Boat stored in saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
There is a boat for sale that has been sitting in salt water for two years unattended due to health reasons. I have to assume it was not fresh water flushed. The owner and harbor master have proven to be untrustworthy throughout the survey process.

I have always believed that if the “stagnant” salt water sat it would become very acidic.

What is your opinions and should I proceed with the purchase?

Some boats spend their entire life in salt water, properly maintained, w/o damage. Salt water is rarely stagnant because of the tides.

Salt water is basic in nature, not sure that it becomes acidic, if it evaporates it becomes salt crystals which are basic even more so.

Not saying it doesn't, but my very elementary chemistry education would make me think otherwise.

Strong bases are corrosive so that may answer your concerns.

Most boat parts are resistant to a degree.

I agree with the above comments on salt water and its corrosivity on boats. If the boat has been sitting in salt water with no use for two years you can expect some components to have some corrosion but for example the components in the engine's raw water system are very resistant to corrosion and most will just need testing for functionality and leaks.

Other components like bilge pumps, fresh water pumps, etc. could have problems but these are easily fixed for a few hundred bucks.

So, do a thorough survey of the boat and its systems to catch all that you can, and realize that you will miss some things. Keep a few boat bucks in reserve to deal with them.

David

A boat stored and ignored and not maintained while in salt water will likely show signs of it. A boat stored and ignored and not maintained while in fresh water will likely show signs of it.

The degree of all the above will be based on where and how little activity.

A LOT of boats sat unused in salt water over the past 18 months. All I know of went right back in service with minimal drama. I would just inspect as you would any other boat.

Salt water is hard on some metals but wood sees salt water as a preservative. They say Douglass Fir will last for ever in salt water. Not so but it helps.

Salt water. I have been in marinas where a lot of boats never seem to leave the dock. No idea if somehow they are maintained different than what the OP is looking at. I lived aboard in one marina where I knew they never left. A wash and a bit of heat, keep batteries charged. Haul out, inspect and get a survey.

Get bottom and propeller treatments.

Zoltar says maybe.

You need a survey. Assume the batteries will be dead so bring a portable battery pack. Engines should run. If not you should run. Could be something as simple as a rusty starter or rings welded to the cylinder walls. Anodes will be long gone so heat exchangers might also be long gone. You will need a haul to inspect hull and running gear.

Every boat has a price and if the owner has been less than forthright I would want a very detailed survey.

There is a boat for sale that has been sitting in salt water for two years unattended due to health reasons. I have to assume it was not fresh water flushed. The owner and harbor master have proven to be untrustworthy throughout the survey process.

I have always believed that if the “stagnant” salt water sat it would become very acidic.

What is your opinions and should I proceed with the purchase?

I would hire a totally independent surveyor with no ties to marina and seller for one. what are they being dishonest about? if you don't want to answer publically feel free to PM Me. I have seen many boats that haven't moved in years start being used again with only minimal issues. I know of a hatteras motoryacht that sat in my marina for the past 20 years. It was being used as a floating condo up until about 3 years ago when it was sold and new owner uses it all the time now. I think all he did was a basic tuneup on the engines. I have always heard if you doint change oil in a vehicle once a year it turns acidic as well and will rot the oil pan off but I have yet to see that happen. Just be careful do your research and if there is something not right about this deal find another.

I would hire a totally independent surveyor with no ties to marina and seller for one. what are they being dishonest about? if you don't want to answer publically feel free to PM Me. I have seen many boats that haven't moved in years start being used again with only minimal issues. I know of a hatteras motoryacht that sat in my marina for the past 20 years. It was being used as a floating condo up until about 3 years ago when it was sold and new owner uses it all the time now. I think all he did was a basic tuneup on the engines. I have always heard if you doint change oil in a vehicle once a year it turns acidic as well and will rot the oil pan off but I have yet to see that happen. Just be careful do your research and if there is something not right about this deal find another.
IMO There are many myths / rumors about oils degrading just sitting but I have never seen any credible back up of those "myths".
An engine check should include an oil sample/ analysis that would document any adverse condition of the oil but if it wasn't run the "bad" oil would just be sitting in the pan.
I would be more concerned about lack of anode protection in coolers and associated corrosion if not maintained over that period.

I wouldn't treat it any differently than any other boat you would purchase. It's the responsibility of the owner to have all systems functioning for out of water survey and seatrial. Now if you are buying "as is where is", that's totally different. Think you need to clarify whether the previous sentence applies to your situation.

Ted

A lot of it depends on what condition the boat was in when into storage. If it was "run hard and put up wet" then I would turn a RUN away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom