Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2021, 03:23 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Cairns
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 254
Best toy for under $1000

I've been astonished at how much the boat yard has been able to hack out of my steelie with a $1100 plasma cutter. A quick internet search brings up numerous weekend warrior options for a couple of hundred dollars.

It got me thinking, without worrying about power or storage, what are the best items/toys people have/would buy for under a boat buck?

I'm thinking maintenance related like baby lathes, 3D printers, Sailrite etc. As prices and sizes tumble many previously unobtainable items are now well within the reach of the average guy/girl and would be very handy for a long range cruiser.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
Guru
 
City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 620
A cordless die grinder is a great boat tool. I have the Milwaukee M12 version, with their extended battery. I use it for lots of things, you can get grinding stones, burr bits, polishing tools, sanding tools (roloc), sanding drums, all sorts of bits and attachments, it gets into tight spaces and can outperform a Dremel by a huge margin. It's light, compact and has a good run time with the extended battery and is perfect for tons of jobs. Really beats a drill for doing any kind of grinding, sanding or polishing. About $300 with the extended battery. I'm sure the other brands have equivalent units.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...inders/2485-20

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...ers/48-11-2460
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
Guru
 
City: NC
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
...
I'm thinking maintenance related like baby lathes...
A family member bought a itty bitty lathe, at a garage sale, over 40 years ago. That thing is still in use and has come in handy to make stuff. I have not seen the lathe in years but it is only about 24-30 inches long and does not take up much space. I think it is mounted on a 2x6 or some such. It would be nice to have a boat if one had the space.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
Guru
 
janice142's Avatar
 
City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
A family member bought a itty bitty lathe, at a garage sale, over 40 years ago. That thing is still in use and has come in handy to make stuff. I have not seen the lathe in years but it is only about 24-30 inches long and does not take up much space. I think it is mounted on a 2x6 or some such. It would be nice to have a boat if one had the space.
Cap'n Dan, and others too... this site has some of the coolest didn't-know-I-needed-that items I've ever seen compiled on one website. If I had that extra 3' we dream about sometimes...

https://www.micromark.com/
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
Guru
 
City: NC
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Cap'n Dan, and others too... this site has some of the coolest didn't-know-I-needed-that items I've ever seen compiled on one website. If I had that extra 3' we dream about sometimes...

https://www.micromark.com/
Ohhhh, that is a very dangerous website. Lots of cool stuff. How come they did not have these tools when I was a kid making models?

The website does have this, https://www.micromark.com/The-Cool-T...talLine-6-in-1, which looks sorta similar, but smaller, than what my family member got at a garage sale. The link makes me remember, or think I remember, that the baby lathe pieces could be moved to do different operations.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,474
I am seriously considering a Tig/mig welder.

Pay for itself in the first job.
__________________
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #7
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,021
My fav is my bag of Milwaukee cordless tools. Drill, driver, saws all, right angle grinder with bits and blades for all.
Plus a garage sale fein multi-tool ($25) has its own box.
__________________
Archie
Irish Lady
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
Guru
 
janice142's Avatar
 
City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I am seriously considering a Tig/mig welder.

Pay for itself in the first job.
If you buy your own tanks be sure to get back an owner (versus rental) tank. Daddy's were swapped out many times over the years and he lost ownership along the way. Re the tig/mig he bought that too. Welding aluminum is an art. So too is steel. Our 40'er was steel.

You need one. It will fit in a relatively small locker.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SEA WOLF
Vessel Model: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
If you buy your own tanks be sure to get back an owner (versus rental) tank. Daddy's were swapped out many times over the years and he lost ownership along the way. Re the tig/mig he bought that too. Welding aluminum is an art. So too is steel. Our 40'er was steel.

You need one. It will fit in a relatively small locker.
I would buy a welder tomorrow if I could also buy the skills needed to use it properly! Probably worth acquiring both if one has a metal boat; I've had a welder out for one job only so far, so not sure I'd ever use it enough to justify the cost, let alone get good at it.
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:00 AM   #10
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
. Welding aluminum is an art. So too is steel. Our 40'er was steel.

You need one. It will fit in a relatively small locker.
You need a hefty MIG or TIG and power source to do Ally successfully
S/S is done with small over the shoulder sized kit.

I did my apprenticeship building Aluminium superyachts and my welding was Det Norske Veritas and QLD Machinery approved.
Spent a lot of time doing stainless as well and went on to get gas purged and pressure vessel accreditation.
Been a long time but it's like riding a bike, give me half an hour playing with some scrap and I'll be good to go again.

Just one exhaust pipe in the ER would have a small Tig pay for itself at the rates charged here.
__________________
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:18 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: Cairns
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You need a hefty MIG or TIG and power source to do Ally successfully
S/S is done with small over the shoulder sized kit.

I did my apprenticeship building Aluminium superyachts and my welding was Det Norske Veritas and QLD Machinery approved.
Spent a lot of time doing stainless as well and went on to get gas purged and pressure vessel accreditation.
Been a long time but it's like riding a bike, give me half an hour playing with some scrap and I'll be good to go again.

Just one exhaust pipe in the ER would have a small Tig pay for itself at the rates charged here.
Not directed at you but there is a huge difference between a skilled welder and what is required for general jobs or repairs. I'm happy to run a bead for a bracket or to join A to B on a workbench. However, there is no way I would tackle overhead, out of position or structurally critical jobs.

Having said that, the more odd jobs under one's belt the more ambitious you can become. It also allows me to do the grunt work before more skilled hands arrive.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #12
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I am seriously considering a Tig/mig welder.

Pay for itself in the first job.

Have I got a deal for you..... Friend has one that's never been used. Owner passed away. If I could find someone to share it with, I'd pay half and let them keep it, but allow me to use it a few times a year.


Would work great with you, but the shipping would kill us. Wish you were closer.....
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #13
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,945
There's never too many tools, except I've got some that I really should get rid of, use perhaps less than once a year. However, not replaceable, and that one time is probably worth keeping them.


A few nice metal band saws.
Wood band saw

Machine Lathe (sold my big one and now have a small one)
Nail driver (uses bullets to drive nails thru concrete)
Lots of paint spray equipment
Shaper
Keeping my table saw and all of my hand tools. (still, too many)



Now, most of this does not fit on the boat, so I need to do the heavy boat stuff when docked at the home port. And, yes, lots to do.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #14
Guru
 
RonR's Avatar
 
City: Everett
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 604
I would buy a used Consew Commercial walking foot machine. And then with the $$ you make off of sewing up stuff you can buy a nice used Everlast AC/DC tig machine.. so I hear.

I must admit I am more proficient with the sewing than tig.
Attached Thumbnails
sew1.jpg   sew3.jpg   sew2.jpg   Sew4.jpg  
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #15
Guru
 
Max Simmons's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
A cordless die grinder is a great boat tool. I have the Milwaukee M12 version, with their extended battery. I use it for lots of things, you can get grinding stones, burr bits, polishing tools, sanding tools (roloc), sanding drums, all sorts of bits and attachments, it gets into tight spaces and can outperform a Dremel by a huge margin. It's light, compact and has a good run time with the extended battery and is perfect for tons of jobs. Really beats a drill for doing any kind of grinding, sanding or polishing. About $300 with the extended battery. I'm sure the other brands have equivalent units.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...inders/2485-20

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...ers/48-11-2460
Have you used this on Fiberglass? I'm planning on re-coring a few soft spots and that looks like it may work for beveling back the existing deck in tight space.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #16
Guru
 
City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
Have you used this on Fiberglass? I'm planning on re-coring a few soft spots and that looks like it may work for beveling back the existing deck in tight space.
Certainly, it works great on fiberglass. I have a 2" quick change sanding disc set from harbor freight that I use on it. It's a knock off of the 'roloc' system and you can use 3M 2" discs on the HF arbor that comes in the kit. The kit is about $10. I have used it to grind out small blisters to prepare for repairing. Home improvement stores have copies of the Roloc as well, anything with a 1/4" shaft can be driven by the grinder.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012