Best RTV gasket (Project Farm)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
20-min comparison video from Project Farm on RTV silicone products. Screenshot of final ranking, but what wasn't emphasized is the last test - chemical resistance using a soak test in E85 gasoline. Mopar, JB Weld, and Versachem survived a 2-hr soak, most others didn't (none claim gasoline resistance). To my eyes, the Versachem and JB Weld products look like a decent choice as they performed well and are available. I'll probably consider replacing ubiquitous Permatex in my toolbox.

https://youtu.be/ACIzlSanS60

I realize these Project Farm tests are imperfect. If anyone knows of better and/or more objective testing, feel free to share.

Peter Screenshot_20221016-050120_YouTube.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. mv. Unless an RTV product is specifically and categorically called for there is no place for that devil's brew on a boat IMO.

Greetings,
Mr. mv. Unless an RTV product is specifically and categorically called for there is no place for that devil's brew on a boat IMO.
Why? I don't use it much, but keep it around for an emergency. Sometimes, you just run out of tools and have to toss a Hail Mary (spare gasket has a crease or something).

I should mention the time I broke an oil cooler fitting on an old BMW motorcycle when i was 40-miles from Hanksville Utah.....

Peter

EDIT article from Hemmings on what type of sealant to use for types of applications. No caution on RTV. I've heard this before, but wonder why the avoidance. Thoughts?

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2013/09/13/tech-101-how-to-use-the-right-gasket-sealants

Last edited:
RTV works ok for sealing machinery, but a bad choice for gasoline - it expands many times its original volume. In fact, soaking in gasoline is a very good way to remove RTV.

Back
Top Bottom