Bimini Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
Anyone know who makes Sunbrella tops for trawlers?* All the sights I've looked at have widths up to 103" only.* The one on my boat is 132" wide by 8'6" long*(approx.).* HHHHEEELLLPPPP!

A good boat top place near you*can sew to match your needs. Where are you located? I'm sure the members can recommend a place to go.

I'm located in Louisiana; refered to as the North Shore area; Madisonville.

dhiggins wrote:

I'm located in Louisiana; refered to as the North Shore area; Madisonville.
As suggested, I'd recommend you contact a Marine Upholstery business or if you don't have one locally, any upholstery shop will likely do, and they can answer your question. However, I would guess that Sunchaser is exactly right. They would likely run a longitudinal seam or two to accomplish the width.

dhiggins
We are also on the Northshore. Welcome aboard! I am not familiar with any quality canvas installers in our area. There was a "traveling" canvas guy that did some canvas jobs in our marina a few years ago. Our Bimini was handled by Dockside Designs in Seabrook, Texas. Premo work.

Whoever you use make sure you insist they use Tenara thread. It's the best thread on the planet for outdoor use and in your region particularly where there's a ton of UV exposure you don't want anything less. If the canvas shop knows what they're doing they'll probably be using Tenara anyway, but if not, don't settle for anything a shop tells you is "just as good" or "is just fine." There's Tenara, and there's everything else. Once we learned about it my wife has used Tenara whenever she sews new canvas or repairs old pieces for the boat. After several years of experience with it not using Tenara would be a deal-breaker for us if we were having canvas made. We'd walk away and find another shop.

Ditto on the Tenara

Tried to find a Tenara dealer......no luck.

Do they make Tenara canvas as well as thread?

Any link available?

-- Edited by Singleprop on Monday 1st of August 2011 05:33:44 AM

www.sailrite.com They have the thread and anything else you need to work with canvas. As far as I know the Tenara brand is only threads.

dhiggins - don't know if you're still looking. I recently had a bimini, seat cushions, and hatch covers done and they came out great at a fair price. Accurate Upholstery, Chalmette, Vincent Caruso 504-214-4580. This was to replace the trash the PO put on it from our local, unfriendly, national name brand "sail loft".

Back
Top Bottom