Black Electric Tape! Stop The Madness!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
For marine use always buy the 3M White Electrical Tape that is available at Home Depot. It withstands the heat and sun light better and doesn’t leave a sticky black residue.
Adjustments.jpg

I won't say I never use electrical tape aboard, but it is so rare I don't think I could find one right away. I try to use liquid electrical tape.

One note that may or may not apply, depending on current or future location: The 3M "35" tape is only rated to 32ºF at the bottom end. 3M Super 33+ is rated to 0ºF. I do have some of the "35" for when I want colors specifically; but I tend to use the 33+ (even though it is black) for the better specs (some of the other specs are different too).

I do wish they made the Super 33+ in colors!

(That said I don't tend to use any of them in a truly "electrical" sense.)

Chart for anyone interested:

Attachments

• 3M EMD Tape Vinyl Comp Chart.pdf
    65.1 KB · Views: 19
One note that may or may not apply, depending on current or future location: The 3M "35" tape is only rated to 32ºF at the bottom end. 3M Super 33+ is rated to 0ºF. I do have some of the "35" for when I want colors specifically; but I tend to use the 33+ (even though it is black) for the better specs (some of the other specs are different too).

I do wish they made the Super 33+ in colors!

(That said I don't tend to use any of them in a truly "electrical" sense.)

Chart for anyone interested:

I’m with you. I don’t use the white tape for any electrical work. Crimp connectors and wire ties for that work. But for any project that needs temporary tape I love the no residue white tape. Usually to waterproof my 30 amp cord connection to my 50 amp pigtail. Also to mark the splice on my braided black dock lines so the eye is easy to spot when coiled.

For marine use always buy the 3M White Electrical Tape that is available at Home Depot. It withstands the heat and sun light better and doesn’t leave a sticky black residue.
View attachment 107705

I've always used scotch 33 rarely 88 with great results. Foir proper application it must be stretched as its applied. To seal it in sensitve areas i usually coat it with pvc cement which creates a smooth surface and fills in any holes that may be a haven for water or other contaminants. Also water proofs it.
Never used the white will have to order some and give it a try.:thumb:

I honestly cannot remember ever using black (or white) electrical tape anywhere on on my boat. I have a vague recollection of having used liquid tape, but I doubt it was on this boat. My current practice is buss bars, dielectric grease, self-annealing tape and heat shrink tubing (and fittings). I cannot even imagine a marine circumstance in which tape of any color would be appropriate. While I am at it, I no longer use 5200 either. My only known vice is that I do solder on occasion.

I honestly cannot remember ever using black (or white) electrical tape anywhere on on my boat. I have a vague recollection of having used liquid tape, but I doubt it was on this boat. My current practice is buss bars, dielectric grease, self-annealing tape and heat shrink tubing (and fittings). I cannot even imagine a marine circumstance in which tape of any color would be appropriate. While I am at it, I no longer use 5200 either. My only known vice is that I do solder on occasion.

:)tape can be very handy if of the proper type and seals better than shrink tubing especially if you have the wrong size. Tape always fits is never the wrong size with different colors used to identify different circuits or phase. I have yet to use shrink fittings or any fittings tape wire tec. made in china.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/3m-scotch-vinyl-electrical-tape-for-color-coding-35

On my boat, when replacing the water heater, I found one run of the supply wire to be of non-standard colors. I used colored tape to identify the transition. Otherwise, I have little use for electrical tape.

On my boat, I occasionally find uses for electrical tape, just not on anything electrical. Well that's not completely true. I did use it between a stainless steel clamp accessory and an aluminum railing to eliminate dissimilar metal corrosion.

Ted

When using either 2 electrical cords (to increase length) or when needing an adapter, I will often use electrical tape to try to keep any water (it never rains in this area :)) from getting into the connection. Of course, this is temporary, usually only for a day or two.
This is when at a transient moorage. At the home port, I only use one cord and no adapters.
I also use coloured electrical tape on the boat's wheel. I have put a piece of red tape on the port side of the "top knot" and a piece of green tape on the starboard side of the top knot. In this way, at a glance, I can quickly determine who is the "give way" and "stand on" boat in a crossing situation. He sees my green (go), he is stand on and I am give way. He sees my red (stop), he is give way.
For me, it just removes any "second guessing" or "memory farts". You still have to remember all of the rules and implications, but I find it a quick reference. :)

4/0 electrical wire is 1/3 the cost if you buy a 50’ roll. I buy the red wire and when I need a piece for negative application I wrap it in black electrical tape. I also used the black tape to mark my fuel sight tubes.

Back
Top Bottom