Boatyard recommendation in San Francisco Bay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdcody

Vessel Name
Sea Sun
Vessel Make
1978 Universal Litton 41 Europa
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a boatyard or other repair service in the San Francisco Bay Area? I have a 1978 41’ Universal Litton trawler with twin Lehman 120s in need of a new exhaust (both sides). I have an unconventional existing setup with older style standpipe mufflers and I need a place that is creative enough to help me decide what my best options are (restore existing system or replace with waterlift setup - which would require some special changes due to some design quirks in my original setup. The entire system between engine and tailpipe needs to be replaced.

This is my first boat, and I was burned badly when I purchased and had work done by a yard which (in retrospect) appears to have done as much harm, or more, than good, and took me for a ride cost-wise. I also got ripped off on an engine survey which (I have since learned) failed to disclose some major issues that I am now stuck with.

I think I got unlucky with the folks I ended up with and I know that there must be reputable and honest services out there - I just want someone I can trust. I know that work on an old, quirky, inconsistently maintained trawler takes a different type of yard than straightforward jobs on a newer boat. And while I have a reasonable budget for the work and I am happy to pay what quality work costs, I am not wealthy enough to be able to write blank checks.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thank you!

Dave G.

I've had annually good experiences at KKMI in Richmond. I'm due in the next month for my annual maintenance (bottom, engine, painting).

Thanks for the recommendation!

I've had annually good experiences at KKMI in Richmond. I'm due in the next month for my annual maintenance (bottom, engine, painting).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom