Bimini Frame Hex Set Screws??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
I have a stripped out set screw on the bimini frame and I think I found it online, just wanted to see if I could get some confirmations that I was going in the right direction..

I think this is them...

https://www.amazon.com/SET-SCREW-28-Stainless-Steel/dp/B001HBUJXO

I think they are SS Set Screw 1/4-28 X 3/16.

Thanks..

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_164134.jpg
    IMG_20200613_164134.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200613_162745129.jpg
    IMG_20200613_162745129.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 35
jef,
Your guess looks good!

Dab a smidgen of anti-seize on the threads too, as SST has low natural lubricity. Use a good sharp hex drive key too, dull tools strip SST, as it is lower yield than carbon steel material.

Rule: torque it 'till it strips, back off a quarter turn (j/k!)

As RT has indicated, measure the threads and the od to determine the correct size.

You currently know the length.

Did the set screw strip, or the SS tubing threads? In general I think the ss tubing is the weak link since it's relatively thin. If the tubing is stripped then you will need to drill and tap one size larger.

And that appears to be a brass set screw? I was thinking it should be stainless, but I can't really think why brass would be a problem in this situation, and maybe even preferable.

For sizing, if you don't have a gauge of some sort, I have found it helpful to take the part to a hardware store and try it against know thread parts. Most storage also have gauge boards with an array of nuts that you can thread male parts into, and studs that you can thread female parts onto. That will give you a certain thread.

And last, McMaster-Carr is an excellent source for parts like this. Also BoltDepot.com, though I'm not sure if they have set screws.

Your local Ace Hardware store has sets screws. Take yours down to get a match. Likely they won’t have enough of them, so try Albany County Fastners. I went through the same thing last Spring, and that’s where I ended up. Decent price and good service.

Don't forget to drill a hole or dimple the tubing where you want the set screw to hold - I have seen lots of tubes pulled free from set screw fittings.

The guy who just fitted my new Bimini made a point of taking out the screws, drilling and pop riveting them. He said the 40 plus years of doing similar jobs had told him the set screws can be problematic.

Pop riveting is fine for permanently erected frames, but it is not going to help the boater who wants to occasionally need to lower the rig.

Pop riveting is fine for permanently erected frames, but it is not going to help the boater who wants to occasionally need to lower the rig.

I should have expanded my reply. Everyone of the fittings is riveted, except one each side which gives me the option to dismantle to flat. If a few were done on then a few spares would be put into play.

I used 1/4-28 X 1/4. Amazon prime. Locktite may help keep them in.

I should have expanded my reply. Everyone of the fittings is riveted, except one each side which gives me the option to dismantle to flat. If a few were done on then a few spares would be put into play.

That makes sense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom