Boat interior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JILLBROWN

Vessel Name
WARLOCK
Vessel Make
1981 ISLAND GYPSY 32
I hope that someone will recognize this material on my countertop and dining table and tell me what it is!

Attachments

• IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 162
Looks like teak Formica to me ( plastic laminate ) .

The edge strips may be real teak but the surface appears to be a laminate or formica product patterned to look like teak as Marty says. Don't sand it.....

Quite right, it`s a fake wood laminate, you probably have it on the flat sections behind the windscreen, either side of the step down forward. Likely used because of sun resistance and non marking qualities. Like it or not, it`s in good shape for 34 years of service.

It Could also be a Timber veneer. Difficult to tell from the photo but is it definitely a plastic or a wood?

It is not a timber veneer. It is a manufactured wood look-alike, framed in real teak.
How do I know? My IG, same build year, has identical material on the table and on the flat area aft the front windows. It is for longevity, and despite cosmetic disadvantage serves its purpose.

Laminate (Formica/Laminex) centre with timber trim is my guess

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Looks like Laminate to me too.

What does the underside of the table look like? Plywood or particle board? If so most likely it is laminate, possibly veneer, but the photo looks "plasticy" which would mean laminate.

Later,
Dan

Guys, its not laminate, its formica or laminex -same thing. A manufactured sheet of plastic (or something) about 2mm thick that has been used on kitchen bench tops since time began. Its on our IG 36. Unfortunately, over time the colour fades from the sun or from being cleaned with abrasives which are a no no. Sadly the colour is not restorable other than by replacement which would be a painful experience to get it to fit perfectly into the teak surround. Even faded its still perfectly water tight and doing its job.

cheers

A little something lost in the translation. To us "Yanks" Formica IS laminate, whether it is on ply, pressboard or whatever.Laminex is something I'm not familiar with, probably a variation of formica ?

Hi Sailor of Fortune,

I guess you might be correct re translations and different uses ................. anyway, this "stuff" comes in sheets, about 2mm thick. Its hard so its probably not plastic. It is glued onto a surface to form the surface of the bench/table/whatever. Its available in an infinite variety of colours and textures. Common name in Aus is Laminex.:socool:

BTW, just to throw a bit of fuel on the fire, I have been a boaty most of my life and the only Trawlers I knew of had catch nets. Boats like ours were called displacement cruisers, flybridge cruisers or in Queensland, Bay Cruisers.:D

Anchors have always been known as anchors though - BTW, what type to you recommend for thick gooey mud?:lol:

cheers

George

Just use solid wood and there ain't no guessing .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 213
Formica and it still looks good. Formica is very paintable, new Formica is easly applied to it, and I've seen it varnished. If not totally ruined, it springs back to life with an application of ArmorAll, the no gloss type.

I like real wood, but not on a meal prep surface. A table is ok, a counter top is ok, but not where I cook. I like stainless sinks and plastic prep surfaces. I use a lot of bleach "when" I clean, which is not often enough, and hate using it on my laboriously contrived "real" wood surfaces. Formica is king.

Looks like Laminate to me too.What does the underside of the table look like? Plywood or particle board?
Underneath I see ply. The layered composition of the table is easily seen at the edges where the flip up/drop down ends of the table attach to the main section. Considering mine is 34 years old it looks in good condition. Hope we resolved this.

BTW, just to throw a bit of fuel on the fire, I have been a boaty most of my life and the only Trawlers I knew of had catch nets. Boats like ours were called displacement cruisers, flybridge cruisers or in Queensland, Bay Cruisers.:D

cheers

George

Haven't asked that question before. Is the term "trawler" used in Australia to refer to pleasure boats with a certain look.

Is the term "trawler" used in Australia to refer to pleasure boats with a certain look.
The generic is "powerboat" or "cruiser". Less kind generic is "stinkboat", as used by "rag and stick" aficionados. "Trawler" is gaining usage, with a little encouragement:).

Marty,

From my experience, trawlers over here are working fishing boats and the pleasure boat style that we all own, as I said, are known as displacement cruisers etc. My wife refuses to call it a trawler as she reckons it doesn`t smell of fish, have nets, cranes or crew that smoke, drink and use bad language (I don`t smoke at least)

cheers

The generic is "powerboat" or "cruiser". Less kind generic is "stinkboat", as used by "rag and stick" aficionados. "Trawler" is gaining usage, with a little encouragement:).

Stinkboat Forum, Rag and Stick Forum...just not very catchy names.

I'll stick with Trawler Forum!!

I like real wood, but not on a meal prep surface. A table is ok, a counter top is ok, but not where I cook. I like stainless sinks and plastic prep surfaces. I use a lot of bleach "when" I clean, which is not often enough, and hate using it on my laboriously contrived "real" wood surfaces. Formica is king.
I agree Formica is some tough stuff and it's perfect for counter tops . I use it wherever it makes sense . It's been around a long time .

Last edited by a moderator:
When we bought Doriana, from the wooden boat enthusiast son and Executor of the deceased owner(son was buying a gaff rigged schooner built of huon pine and needed the mooring at their waterfront home freed up), he criticized the laminate used in the 2 areas as out of keeping with the quality of the joinery generally. That made me think "why?", I realised it had to be for sun durability behind the windscreen, and general durability on the table top. It doesn`t look so bad.

Grand Banks of a certain age use it. On the dashboard, some doors etc.

Marty,

From my experience, trawlers over here are working fishing boats and the pleasure boat style that we all own, as I said, are known as displacement cruisers etc. My wife refuses to call it a trawler as she reckons it doesn`t smell of fish, have nets, cranes or crew that smoke, drink and use bad language (I don`t smoke at least)

cheers

That confirms it. If I use my boom for a crane, I've got myself a trawler. :dance:

Grand Banks of a certain age use it. On the dashboard, some doors etc.

The only laminate on our 1973 GB is the face of the engine instrument panel in front of the helm wheel in the main cabin. Every other teak surface in the boat is solid teak. The bulkheads, walls, door panels, etc. are painted mahogany.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom