Boat Soap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the West Marine generic organic boat soap (I think it's citrus based). It's environmentally friendly and does a good job on dirt and bird poop. No issues with removing wax. Have a wide selection of other cleaners for tougher cleaning, but have been very happy with the cheap organic citrus stuff. It's a concentrate that I add about an ounce per gallon of water.

Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: AJH
I use the West Marine generic organic boat soap (I think it's citrus based). It's environmentally friendly and does a good job on dirt and bird poop. No issues with removing wax. Have a wide selection of other cleaners for tougher cleaning, but have been very happy with the cheap organic citrus stuff. It's a concentrate that I add about an ounce per gallon of water.

Ted
Thanks will give it a try

Best of all ...... water.
Works better w a tiny bit of soap added. By tiny bit I mean 1/2 a teaspoon full per 5 to 10 gallons of water.
Many or most will think that’s a rediculously small amouny of soap. Not so. Only a small amount of soap will produce “wet water” and w a brush that’s all you need. Wet water will not bead up like water on a waxed surface and that makes the water much more effective lifting “dirt”.
In the Forest Service we usta add a small box of Tide to a tank on a truck of several thousand gallons. When that water was applied w a fire fighting hose and nozzle it covers a log lieing on the ground and soaks right in. With just a tad bit of soap the water will not run right off hardly getting the log wet at all. And that’s what happends w/o the soap.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody use the right amount of soap in our marina. Lots of suds whenever people wash their boats. WAY too much soap. For our marine environment please don’t use too much soap. Try 1/2 a tsp of liquid soap to 5 gal and see the results. The water won’t seem soapy and that’s fine. No soap at all works quite well but a tiny bit helps a lot.

Eric, in general I agree with you, but here in the Carolinas and much of the southeast, and particularly eastern North Carolina where the OP is, the rivers have a whole bunch of tannins in them from the cypress marshes adjoining them. Not to mention the odd pig farm run off or pulp processor. If you don't take prophylactic measures such as I suggested, an aggressive cleaning method is needed. Left unaddressed, some sort of acid based solution is required to remove the stain.

Best of all ...... water.
Works better w a tiny bit of soap added. By tiny bit I mean 1/2 a teaspoon full per 5 to 10 gallons of water.
In the Forest Service we usta add a small box of Tide to a tank on a truck of several thousand gallons. "

Yeah well....ain't everything all green looking in the forest service?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom