Boarding Ladders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most important thing is that someone is able to extend it themselves from the water in case nobody knows they fell in.

We are about to install a boarding ladder on our stern platform, and the one that looks the most suitable is also manufactured by Windline, but is slung under the platform so that it doesn't intrude on the platform itself. We had the same model on our previous boat, and it worked well.

The deeper into the water the ladder extends the better. I.e., the more rungs, the easier it is to get up out of the water.

Make sure that it is strong.

And as Nsail says, you need to be able to deploy it while in the water with no onboard assistance.

Just prior to purchasing our current boat, the previous owner was delivering it to the broker's dock in North Vancouver in early February. Just prior to arrival he stopped the boat and went out to deploy the the fenders. Yes, he fell in, and could not get aboard. Luckily for him someone on a nearby dock happened to notice the top of his head in the water and he was rescued.

What features do you find most important? And why? Any brand preference?
Craig; I've had 4 different kinds of ladders over the years but the one I have now is the best. It resides under the swim platform and not on top where you can trip over it. It also has 3 steps that are under the water and is very easy to climb up. I've only used it once, (2 winters ago) when I took a "header" off the swim step while provisioning. A quick unsnapping of the hold down and I was on my way out of the 58 degree water. Works great! :blush:

Attachments

• Swim ladder.jpg
    Swim ladder.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 258
  • laddwe 2.jpg
    laddwe 2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 163
If you scuba or snorkle with fins, the center post ladders like the Armstrong really are the best. The drawback is they are hard to stow.
ml.jpg

I have had a Garelick under platform ladder for more than ten years and it's been great.

19643_4.jpg

Under Platform Sliding Ladder - Garelick Eez-In

Both Garelick and Windline make good ladders.

That's the one Walt! I remembered seeing one somewhere but couldn't remember where. I think you posted a shot some time back. Would you happen to have a brand name or did it come with the boat?

I need to get one ASAP for not only safety concerns but I'm getting ready to mount Weaver snap davits. I have no desire to drill my teak more than once if it can be helped.

Perhaps something like this then?

Windline DL Sport / Diver Boarding Ladder

It states it can be under mounted with an optional bracket.

There are two other Windline ladders featured on the Defender site that are more in line with what we're looking at. They telescope so are much easier to stow. They come in 3 or 4 rung versions. Unfortunately I can't seem to capture the link at the moment.

That's the one Walt! Would you happen to have a brand name or did it come with the boat?
It came with the boat. Wish I could help but I haven't a clue as to who made it.

Attachments

• swim ladder.jpg
    swim ladder.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 237
Craig; I've had 4 different kinds of ladders over the years but the one I have now is the best. It resides under the swim platform and not on top where you can trip over it. It also has 3 steps that are under the water and is very easy to climb up. I've only used it once, (2 winters ago) when I took a "header" off the swim step while provisioning. A quick unsnapping of the hold down and I was on my way out of the 58 degree water. Works great! :blush:

That's the one! Windline is the brand I'm looking at, but I see Hop car has a very similar Garelick version.

What a timely post, I have been looking for a swim ladder replacement for a while now.

If you scuba or snorkle with fins, the center post ladders like the Armstrong really are the best. The drawback is they are hard to stow.
ml.jpg

I have had a Garelick under platform ladder for more than ten years and it's been great.

19643_4.jpg

Yes, that lower example is the best beyond doubt. I have had the fold down ones which fold back to the transom, and rope ladders and the under platform, slide out and down type like Walts pictures show also are without doubt the best.
They are definitely available here Andy. I got mine thru Bias Boating. Muirs and Whitworths probably also have them. Might have to order one in though.

I have the Garelick mounted underneath the swim platform.
Sturdy and easy to deploy.

Attachments

• SDC10614.jpg
    SDC10614.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 145

19643_4.jpg

Just bought one of these through HopCar. Its a quality piece and stows nicely under the swim platform w/o protruding where it might dig into the side of a dinghy.

I have the same setup Under Platform Sliding Ladder - Garelick Eez-In as on M/V Scout. Previously there was a very good ladder which was hinged to lift up and rest against the transom but it could not be deployed with the dinghy in place or by a person in the water so it was a safety concern. I did use the existing hinge pads on top of the swim platform to mount a handhold to assist in getting out of the water.

Be sure there will be no problems when the ladder is left in place and the boat operated.

You WILL forget,,,,sometime

img_158914_0_f3f23c7d964139ec552f12039bacbaa4.jpg

Great arrangement there Mark, as long as you don't need to mount the dink on the platform, that is. Many do. I know you don't, so really good in your case.

Great arrangement there Mark, as long as you don't need to mount the dink on the platform, that is.

And if you don't mind paying $5.00 a foot dockage charges for a swim platform.

"And if you don't mind paying $5.00 a foot dockage charges for a swim platform."

Actually it looks like Mark could fold that platform flat to the transom without too much work. I wish I could fold mine up to make it easier to fish off the stern.

So far, I've lowered the ladder and platform only once to see how they worked. Otherwise, they've always been in the up/stowed position. The platform is an extra-cost item I got free because the builder installed it by mistake.

A real PIA is paying $5.00 a ft for the anchor to sit on its bow roller.

Getting aboard when you reach a geriatric age is a challenge. Cdn Small Vessel Regs require a boarding device is the freeboard is greater than 0.5 meters (18 in). However the real issue is simply can the ladder be deployed by someone who is n the water. I don't mean on calm day but a moderate sea state,that is the question. Check out USBOAT for a great piece on ladders. Very interesting and will give you reason to think about the problem of boarding from the water. Bill

I decided adding a boarding ladder to my swim step would be a good idea after watching my boys struggle aboard while swimming. I'm fairly certain a 3 step unit would serve us well but welcome your input.

What features do you find most important? And why? Any brand preference?

Thank you.

Jamestown Distributors

Craig

After looking all over at pre manufactured ladders I decided to morph (construct) two real sturdy swim (boarding) ladders into a solid fastened, hinged to swim step, 6' ladder with 6 steps (bottom metal counts as one) and a 1" o.d. knotted pull-line for ease of pulling one's weight up the ladder and onto swim step. Pull-line also is fashioned so it wraps around ladder when it’s in up position for cruising; for security its knot at end slips into the line’s hook-loop that surrounds a railing stanchion. There is also a weakened bungee cord for keeping ladder up when pull-rope is laying loose for swim purposes (hard pull on ladder breaks bungee to lower ladder if needed due to falling overboard. I pull ladder up in night and use bungee with pull-line left lose so free floating weeds don't get snagged on steps.

These are best picts I have. The short blue line around ladder is the knotted pull-line for swimming. The long blue line with center eye, that extends completely across transom, is a tow hitch for our runabout’s tow line.

Attachments

• Ladder 100_0421.jpg
    Ladder 100_0421.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 90
  • TO - 6' Swim Ladder 100_0430.jpg
    TO - 6' Swim Ladder 100_0430.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Ladder 100_0432.jpg
    Ladder 100_0432.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
That's the one Walt! I remembered seeing one somewhere but couldn't remember where. I think you posted a shot some time back. Would you happen to have a brand name or did it come with the boat?

I need to get one ASAP for not only safety concerns but I'm getting ready to mount Weaver snap davits. I have no desire to drill my teak more than once if it can be helped.

Looks like the same sturdy Windline telescoping one I've had for 15 years. Here's one link to it:

Windline Telescoping Boarding Ladder

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom