Bilge pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

96commander

Vessel Name
Springer
Vessel Make
Californian 34
I have a 1979 Californian 34. Every time I take it out when I return the bilge pump is air locked. The pump will turn on but not pump water. I have to and water and keep turning in on and off until it starts pumping water then after that it works fine while it’s at the dock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a check valve on the pump output? If so, remove it. I've seen them cause that issue, even on pumps that were meant to have the check valve built into the output.

Is there a check valve on the pump output? If so, remove it. I've seen them cause that issue, even on pumps that were meant to have the check valve built into the output.

I will give that a try. Thank you

I normally take a stick or the trash grabber thingie we use to retrieve stuff that we drop in the bilge (what are those things actually called?) and, while running it, reach down there and jiggle/tilt the pump around a little. This fixes the airlock issue. YMMV

Take it apart, make sure it’s clean inside, and blow water through the hose and check the check valves operation, if it has one.
Check the electrical connections for corrosion or wire breaks.
Test the switch and circuit breaker

Thank you

I normally take a stick or the trash grabber thingie we use to retrieve stuff that we drop in the bilge (what are those things actually called?) and, while running it, reach down there and jiggle/tilt the pump around a little. This fixes the airlock issue. YMMV

Thank you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom