Best Books on Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikekomm

As a newbie that is about to complete the purchase of a 1989 Carver 4207, I 'm hoping someone can refer me to some of the better books available for maintaining any and all of the systems (plumbing, A/C, heating, electrical) as well as the diesel engines (Cat 3208's)
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I agree with the above. Nigel Calder's book is a classic and the first one you should read if you're new to boating.

Even for experienced D.I.Y.ers like myself, I find Calder's book great for triggering memories of how something was previously fixed or installed.

I got the Kindle version of Calder's book and have it on my IPhone IPad, and multiple computers. It makes a nice handy way to access it anywhere anytime. I also have electronic versions of almost all my engine, electronics, and other systems stored on Google Drive, making them available virtually anywhere.

Tom

I got the Kindle version of Calder's book and have it on my IPhone IPad, and multiple computers. It makes a nice handy way to access it anywhere anytime. I also have electronic versions of almost all my engine, electronics, and other systems stored on Google Drive, making them available virtually anywhere.

Tom

Beautiful shot is your avatar. Where is that ?

Beautiful shot is your avatar. Where is that ?

US Forest Service dock at El Capitan, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska. Most of my good photos are the result of compensating errors.

Tom

As far as the 3208s go...get literature, video or DVD from Cat...I just threw away my 3208 video for basic maintenance when I had them in my sportfish.

Generic diesel stuff is fine.... but specific to your engines is far superior and it is probably out there for your Cats.

3208 service manual and more importantly, the parts manual are available on line for free. Google is your friend.

Is there a "best" book on older diesels? (or just get the air out of the fuel, change the oil, turn key and go) ;-)

Tom

That's a GREAT idea. Didn't even know about the Kindle app for my iPad. Coolness. THANKS!

Talking to a guy now about securing an old engine for tinkering and learning. Probably deal will fall through because I am cheap a$$. But want to have a toy in the garage to take apart, practice and say clever things like "hmmm, what does THAT do?" About a 20% chance I go through with it because shipping costs will likely be through the roof.

Figure if it does work out, I can tinker without cutting into cruising time.:dance:

Ben, if you are not too fussy about the specific make of diesel "shop art" you want, check the local school districts. Tons of them have been getting scrapped (at least in California YMMV) for several years now as air regs have mandated swapping them out for modern.

Also schools/colleges with diesel tech programs upgrade "trainer engines" at the end of the academic year periodically and sell off old ones for whatever they can get to put back into their programs. Many of those go with test stands of sorts too. Happy hunting.

Talking to a guy now about securing an old engine for tinkering and learning. Probably deal will fall through because I am cheap a$$. But want to have a toy in the garage to take apart, practice and say clever things like "hmmm, what does THAT do?" About a 20% chance I go through with it because shipping costs will likely be through the roof.

Figure if it does work out, I can tinker without cutting into cruising time.:dance:

I would be careful about this. I mean, I am not a professional, but diesel engines the age of ours are pretty simple and 95% of them share the same parts as their gasoline brothers. At least in name and function. For me, the only great mystery of my Perkins is the mechanical injector pump, and from what I have learned so far, the innerds of that require some highly specialized tools and should be left to professionals anyway. meh---

TBH, I only see this as a waste of your resources that could be focused onto your actual boat and not a broken down lump in the garage. A good book about diesels would/could serve much of the same purpose and answer many of your questions. That said, I suppose that if you eventually wanted to use it as a replacement motor, perhaps there could be some merit in that. However, your boat's engine has a LONG time to go before it's demise and rebuilding a big diesel to replacement new would take a lot of tools I doubt you have (nor do I). Much of Sand Castle's needs are in the supporting systems. Keeping the engine running, IMHO, takes about the least effort of everything aboard.

Our yacht club has place where professional boat mechanics can dispose of boat machinery that has been replaced. It is cheaper for a "check writer" to pay for a new unit than pay to have it rebuilt. I enjoy picking up these various units and taking them apart to see how they work and scavenging for parts. It's amazing how many pieces of equipment are scrapped for one lousy o-ring.

TBH, I only see this as a waste of your resources that could be focused onto your actual boat and not a broken down lump in the garage. A good book about diesels would/could serve much of the same purpose and answer many of your questions. That said, I suppose that if you eventually wanted to use it as a replacement motor, perhaps there could be some merit in that. However, your boat's engine has a LONG time to go before it's demise and rebuilding a big diesel to replacement new would take a lot of tools I doubt you have (nor do I). Much of Sand Castle's needs are in the supporting systems. Keeping the engine running, IMHO, takes about the least effort of everything aboard.

Spoken like a true tinkerer. Well Tom, in detail, and you know me well...

1. My issue is less the learning than the building of solid confidence. The value for me is the confidence that comes with understanding. You've seen me shrink at mechanical tasks because I never did it before. So there's the value proposition for me, different from your perspective because you are confident in those areas.
  2. Windows, sanitation, fresh water rebuilds are on high my list. Must repaint, patch, carpet and sell a house first before I can start boat tinkering again. Electrical in the mix for the boat, but father down. Need to paint my decks too.
  3. Once done with engine fooling around. I can donate to Cape Fear Community College. They have classes on marine diesel and systems which I may take as well. Of course, I could save on the engine by taking the classes maybe.
I want a hunk of metal I can not be afraid to mess up. Figure out the needed torque to unscrew a manifold bolt and so on without screwing up my own boat's propulsion.

One day, I might have 2000 hours of tinkering confidence, but not yet today.

Is there a "best" book on older diesels? (or just get the air out of the fuel, change the oil, turn key and go) ;-)

I picked up a Nigel Caulder book in that Oriental consignment shop. Don't know if it's "best" but pretty thorough in terms of illustrations and step-wise instruction.

I want a hunk of metal I can not be afraid to mess up.

The problem is that you can't start it up in your garage and see if you did it properly. What good does tinkering with something without being able to gauge your results? Sounds to me like you could take it apart and look at neat stuff, but books have pictures (or in your case... pop-ups :rofl: ) that can show you what you need to know IF (and that's a HUGE "if") you ever need to dig into your motor that deep. If there is ever a need for me to pull the heads? I am calling a pro. :socool:

(/party-pooper)

Not being too smart a**ed...but why can't he start it up in his garage?

.....assuming a few things like good support, ventilation, water and fuel?

.....assuming a few things like good support, ventilation, water and fuel?

That's why. :socool: I knew I would get called out on that, but in the interest of speed, I left it off. Sure, you CAN put the infrastructure in place to do it, but that seems like a lot of effort for just "fiddling around". :D

Battery, starter, pretty large water supply and exhaust, not to mention a stable platform for the thing to sit on, and wouldn't you need a load of some kind? That's not a setup I would really want in my garage as just a learning platform. Not to divert away from the books thread...

So... what other books are there? :rofl:

Sure, you CAN put the infrastructure in place to do it, but that seems like a lot of effort for just "fiddling around". :D

That statement!!!

That Tom is why you and I could never just hang out together on a weekend. You seem to lack the redneck gene. :)

We true rednecks do stuff like that just to say we did :)

There might be sum merit in rebuilding the engine in your garage with all the infrastructure if while you are waiting for your boat engine to give up the ghost, the engine runs a back up generator for your house. You could probably get a few neighbors to chip in as you should have some excess power available.

Tom

That's why. :socool: I knew I would get called out on that, but in the interest of speed, I left it off. Sure, you CAN put the infrastructure in place to do it, but that seems like a lot of effort for just "fiddling around". :D

Battery, starter, pretty large water supply and exhaust, not to mention a stable platform for the thing to sit on, and wouldn't you need a load of some kind? That's not a setup I would really want in my garage as just a learning platform. Not to divert away from the books thread...

So... what other books are there? :rofl:

actually it's pretty easy...we pull engines all the time and run them is just a general maintenance shop...you don't really need a load....just wouldn't try a full power test as I'm no engine mech but start and basics should be no problem if the cradle it's in is beefy enough to even hold it.

Sounds to me like you could take it apart and look at neat stuff, but books have pictures (or in your case... pop-ups :rofl: ) that can show you what you need to know IF (and that's a HUGE "if") you ever need to dig into your motor that deep.

In order to perform the Vulcan mind-meld, I must have physical contact with the object.

Attachments

• VMM.jpg
    VMM.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 167
I have seen several engines running on blocks after they were worked on. They don't need cooling for a quick run. Just some fuel and ear plugs. Could get a little exciting if it ran away on you though. Make sure you have a fail safe shut-off on it...

You can order and down load everything on the motors Like 2000 pages from online.

"can't start it up in your garage"

A water hose and a 12v batt will get anything running.

What you cant do is load test it.

Back
Top Bottom