Bottom paint brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Mahogany

What are your favorite and least favorite bottom paints and why preferably with wood boats in mind

Last edited:
The one with the most copper content
As used by commercial vessels.

Carboline (Altex) sea barrier 3000 for us

The one with the most copper content
As used by commercial vessels.

Carboline (Altex) sea barrier 3000 for us

That is an excellent bottom but I have not been able to find it in USA.

I use Interlux Extra and get no barnacles but slime will form.

I'll switch to Micron 66 at next haul out. It's not recommended in freshwater.

That is an excellent bottom but I have not been able to find it in USA.

I use Interlux Extra and get no barnacles but slime will form.

I'll switch to Micron 66 at next haul out. It's not recommended in freshwater.

Of note, Micron Extra is now on closeout everywhere and Interlux lists a new Micron Extra SPC. From what I can determine based on their docs, Extra SPC is more like Micron 66 (the old Extra was basically Micron CSC but softer and with an anti-slime additive). Extra SPC is fresh water compatible (unlike 66), which makes me think it's a close relative to the fresh water compatible Micron 99 they sell for pro application only and only for larger boats.

Pettit odyssey 60 is being put on my boat. High Cu content but no antislime. Stays working even if hauled. Soft and does ablate on slow speed boats. I don’t mind running a rough towel over the bottom time to time. Tends to last for ~2 years even in warm waters. I do mind hard growth. Do miss tin.

I miss tin too, it was the best.
I’ve been using Pettit Trinidad SR for many years now. It may be named differently now though, not sure. It lasts many years with quarterly scrubbing by a diver. I put a coat of cheap blue hard paint first, then two coats of black Trinidad. When the blue shows through it’s time to paint.

Bottom paints that work well may vary widely depending on location.
I’d ask around locally to get a feel for what works best where you are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom