Old 05-08-2017, 06:04 AM   #1
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Bleuvet rejuvenation

We are in the process of a rejuvenation of our boat. Started some weeks ago as soon as snow melt made it possible.
First thing, new paint in the aft bilge, deep cleaning of the bilge pump that was in a disgusting state, re wiring of the bilge pump with waterproof removable connectors (the PO the wire to force the pump on), and some new grease on the shaft bearing and gimbals (is it the right term?).

New fresh bilge paint (Interlux bilgekote):
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170507_105957.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	64576

Waterproof connectors for the pump (coming from solar panel world):

Name:	IMG_20170507_134931.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	64577

Pump cleaned and finally back in place:

Name:	IMG_20170507_143526.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	64578

V-sitting and saloon benches were sanded, one coat of Interlux Pre-Kote applied, awaiting for 2 coats of off-white Interlux Brightside (we wanted clean benches before putting the new cushions on).
New cooler in the bow insulated and sanded, next step will be to join the insulation plates and glaze it with FB and epoxy.

Lot of work coming ahead!

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
Guru

Another day, another step forward (at least it is in the right direction).
First, joints of insulation plates of the new cooler are done just need to wait for them to dry and I will be able to glazed everything in epoxy and fiberglass.
Second my beloved wife sanded the boat bottom to fix some anti-fouling defect. During haul out we saw some flaking anti-fouling so time to sand it and apply a new coat.
Last, first coat of finish on the benches in the V sitting and the little saloon. First time we tried the roll and tip technique and we were really amazed about the result.
Tomorrow is another day, lot still to do!

My beloved wife full equipped and ready to sand

Name:	20170512_153419.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	64688

When I look at this I think this is a real mess!

Name:	20170512_181611.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	64689

(sorry for the poor pics)

L.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Looking good!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
Guru

Another day of labour:
1. Last paint coat on the benches.
2. Replaces grease zerks on the rudder post tube, and greased the rudder post.
3. Remove the old anodes, well what was left of the old anodes, replaced the rudder anode and prepared support for the other ones.

Below what was left from one of the anode... the one that was in best shape :

Name:	20170513_195454.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	64704

L.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. L_t. If you're in fresh water only you should be using magnesium or aluminum anodes (might be remembering but it's NOT zinc).
Old 05-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. L_t. If you're in fresh water only you should be using magnesium or aluminum anodes (might be remembering but it's NOT zinc).
You are totally right Mr Firefly, my replacement are all magnesium
I found out that not only the PO put the anodes on paint, but also put some paint on it... very useful. Anyway it will soon be back to normal use

For one of the anode, the nuts is so rusty that I will need to cut it to be able to remove it. About the anode on the rudder, well the only left part was the stainless screw, but it is like brand new I will keep it for reuse

L.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I found out that not only the PO put the anodes on paint, but also put some paint on it... very useful. Anyway it will soon be back to normal use.
Anodes will last a lot longer if you paint them, but the adjacent props, shafts etc,not so much.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Anodes will last a lot longer if you paint them, but the adjacent props, shafts etc,not so much.
Yeah I guess the PO realized that the rudder was thicker than the anode so it would need more time to dissolve and he would be able to save 20$ of anode

L.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
Guru

On the menu today:
1. changing anodes: Removing old anodes well in fact cut the bolt in two with a metal grinder as it was so corroded that I was not able to remove it. Than of course cleaned the paint on the two shaft support where the anodes should go. The support were in stainless steel but to be sure it won't corrode there was 3 coat of 3 different color of paint on it.
2. Some touch up on the antifouling. It was nt in a bad shape so we wont recoat it integraly, just did some touch up on place that where bubbling.
3. Removed the wrap, yeah the Bleuvet can see the light (30C today, amazing afternoon).
4. Sanded some chipped paint area on the hull, 3 or 4 spots from the PO and 1 spot due to my lack of skill when docking on port side (prop walk bring me to starboard in reverse), I admit, I am still ver bad when dcking port side.

L.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Guru

Another weekend working on the boat:
Saturday:
1. Sanded some spot to repair on the exterior paint, followed by 2 coat of primer.
2. Finish the installation of the new anodes and tested continuity, everything should be in order.
3. Fiberglass on the new cooler in the bow.
4. Redid the caulking on one of the ER air intake vent on the hull. Found out that the hole cut in the hull was not epoxied on the cut. Sealed the cut with epoxy, used Sikaflex 291 for the caulking, everything should be water tight now. (side note: on another post I was talking about tubing for the vent. Finally I will keep the ugly evil dryer plastic tubing for now and will replace it later on when I will work on the main saloon. The reason is simple, there is no access to it from inside the boat at this time!).

Sunday:
1. My lovely wife cleaned the whole hull, what a job!
2. Some more fiberglass on the new cooler.
3. First oat of paint, wrong white, this one will be sanded and act as a third primer coat.
4. Changed all the o-rings on the fuel fill, water fill and even on the waste cap. Was expecting a flow from hell when opened the cap but not at all.
5. Changed the emergency donuts rope it was totally consumed by the sun.
6. Replaced the engine control on the flybridge, this damned one! It was painful even if so simple. First to remove the old control I needed to disconnect cable from the transfer unit. Was not really sure I wanted to do that but hey let's take some risk, cables were disconnected in 10 minutes. Then I removed the old control, and took a look at the new control install manual... and I realized I was in deep s**t. The lever can be install to push or pull for power and to push and pull for forward gear, excuse my ignorance, I did not know... and I did not notice how it was on the old lever. Ok I looked at the transfer unit and decided to go with push for both. I started to install the new lever, ready to finish the install, damned I forgot the neoprene gasket, ok remove it, put the gasket and install it back... than I realized I forgot the base for install, ok remove it ... OK now I am ready for a dry fit. Damned I have the drill but forgot the bits at home, a quick drive to the nearby shop and problem solved, finished the mount, reconnected the cable on transfer unit... damned it is not correct it was a pull for both not push! Had to redo everything. Finally it is replaced, I will not go over some of the mount or unmount as I thing I did it 6 or 8 times but it took me almost the whole afternoon (this is what happened when you are not well prepared). Positive point now I am able to remove, replace the control in less than 10 minutes!
Talking about transfer unit, I am not familiar with these things, but I discovered that mine was home made by the boat builder, and it is really clever made. I will take picture about it tomorrow.

This is it for the weekend next chapter tomorrow.

L.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Nice work! Sounds like a standard boat project weekend!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Nice work! Sounds like a standard boat project weekend!
Thank you! It was a good weekend except that we planned to take tomorrow easy and work on some woodwork for the boat but at home. Finally we will need to go back to the boat for some more fun as we were not able to do everything we planned. Tomorrow will be hydraulic bleeding, fuel filter change, ER cleaning, and fiberglass in the cooler. Of course if everything goes as planned what I am very doubtful

L.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
Guru

When you think you will be done... you find you have ore to do
The menu today:
1. Bleed the hydraulic lines, a bit messy like detailed in another thread but at least here we are, rudder is moving fine. Maybe some bubbles remain but I will check from time to time.
2. Sorted all the dock lines.
3. Cleanup of the forward bilge that was full of residue.
4. We started the engine YEAAHHH. After one winter on the land, it was time to reconnect the batteries and start the beast. It was a moment of terror, was not knowing what to expect. Turned the key. Checked the battery voltage, 12v to 13v after one winter disconnected. Then was THE time... turned the key a little more... and BANG in a fraction of second the beast was running, started like a swiss watch, even the marina mechanic was surprised. At first he was searching for the priming pump, told him that I was not sure but I think there is none and that I was told the engine should just start like that... and indeed it did.
5. Vacuum on the carpet that was full of dirt after sanding the v-sitting.
6. ER cleaning and degreasing, still need to rinse. In the next days we will be back there to rinse with the hose to have a bright clean ER.

We should be back on the water by the end of the week but so many things still to be done before departure June 1st!

L.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #14
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
How about some photos?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #15
Guru

I know it lacks pictures, and everyday I go to the boat I think I must take some, and at the end of the day when the sun set I think "damned forgot"
I swear your honor, next time I will take some!

L
Old 05-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #16
Guru

Here is the venerable 23 years old engine control I replaced. It is still working fine but deserve some rest

Name:	20170523_172741.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	65069

Name:	20170523_172919.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	65070

L.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Man you two are really gettin after it . Nice work .
Old 05-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Man you two are really gettin after it . Nice work .
Thank you Unfortunately I won't have enough time before our cruise departure next week to do everything I would like to do so we will cruise in a work in progress boat Anyway it is mostly cosmetic work in progress so no drama.

L.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:03 AM   #19
Guru

Update:
Yesterday was another busy day. Went to the boat to cleanup the ER. We degreased the whole compartment and rinse with the hose. Every thing is clean as it has never been.
Put the hull plug back in place.
Wet sanded first coat of paint touch-up, second coat applied.
All antennas and anchor light back in place.
Cleaned the radar arch top, it was reaaally dirty, I guess the PO never went there to cleanup.

We are scheduled to be back on the water Friday 8AM woohooo! I will take some picture of the event.

At least we did everything that needed to be done before getting splashed, next weekend will be a busy one checking all electricals, lights, installing propane, finishing the cooler etc etc etc. We are getting there finally.

Note: I will need to recheck my hydraulic. Yesterday I found out that some hydraulic fluid leaked through the vent at the upper station, not sure why. Also found that when moving the rudder from port to starboard everything is fine (7 turns) but when doing the opposite I have around 1 more turn to do, must still have some air trapped in the line.

L.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #20
Guru

Update after being splashed:
1. Changed a ER vent. A dock line had gone on it and with the pressure the vent worn s now it is back clean and new.
2. Replaced shower faucet cartridge. We discovered yesterday that during winter the faucet cartridge broke, must due to the freeze.

Note: I always asked myself if it worth the price to buy a Moen faucet considering the price difference with some other brand. Today I found out why it worth it. My cartridge broke apart. I went t a Home Hardware store and find out that the cartridge replacement is free... for life! The vendor even advise me to replace it every 2 years at most to be sure not to have any issue! Now I am sold to Moen
3. Fix the engine control cable mount for gear (see my other post to for details). Everything should be back to work now.
4. Installed our new teck flag pole with support.
5. Installed new blinds on windows.
6. Installed linens on the aft railings.

And some more little things here and there (without mentioning the traditional apero).

L.

(picture to come, I swear)