought the diagnostic software and got the money back on the first failure. If I was younger, I'd put a mechanical Detroit in the truck.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:09 AM   #5
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
One of my first Porsche instructors taught the "touchy-feely" method. Physically touch and wiggle every connector. It works. But sometimes you still have to replace something expensive.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Hooray for the Chevy shop that did not see the need to do exploratory surgery!!!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
You're lucky. If I take my diesel pu to the dealer, sensors start at $300. So I bought the diagnostic software and got the money back on the first failure. If I was younger, I'd put a mechanical Detroit in the truck.

That's the way to do it. People love to complain that modern stuff is hard to diagnose, but that's only true if you don't have the right info. If you have the documentation and the software, you can usually just ask it what hurts.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Flying for an airline when things broke we picked up a mic and called it in to maintenance. They would then send one or two people out to start the fixing process.

One time someone called something in and the MX controller asked if the "oh enn oh eff eff" switch was in the "oh enn" position. A long and meaningful silence followed.......
Old 07-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #9
Guru

City: Anacortes
It is interesting that when something breaks we often start with the most complicated and obscure reason first and then work backwards to the most simple.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
It is interesting that when something breaks we often start with the most complicated and obscure reason first and then work backwards to the most simple.
The definition of a pessimist.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #11
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
The definition of a pessimist.
Or a politician!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ